Anyone ever build a fork mount roof rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Anyone ever build a fork mount roof rack?

I have a '98 GTI with a factory roof rack with snowboard/ski attachment. I want to make a fork mount bike attachment for it. Before I design it, I want to see if anyone has built one to attach to an existing rack. Any help or ideas on what to use for the fork mount, rail, or anything else would be appreciated.

ballbuster

I saw...

Quote Originally Posted by sonofernest
    I have a '98 GTI with a factory roof rack with snowboard/ski attachment. I want to make a fork mount bike attachment for it. Before I design it, I want to see if anyone has built one to attach to an existing rack. Any help or ideas on what to use for the fork mount, rail, or anything else would be appreciated.
    ... an article in Dirt Rag a couple years ago where somebody made his own roof rack trays out of channel alu trays, and old shimano front axles, with some nuts and bolts. The author used an old toe strap to keep the rear wheel down. Seems pretty simple.

beer thief
    Hell yeah, see attached. I'm going to do the same with a rear hub for my Pugs. It looks like sh!t, especially coated in NH road salt, but is pretty bombproof.

mtbr member
    I keep thinking that htere has to be a way using PVC as the tray and mounting it to the crossbars and attaching a fork mount up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was thinking of cutting a pvc tube in half and using it as the tray. I just need a cheap and slick way to make a fork mount..

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofernest
    I was thinking of cutting a pvc tube in half and using it as the tray. I just need a cheap and slick way to make a fork mount..
    I found Thule wheel trays in various lengths at the last REI scratch and dent sale for $.89 each Hard to beat that price, I could recycle the aluminum for more than they cost. I would hit up the local yard sales first. I've used old skewers though some 3/8" ID schedule 40 steel pipe to make some fork mounts. I them welded them to a piece of 2"x2" steel tubing to space them up and mount to my truck bed. I like the idea of the hubs though.

Members who have read this thread: 0