Anyone have a Jeep Liberty?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Anyone have a Jeep Liberty?

I'm thinking of getting a Jeep Liberty and am wondering if anyone has one and if so, are you able to fit a bike in the back by folding down the seats and removing the front wheel? I can store a bike without removing the front wheel in my Explorer, but the Liberty is not nearly as deep. If I can still keep one in there with the front wheel off that should be enough....if not then I'm not sure it will work for me.

Thanks.

since 4/10/2009
    It's possible for me, but it's a tight fit. I have to remove the seatpost to fit the bike in there. Honestly, my Honda Fit 'subcompact' car has more cargo area space (mostly because it has more headroom but also because the seats fold flatter). I think the Liberty is more suited to a hitch rack, honestly.

FWIW, my bike is a medium-sized 4" FS bike. If your bike is bigger or has a longer wheelbase, you might have some issues with length (and have to put the rear tire between the two front seats).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have a 2005 liberty and i can fit two bikes without taking the wheels off, both are 18" frames but you have to lay them down on their sides. I ended up with a roof rack to keep the interior clean but it is possible. And good luck finding a hitch rack that is sturdy and can clear the spare tire. Oh and if you end up getting one visit lostkjs.com. its a liberty forum with tons of helpful info
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper comp

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmurphy
    i have a 2005 liberty and i can fit two bikes without taking the wheels off, both are 18" frames but you have to lay them down on their sides. I ended up with a roof rack to keep the interior clean but it is possible. And good luck finding a hitch rack that is sturdy and can clear the spare tire. Oh and if you end up getting one visit lostkjs.com. its a liberty forum with tons of helpful info
    All you need is a hitch receiver extension. It's not rocket science.

mtbr member
    I have a 2003 Liberty Sport. I started out with a Thule roof system from my previous car. The car is quite high and I found I was the only one able to get bikes on the roof. You can stand on the rear wheel for assistance. I then moved to a Saris hitch mounted system which works much better. There is one catch however - If you don't get a hitch extension of some sort - you will need to take a pedal off the innermost bike or remove the spare from the tailgate. I'm fairly certain bikes will fit in the car if you fold the seats down and move the front seats up a little. Hope this helps. By the way I love the car - I drove across country with it and now have 72,000 miles on it w/ no service issues except a new battery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    All you need is a hitch receiver extension. It's not rocket science.
    hitch extensions in many cases cause more side to side movement then without one ....and believe me i've had a hitch rack with an extension and didn't like it all so i moved to a roof system.
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjmurphy
    hitch extensions in many cases cause more side to side movement then without one ....and believe me i've had a hitch rack with an extension and didn't like it all so i moved to a roof system.
    I agree - I only used the extension in order to avoid removing the pedal. The extension I have also dropped the rack about an inch which is what I didn't like. I just remove the pedal when its my turn to drive someone. If I go solo I have no problems because I put the bike on the outer tray. The Saris does have a mechanism to alleviate some of the play. It's kinda like a bolt that presses into the receiver on the hitch to avoid movement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah, I plan on a hitch or roof system if I get one, but since I live in an apartment I currently leave my mtn bike in the back of my Explorer all the time. It's sort of my garage during the summer Sounds like maybe the Liberty won't work well for that. Not saying I can't work around that...but it may sway my decision a little. Thanks for the info guys!

mtbr member
    I used to throw the bike in the back of my Liberty but I was given this bizarre spare tire mount bike rack that I've been using for a few weeks with no issues.

mtbr member
    Thread Jesus.

I have a Jeep Liberty and for the moment I have been sticking my bike in the back. I just lay it in without taking the tires off, but I do have to have the seats down. With the Front tire off I can probably stuff 5 or so bikes in, but with the seat down of course. I dont have a full roof rack, but I do have the cross bars coming and soon after I should have mounts for the roof.

Members who have read this thread: 0