Anyone else hot for the 2008 STI like I am?- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Anyone else hot for the 2008 STI like I am?

I know they're controversial but I've been staring at pics and vids of the new STI long enough that now I want one. I really like the dark gray metallic color with the BBS wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I also am anticipating this as my next automobile. I dig my GTI, but the 08 STI is sweet. Unlike the purists, I actually appreciate the fact that the STI will now come with some refinements, like, you know, a stereo.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I kind of like it. Some decent performance and other improvements (12 more hp).

The heartbreaker is no ability to put a hitch-rack on it. So I probably won't be getting one. There seems to be more distance between the new STI and WRX, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for everyone conerned, but I'd never put a roof-rack on 99% of the cars out there...just going to suck gas and cost more money, no reason for that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I kind of like it. Some decent performance and other improvements (12 more hp).

The heartbreaker is no ability to put a hitch-rack on it. So I probably won't be getting one. There seems to be more distance between the new STI and WRX, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for everyone conerned, but I'd never put a roof-rack on 99% of the cars out there...just going to suck gas and cost more money, no reason for that.
    I'm considering ordering one. I'm not sure I'd haul bikes with it at all (at least until it gets banged up a bit) and just use my '07 for bike trips. I've been watching several vids online and now I'm completely hooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxCy...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwLDZ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xoyv6rwBeo

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I'm considering ordering one. I'm not sure I'd haul bikes with it at all (at least until it gets banged up a bit) and just use my '07 for bike trips. I've been watching several vids online and now I'm completely hooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxCy...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwLDZ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xoyv6rwBeo

lol i was there at the K1 checking out that new 08 STI. i definitly like it.
    i also talked to the guy who drove the 08 STI in and he said they offer a smooth looking factory roof rack too.
    i have a 07 STI with a yakima roof rack which i use to carry my bike around.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris85xlt
    lol i was there at the K1 checking out that new 08 STI. i definitly like it.
    i also talked to the guy who drove the 08 STI in and he said they offer a smooth looking factory roof rack too.
    i have a 07 STI with a yakima roof rack which i use to carry my bike around.
    Did the interior look to be of decent quality? Any "cheap" feel to it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Did the interior look to be of decent quality? Any "cheap" feel to it?
    dude i love the interior. especially the seats!
    its not top quality like from a Lexus but better then the older subarus like my 07.
    you should definitly check it out.

Nat
    mtbr member
    dude i love the interior. especially the seats!
    its not top quality like from a Lexus but better then the older subarus like my 07.
    you should definitly check it out.
    Did you get to sit in the seats? I take it they felt supportive enough, hey? Some folks on a Subie board were wishing for the Japan market Recaros instead of the US market seats.

This is making me want one even more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    from a performance standpoint i don't know that i'd go with the new sti. the new model is going to be the most expensive iteration yet, and is only getting a few extra hp. new styling on an old platform doesn't sell me a car. it is still to early to tell how the new model will hold up to the last gen, but i'm not sold. i think i'd rather opt for the last model ('06) Evo Rs, which was track proven just as fast as the sti, but slightly less expensive and maintained the small car with 300hp appearance, which none of the new models really have that going for them. the car companies are trading in racing heritage for consumer accommodation's, like side curtain air bags.

i'd buy the sti if i could have an option where i get it matte colored paint, roll cage, no air bags, and five-point safety harness, oh, and no carpet, just give me a rubber floor liner.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, it's around $40K after everything is said and done. That's a pretty penny.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Work
    from a performance standpoint i don't know that i'd go with the new sti. the new model is going to be the most expensive iteration yet, and is only getting a few extra hp. new styling on an old platform doesn't sell me a car. it is still to early to tell how the new model will hold up to the last gen, but i'm not sold. i think i'd rather opt for the last model ('06) Evo Rs, which was track proven just as fast as the sti, but slightly less expensive and maintained the small car with 300hp appearance, which none of the new models really have that going for them. the car companies are trading in racing heritage for consumer accommodation's, like side curtain air bags.

i'd buy the sti if i could have an option where i get it matte colored paint, roll cage, no air bags, and five-point safety harness, oh, and no carpet, just give me a rubber floor liner.
    I've read that Subaru is trying to go up-market from the previous STI's, and I think they've hit the target market of which I'm squarely in the center: middle-age, children, decent income, wants performance but more likely to tote kids to practice than go to a track (but is entertaining the idea of track days). Bingo.

