Anyone have experience with Honda Insight?- Mtbr.com
    My spoon is too big!

Anyone have experience with Honda Insight?

I just picked up a C-Dale Prophet, and have realized that I can't get it in my Insight. Normally a bike will fit fine if you remove the front wheel, but with the Lefty, it's just not a real option. Does anyone have an Insight with a rack fitted? Yakima and Thule don't have anything that will fit the car, other than a hitch mount. Are there other options that might work?

Any "Insight" would be appreciated,
    -mike
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyard
    I just picked up a C-Dale Prophet, and have realized that I can't get it in my Insight. Normally a bike will fit fine if you remove the front wheel, but with the Lefty, it's just not a real option. Does anyone have an Insight with a rack fitted? Yakima and Thule don't have anything that will fit the car, other than a hitch mount. Are there other options that might work?

-mike
    Try asking at greenhybrid.com--this site doesn't seem to have many active hybrid drivers here. Cleanmpg.com would be another resource.

ballbuster

I could swear...

-mike
    ... I've seen Insights with roof racks. I think I have a neighbor a few blocks form my house with a bike setup on his Insight. I'll have to ask him about it.

I love the idea of the Insight. I would totally get one if I didn't need room for wife and baby seat. I like the aluminum frame. That appeals to my inner weight weenie.

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I love the idea of the Insight. I would totally get one if I didn't need room for wife and baby seat. I like the aluminum frame. That appeals to my inner weight weenie.
    Me too! They were already heading the way of the dodo bird when I first jumped on the hybrid bandwagen but I've thought about trying to find a used 5spd Insight. Unfortunately, it's hard to justify replacing a 50mpg car with 4 doors by a 65mpg car with 2 doors. If the new CR-Z gets closer to 80mpg (no stats released yet), it might make the descision easier.

My spoon is too big!
    I've only had the Insight for a couple of weeks now, and I love it more every day. The bike fitment, is my only complaint. I have a 30 mi. commute, and I'm getting nearly 3X the mileage of my wife's Forester. (61.3 avg.) Since we already had a family car, I decided to get a dedicated commute vehicle. I'm also interested to see what the CR-Z is like, but I'm guessing it will be more performance oriented than super mileage.

I asked on an Insight forum, but nobody had a C-Dale, they all just pull the front wheel, and the bike goes right in. One guy said he had two bikes in it once, another carries a recumbent. I have heard that Saris makes a roof rack that will fit, but I'm nervous about putting 60+ lbs. on an aluminum roof. If it proves safe to do, I might be OK with it. I'd probably prefer something that sits on the hatch, or maybe go with a custom hitch mount. I seem to remember seeing a car with a hatchback mounted rack once. It might have been a New Beetle. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Thanks again,
    -mike
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

ballbuster

Dang....

I've only had the Insight for a couple of weeks now, and I love it more every day. The bike fitment, is my only complaint. I have a 30 mi. commute, and I'm getting nearly 3X the mileage of my wife's Forester. (61.3 avg.) Since we already had a family car, I decided to get a dedicated commute vehicle. I'm also interested to see what the CR-Z is like, but I'm guessing it will be more performance oriented than super mileage.

I asked on an Insight forum, but nobody had a C-Dale, they all just pull the front wheel, and the bike goes right in. One guy said he had two bikes in it once, another carries a recumbent. I have heard that Saris makes a roof rack that will fit, but I'm nervous about putting 60+ lbs. on an aluminum roof. If it proves safe to do, I might be OK with it. I'd probably prefer something that sits on the hatch, or maybe go with a custom hitch mount. I seem to remember seeing a car with a hatchback mounted rack once. It might have been a New Beetle. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Thanks again,
    -mike
    That's an idea. I don't think the wife would approve of us buying a car for just me, but this is a thought.

The wife works from home, so we only need one car. We have mo-inlaw's car that we can borrow, and she lives across the street. She might be getting a job out of the home soon, and if she does she wants her own car.

My 96 GTi is a major PITA to get my baby in and out of the back seat. We were talking about gettin a Jetta Wagon or Passat Wagon. Maybe we get the wagon and leave it at home for wife to use, and the Insight when one one person needs to go somewhere.

The thing I like about the Insight is that it has a stick. The Prius does not. I know the Honda Civic Hybrid can be had with a stick, but the thing is seriously slow. FWIU, the Insight is downright peppy becasue they shaved so much weight off it.

I see them all the time on craigslist for like $8-10k. I can probalby swing that.

The weight is perfectly safe on the roof, I'm sure. I mean, the roof is designed to protect your head if the car rolls over, so it has to be beefy enough to handle 60 pounds of bikes plus the wind forces that go along with it. My worry is what roof racks do to the paint and to the mileage even with the bikes off. MY GTi gets 32-33 MPG with no rack on but 28 MPG with an unloaded roof rack... 24 MPG with bikes up there. I went with a hitch rack, but don't know if they do those for the Insight.

banned
    How about off the rear?

Insight Hitch Bike Rack Mod

My spoon is too big!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    How about off the rear?[/URL]
    I'm leaning towards that, but I'm not sure I want to do that kind of mod to my new car. My first idea though was to have a custom aluminum hitch receiver made, but that may be out of my budget. I imagine that the steel version pictured would negate the rear crumple zone...not such a good plan in a car this small.

I'm not worried about the roof collapsing so much as the rack feet denting it where they sit. My Yakima rack dented the roof of my '81 Mustang, and that was a beefy car.

Economically, this was our best choice. I needed a new car after mine died, and there was no reason to get another big car. I paid $10k, and it has the CA HOV stickers, which shave about 5 min. off my drive each way.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

The thing I like about the Insight is that it has a stick. The Prius does not. I know the Honda Civic Hybrid can be had with a stick, but the thing is seriously slow. FWIU, the Insight is downright peppy becasue they shaved so much weight off it.
    The HCH isn't THAT bad. My last car was a turbo Outback and I would honestly say I enjoy driving the HCH more than the Outback, despite it's lack of pep. Both the manual HCHs and manual Insights CAN have some battery problems though. Without the CVT in control, serious hypermilers were starving their batteries to death by running too low of engine RPMs (which resulted in a few replacements and is considered the big reason why Honda is only offering a CVT now). Search the hybrid forums for more information on this if you ever look at a 5spd HCH.

Seriously though, this is my first "automatic" car and I don't mind it at all--and I used to say that they would pry my gearshift out of my cold dead hand. It's not like a regular annoying automatic that is always hunting for the right gear and you are always at the right spot on the powerband in the mountains. There are so many other things to focus on when hypermiling in a hybrid that it's actually kind of nice not to need to shift.

Members who have read this thread: 0