Anyone have a Mustang?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone have a Mustang?

I'm pretty new at this and normally I just ride my bike wherever I want to ride, or just put it in the back of my BF's truck. I need a solution for though for when he isn't around. I drive a Ford Mustang so there isn't much room on the inside for my bike. (or is there?) I've tried just taking the front wheel off and folding the back seats down, but it doesn't fit that way. I'm thinking about taking off both wheels... but then I'd have to figure out how to put the back one back on. Does anyone else out there have a mustang and any suggestions? I could always give in and buy a rack, but I wouldn't even know what to look for.
    "I want to ride my bicycle,
    I want to ride it where I like"-Queen

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Using old clothes/towels so you don't scratch anything, try to fit as much of your bike as you can into your trunk, preferably front end first. Bungie cord the trunk as closed as it can get using plenty of bungie cords.

This may sound pretty ghetto, but I've done it in way smaller cars and fit up to 3 bikes (2 full bikes, then one without wheels). Never had problems with bikes falling out, and this has been tested through out long road trips.

Or if you have the money and you have a hitch, you should take a look at the Thule T2 hitch mount rack.

mtbr member
    I used to be able to fit my bike in the trunk, both wheels off, with the backseats folded down in my 04 stang.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    I used to be able to fit my bike in the trunk, both wheels off, with the backseats folded down in my 04 stang.

That's just the motivation i need to learn how to take that back wheel off! I drive an 04 stang!

Do you know of any racks that will work with a mustang?

mtbr member
    Sorry I don't, I couldn't put a rack on a mustang!

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. But maybe if there were one that was easy to get on and off... that way it wouldn't be on there all the time.

ballbuster

Hitch rack is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by fatbottomedgirl
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. But maybe if there were one that was easy to get on and off... that way it wouldn't be on there all the time.
    Easy to pop on and off and it won't jack up the finish.

I rented a Pontiac G6 for a project I was working on that involved a lot of driving. Naturally, I took my bike with me. I laid a moving blanket down in the back seat, took both wheels off and stuffed it all in the back. Worked great.

Just be careful about your rear derailleur when you take the wheel off. Sticking out like that makes it super easy to bend. Even a slight bend can throw your shifting completely out of whack.

It also helps to shift the rear dedrailleur down to the second or third smallest cog in back before removing the wheel. It makes it easier to put back on later.

Do it a few times if you are not comfortable with removing and installing your rear wheel. It's pretty easy once you do it a few times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    They make hidden hitches for just about everything. See if they make one for a mustang and then you can use just about any hitch rack.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    if all thats keepin you from putting it inside is the back wheel thing, its not a big deal and probably a good idea that you know how to do it anyways incase youre by yourself and need to fix a flat etc. I can manage to get my XL blur in my honda civic when necessary

mtbr member
    My daily driver was an '84 Coupe. I'm able to put my bike in the back if I remove the front wheel and remove the seat/post. To do this I need to move the passenger seat all the way forward. The fork fits into the far corner behind the driver seat and bike angles so that the rear tire is on the floor behind passenger seat. You have to position the cranks correctly so that the bike fits relatively flat on the seat pad. It barely fits, but it worked well if I didn't have access to my wife's Rabbit with the roof rack.

Here is what I had to work with (probably a bit less room than what you have):
    Signature

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I fit my L Specialized Stumpjumper in the trunk of my '98 Civic. Fold down the seats and angle it in there...
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have an 06 Mustang and with removing both wheels I can get my 21" Trek into it pretty easy. I just lay down two blankets inside the car with one of them hanging out the back half way when im stuffing the bike in. Then when its all inside I just tuck the blanket back in.

It is a bit of a hassle and I think when I get a FS bike I will be getting either a trunk rack or have a hidden hitch installed. From my understanding the Saris Bones 2 or 3 will fit a mustang pretty well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a 2000 GT convertible, and I put my bike in the front seat. It is tight, but works just fine.

1. Remove both wheels.
    2. Remove seat
    3. cover leather seat with blanket
    4. place bike on seat, drivetrain down and triangle (back of bike) pointing forward. The right crank/pedal will be even with front edge of the seat.
    5. With handlebars turned sideways, bike is flat and put wheels on top of the frame.
    2007 Ibex Asta Pro
    2010 Specialized Epic Comp 29er....SWEET
    ------
    Retired: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    my buddy has a 98 cobra mustang mystique and he fits his specialized in the back and i think he only takes off the front tire i could be mistaken but i know you fits it in there

Members who have read this thread: 0