• I have two kids so I need adequate rear seats, and that rules out two-seaters.
    • I want the safety features such as side curtain air bags, since this would be a family car.
    • I'm a 40 year-old professional, so I really don't want anything boy-racer in appearance (such as a massive combat wing). My '07 wagon with a fart pipe pushes the boundaries as it is.
    • I live in a snowy area and want AWD, so that rules out RWD cars in similar price range.
    • 304hp is still more than enough to get my groceries home after daycare pickup.

Man, did Subaru read my mind before they built this car?

I'm trying to come up with a list of other cars near $40K that fulfill what I want. The BMW 335xi is all that's coming to mind. I wouldn't complain about having one of those either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    -the 08 makes around 10hp more then the 07 STI's but the 08 is lighter.
    -the car starts at $35XXX which is alittle more then the 07 models
    -the car has side air bags. hell even my 07 has it. the Subaru Impreza is also the only 5 star rated small car. http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/a...Nearly-Triples
    -the 08 STI seats are way more comfortable and still nice and supportive (yes i sat in it)
    - the car is mostly new with new rear suspension, different length wheelbase and etc. ( i peeked underneath it at the showing and talked to the R&D engineerers).
    -rear seat has more leg room but less trunk space then the older wagon and the doors open 90 degrees which i thought was way cool. I wish i had those doors last week when i had to wrestle a stripped down MTB into the back seat.
    -awd FTW
    -NAT is right how it lost some of its school boy racer look which i like. my 07 STI is a magnet to cops and ricers

just have to remember this isnt some comfortable luxo car and it still comes in manual only.

Elitest thrill junkie
    -the 08 makes around 10hp more then the 07 STI's but the 08 is lighter.
    Subaru claims it's lighter, everyone whos weighed it reports that it's heavier.
    -the car starts at $35XXX which is alittle more then the 07 models
    Well, 37000 with the BBS wheels, 39000 with nav, but in any case, with the 35-36 for the base model, you're going to be out the door very near to 40K.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    NAT is right, and i'll be the first to admit that one day every little boy with his toy car has to grow up and tote the kids around, but thats what the subaru legacy was for. they all ready have an "adult" car, with a more mature styling, slightly less fantastic track numbers (but still good for it size), and all the amenities that one would look for with a family car. stylizing the STi as a upscale sports wagon doesn't fit the cars racing ego. that was my point from earlier. If subaru had something a little more true to sport car styling i'd be happier with the new model, but the fact is i see this change of course as a proverbial "slippery slope". luxury and performance can be balanced in a car very well, but one always suffers in the mix. i hate to see the performance be the thing to go.

god, when is lotus going to make an AWD?

Coors, the american beer.
    its like acura getting rid of the RSX and coming out with the TSX coupe eventually

not that the RSX was that popular anyway, because for what it cost everyone bought evos / sti's instead
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Elitest thrill junkie
    I could go for the Legacy 3.0 R, the 3.0 H6 engine. That's one smooth engine.
    Last edited by Jayem; 11-23-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Work
    NAT is right, and i'll be the first to admit that one day every little boy with his toy car has to grow up and tote the kids around, but thats what the subaru legacy was for. they all ready have an "adult" car, with a more mature styling, slightly less fantastic track numbers (but still good for it size), and all the amenities that one would look for with a family car. stylizing the STi as a upscale sports wagon doesn't fit the cars racing ego. that was my point from earlier. If subaru had something a little more true to sport car styling i'd be happier with the new model, but the fact is i see this change of course as a proverbial "slippery slope". luxury and performance can be balanced in a car very well, but one always suffers in the mix. i hate to see the performance be the thing to go.

god, when is lotus going to make an AWD?
    I've thought about the Legacy, but I just like the styling of the Imprezas better. It feels one notch closer to racing heritage. The Legacies feel one level too old and practical perhaps. Maybe the new STI will appeal to all those guys like me who are resisting maturity, yet are inseparable from the demands of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i can see your point. the only people i've ever known to drive legacies weren't exactly living "it" up. most have been doctors, or people of that nature, and i wouldn't consider one myself. and who knows, Sti's are great sport car turned family sedan packages, and will probably continue to be so. did i get the order right? sport car then sedan? or sedan then sport car?

mtbr member
    I like the new sti but I really can't justify another one. I tried to think about what really the 08 has over my 04 and really it isn't much. It's newer sure. I really don't care about the interior as long as everything is laid out right. I like the exterior of both cars. The biggest thing for me would be in the 08 I could leave the rear seat in and still haul my bikes around. In my 04 I have the rear seat out most of spring, summer and fall.

