Anyone have a car hitch designed specifically for bikes, not for pulling trailers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone have a car hitch designed specifically for bikes, not for pulling trailers?

I have a scion tc, with a curt hitch. Its fine for one bike, but multiple bikes on a 1.125 hitch seems sketchy. The sway sketches me out with 2 mountain bikes.

I was going to cut off the receiver and zap on a new 2 inch receiver... but I thought if im going to modify it anyway, why use a standard designed for towing trailers?

Two 1.125 receivers mounted outboard, towards the edges seem like it would be perfect for a bike-specific setup. I could likely load that up with a couple hundred pounds and it still wouldnt sway. Receiver tubes are readily available and cheap, the rest could be thule replacement trays and such.

Just tossing around ideas in my head. Has anyone else made a bike-specific hitch and rack setup? Lets see them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've seen custom setups like this where owners use the tow hook mounts and make their own "pipes":

Custom Tow-Hook Bike Rack - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

Anyone have a car hitch designed specifically for bikes, not for pulling trailers?-img20130227181442.jpg

And here's the Mini-Fini Sport-Link that uses a dual mount idea like you describe:

Mini Fini Product Catalog

Name:  Sport-Link.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  82.3 KB

But both are really necessity is the mother of invention kind of things since hitches aren't/weren't available.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Vincit qui patitur
    I have a Kia Soul and use the 1.25 hitch for bikes. I have the Kuat Sherpa and I have barely any sway. I have taken long trips through the Colorado mountains with no problems.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

My car only takes 1.125" hitch, and I hate how it rocks like crazy. That is a good idea to weld something together. That should be fairly cheap and overall cost should be under the cost of a rack like a Kuat, 1Up, Thule, not to mention more stout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I have a scion tc, with a curt hitch. Its fine for one bike, but multiple bikes on a 1.125 hitch seems sketchy. The sway sketches me out with 2 mountain bikes.

I was going to cut off the receiver and zap on a new 2 inch receiver... but I thought if im going to modify it anyway, why use a standard designed for towing trailers?

Two 1.125 receivers mounted outboard, towards the edges seem like it would be perfect for a bike-specific setup. I could likely load that up with a couple hundred pounds and it still wouldnt sway. Receiver tubes are readily available and cheap, the rest could be thule replacement trays and such.

Just tossing around ideas in my head. Has anyone else made a bike-specific hitch and rack setup? Lets see them!
    As long as you don't go over the tongue weight spec of the hitch, any motion is largely going to depend on the rack you install in the hitch. With my 1UpUSA, for example, there is no sway because of the mechanism used to secure the rack in the receiver. Usually sway is a function of the fit in the receiver and there are anti-sway devices you can attach often that eliminate any play (like this). Play is often found with the kinds of racks that have a hole in the receiver and the rack through which you slide a pin.

What do you mean by "sway"? And with what rack?

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I regularly carry 2 bikes on our Sonic and Fiesta with 1.125" hitch (1Up Rack). I find that these help a lot for >1 bike:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...urt/18050.html

They're actually "required" by Curt for use with bike racks.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Im sure the 1up is great and all, but its also crazy expensive. If you're trying to carry 3 bikes with a 1up, you're out a lot of money.

I have a custom rack now. Its a swagman xc copy that I reinforced and modified. The sway isnt from play, its just from the steel flexing. I had a real swagman xc before and drove tens of thousands of miles with it, and 2 bikes. It was fine I suppose, but it wasnt going to hold 3 bikes either. I guess I should have said the bikes are rocking more than swaying.

Theres only so much a 1 1/4 tube of steel can hold up to in resisting twist. If you had 2 mounting points, twist would be eliminated completely by design. You'd only have downward flex on a short lever instead of a ~6 foot twisting lever like on a center mounted rack.

I saw that FRS rack after I made the thread, thats exactly it! Ill kinda copy that, except the mounts will be on the curt hitch. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Theres only so much a 1 1/4 tube of steel can hold up to in resisting twist. If you had 2 mounting points, twist would be eliminated completely by design.
    A lot of the twist is the hitch itself. Moving the mounting points outward will help the that twist too, but while you're fabbing, maybe consider stiffening up the crossbar on the hitch to resist the torsion too.

I'll be interested in what you come up with!
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Bike racks now-a-days have specific locks that tightens the hitch "stinger" to the receiver. This makes everything nice and tight, so no worries.

My Saris Thelma 3 rack can carry 3 bikes. Here's a pic of it sporting 2 bikes on my Prius C.