Anyone ever bought a car through Costco?- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Anyone ever bought a car through Costco?

This past weekend I was in Costco several times and was glancing at some of the cars they had that you could buy from their car buying program.

Not sure of who the participating dealers are in my area, but I'm hoping for a Toyota dealership since I'm really, really leaning towards a Tacoma. I've got plenty of time (probably won't seriously consider it until next fall when my Ford Escape is paid off) and I'm perfectly content with what I have now (Escape and Focus).

Or...could go for a Subaru since the local Subaru dealership is part of their program.

Anyhoo....

Anyone had any experience with buying a car through Costco? Are you truly saving that much or is comparable to if you can really wheel and deal and haggle with a dealership? Is it less hassle than striking it on your own? I really detest the whole car buying process, but have been lucky with my last two purchases since I had already done my research and stuff beforehand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a relative who bought from Costco and she said she saved around 2500 on an 06 VW Jetta TDI. She said it was a painless experience and she tried to force us onto it. I thought I saw somebody else on here who bought a Subaru via Costco...

If anybody reading this is military or a government civilian and TDY for 60 days or more to an OCONUS assignment, there are programs available to you for big discounts. PM me for information if interested.

Sorry to semi-hijack your thread.
    Last edited by Mynamesrob; 10-28-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So you're advertising here? That's a no-no isn't it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sorry, I just came across this thread again. And no, it's not advertising, it's free advice to think about your options. However, since it's perceived as advertising, (and perception is everything in society) I will fix it.

Thanks for the heads up!
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

Captain Underpants
    It all depends on the car. If it is a highly popular vehicle, don't expect to get much of a discount. On the other hand, if the car does is not selling that well (the VW Jetta comes to mind). you can usually get an OK discount. Bottom line is that the auto dealr has total leeway in setting the price and is not obligated in any way to Costco to sell the car for any set price. I have walked into dealerships, gotten the Costco price (supposedly rock bottom) and then negociated a further discouint.

If you have good negociating skills you don't need a car buying service. If you do not have good negociating skills, however, Costco or an auto broker can save you money.

PS, I'm not knocking the Jetta--(I have owned 6 VW's)--It's just that the car did not make sales projections when first introduced.

mtbr member

Here is a solution

Costco is a great idea. For cars such as honda, toyota the price is is around 3% above invoice. To more or less get the smallest price possible go to carsdirect.com. They will show you the invoice price on the vehicle of choice. the selling price there is slightly adjusted to the popularity of the vehicle. For example if you are buying a rare or expensive high demand vehicle i.e. Hybirds, new body style, expect a resonable markup from invoice due to demand. A honda or toyota will likely be at invoice or just below. Print out the price and take it in with you. Tell them you want that price. If you are with in $1-300 of that price you have gotten the car as cheap as they are going to sell it. I used to sell cars and i know the business. For your financing, get approved at a credit union so that they have a number to match or get really close to. this is where the real money is made. do your research, be reasonable and you will get what you want.

Members who have read this thread: 0