I'm throwing around the idea of just getting a forester or legacy wagon to go along with my sti. It would cost me about the same at this point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial
    I like the new sti but I really can't justify another one. I tried to think about what really the 08 has over my 04 and really it isn't much. It's newer sure. I really don't care about the interior as long as everything is laid out right. I like the exterior of both cars. The biggest thing for me would be in the 08 I could leave the rear seat in and still haul my bikes around. In my 04 I have the rear seat out most of spring, summer and fall.

I'm throwing around the idea of just getting a forester or legacy wagon to go along with my sti. It would cost me about the same at this point.
    have u checked out the Forester FXT?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Well, I placed my pre-order last night for an '08 STI, dark gray metallic with BBS wheels/Navigation package. We'll see what I can get for my '07 WRX.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, I placed my pre-order last night for an '08 STI, dark gray metallic with BBS wheels/Navigation package. We'll see what I can get for my '07 WRX.
    That's going to be bada$$.

Nat
    mtbr member
    That's going to be bada$$.
    I bet it will! I spent most of this morning test driving and negotiating for a new BMW 335xi that my wife thought she wanted. What struck me was that while that car is fast and high-powered, it did not give me the sensation of being so. My WRX with its rumble, road noise, turbo whine, and slight turbo lag make me feel like I'm in a slingshot or high-powered go-kart. Even at 95mph the 335xi felt rock-steady, so it'd be a much better grand tourer, but for city driving I'd grab the WRX keys without a doubt. So hopefully the STI will feel like the WRX on amphetamines.

mtbr member
    I've thought about the Legacy, but I just like the styling of the Imprezas better. It feels one notch closer to racing heritage. The Legacies feel one level too old and practical perhaps. Maybe the new STI will appeal to all those guys like me who are resisting maturity, yet are inseparable from the demands of it.
    That's the reason I went with my Legacy. It may be a little plain and it may be mistaken for a Camry from behind but it's got certain lines (along with the scoop) that hint of it's power underneath. My friends are always impressed and tell me that they never knew Subaru had such a beast in their lineup.

FWIW, I'm in my 30's, single and have no kids. It was a little strange going for a 4 door sedan which will rarely see a passenger but I guess I was sucked in by the luxury features and looks over the Impreza.

Scooby Driver
    Feb 2005
    So hopefully the STI will feel like the WRX on amphetamines.
    I've heard from my friend that has driven the new STI that it has lost some of it's rawness, but it's still a lot of fun to drive. I love my quirky, rumblely and noisy stage 2 bugeye, but it's time for something new.

I'm definitely getting one, but I'm waiting until March so I don't have to deal with getting a set of all-season tires just to get the car home from the dealership.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I regularly park near an '07 STI at work, and I always expected a boy-racer to own it. This past week I finally saw the owner, and it was some old guy in his 50s! That said, I'm not too surprised because one of the first Evo's I saw on the street was being driven by an old guy in the nearby "active adult community."

I just couldn't get past the quality of the interior on the (at the time) '05 STI compared to the Legacy/Outback's. Worlds different in ride quality on the freeway as well (and my wife insisted we get an auto).

I finally went "stage 2" on the Outback, so am making stock STI power now. That and a close to 3" drop with a set of coilovers has transformed the car, and hopefully will be enough to keep me from having STI envy (and good deal on getting one pre-ordered. Can you do the IMBA VIP pricing on pre-orders?).

mtbr member

Probably my next new car...but not for a long while.

I agree that the new STI will be a great car. I love the fact that it's a hatch, where I can't even put the back seat down in my Evo (or the current STi for that matter). With the STI you can carry a bike or skis around inside the car. I am still complety amazed with my current car though (on year 3), so it will be a long time before I would move on.

I think that between the current generation Evos and STi's the Evo is the more nimble, sporting car...but I think that roles have changed for the next generation of rally rockets.

The STI will probably fit the bill for me...but quad exhaust on a single turbo 4...seriously, why?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    I regularly park near an '07 STI at work, and I always expected a boy-racer to own it. This past week I finally saw the owner, and it was some old guy in his 50s! That said, I'm not too surprised because one of the first Evo's I saw on the street was being driven by an old guy in the nearby "active adult community."

I just couldn't get past the quality of the interior on the (at the time) '05 STI compared to the Legacy/Outback's. Worlds different in ride quality on the freeway as well (and my wife insisted we get an auto).

I finally went "stage 2" on the Outback, so am making stock STI power now. That and a close to 3" drop with a set of coilovers has transformed the car, and hopefully will be enough to keep me from having STI envy (and good deal on getting one pre-ordered. Can you do the IMBA VIP pricing on pre-orders?).
    I've read on a Subaru messageboard about guys getting the IMBA deal on the new STI. They said to take the deal before Subaru puts the kibash on it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    With the STI you can carry a bike or skis around inside the car. I am still complety amazed with my current car though (on year 3), so it will be a long time before I would move on.
    I dunno, maybe 1 bike, but the cargo area is about 3" shorter with the new hatch-style sti and wrx. It was difficult enough fitting my bike in the back of the wrx wagon a few times, although without the front wheel I'm sure you could get it in there. Skis? Again, I'd think that the length may be a limiting factor, and will not fit as easily as with the old generation. The new generation does have wider spaced wheel wells, which increases some of the usability of the rear storage area. They sacrificed that room to increase the legroom of the rear passengers and reduce the rear overhang of the car.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    theres a review of the new STI at edmunds.com

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    I could go for the Legacy 3.0 R, the 3.0 H6 engine. That's one smooth engine.
    the legacy 3.0r is the $hit. sucks they only come in auto

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Forget Imprezas, their just learner cars!!

Buy a Evo and turn to the dark side!!!

The evo x is just around the corner!!!

http://www.lancerregister.com/home.php

Elitest thrill junkie
    The evo X is bigger and heavier, not better. I'd rather have the STI out of the 2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    have u checked out the Forester FXT?
    Here is a shot of my 2005 FXt 5spd. I had upgraded to an inverted Sti suspension with JDM pink Sti springs (the good ones), Group N tops, Sti rear swaybar(front was the same as the stock FXt), and the Sti forged BBS wheels and tires. Enginewise, I was running a catless up-pipe, the Sti vf39 turbo, sti top mount intercooler, cobb DP, ProDrive cat-back, and a cobb ap engine management unit providing the tuning to bring it altogether. Handled like a slot car, and was very fast, especially for a wagon! This pic is without the roof rack, but it usually wore the rack with fork mounts, and at least one of my bikes on top.... .

I previously owned a fairly heavily tuned stage 3 WRX back in 2002, and can attest to the fact that Subarus are great cars and easy to work on. Not luxurious at all mind you, but great performance potential, reliable as the day is long, and also a functional, safe ride to boot. Heres the Fxt:

As to the new Sti I didn't really like the car at first, then I saw one on the road and really liked the look. Based on the added weight though, and feedback regarding the car having some spool-up issues, as well as some negative feedback regarding the handling traits I would need to spend a little wheel time before buying the car. Thats easier to say than do though, especially with a brand new model. Most dealerships are reluctant to let you take off on your own to hit a few twisty backroads. Its not good Karma to run the pi$$ out of a new car that doesn't belong to you either. In the end you have to balance what you read in the rags, and hear from people that actually own the cars. I am sure the Sti's powerband issues can(and will) be remedied with some tuning or possibly a new turbo, but thats an added front-end investment to a manufacturers special that should provide a better baseline off the show-room floor.

Unfortunately too many of the new cars like the EVO and Sti are getting heavier and losing their raw edge. They have certainly added new technology and more bells and whistles as well as an escalating price. For some thats a good thing (ok maybe higher prices just suck period), but if you like to drive fast cars with a visceral feel, and aren't as concerned about creature comfort its a bad thing. Just my .02 and only my personal perspective as an owner of many tuned performance cars in the past.

JR

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    So, what's the deal? Do you have the thing yet or what?
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    So, what's the deal? Do you have the thing yet or what?
    The first STI just showed up in Bend on Monday. I saw it as the transport truck drove past me. If I hadn't been on my way up to go snowboarding, I would've whipped a U and followed him to the dealership.

Regardless, since the initial excitement my focus has changed so I did not follow up with my pre-order. I am now shopping for a Porsche 911 instead.

mtbr member
    i like the looks of the old style better 05 was my favorite, gotta love the huge wing and true to past gold rally rims

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm all for the STi, but in the latest Car & Driver, Road & Track & Motor Trend, they all voted the new Evo over the STi. In the C & D issue, it even lost against the R32 in a three way comparison.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy
    i like the looks of the old style better 05 was my favorite, gotta love the huge wing and true to past gold rally rims
    Uyyyy, the massive combat wing is what kept me away from th old STi's. It's too juvenile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by profec291
    I'm all for the STi, but in the latest Car & Driver, Road & Track & Motor Trend, they all voted the new Evo over the STi. In the C & D issue, it even lost against the R32 in a three way comparison.
    The R32 was always back of the pack. And in my book the EVO has always beat the STi by a nose. In older gens it was easy to tune the EVO to be as strait line fast as the STi, but really hard to tune the suspension of the STi to handle like a EVO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Been around the back with an 07 STi. During my 1 year of ownership it went from bone stock at around 250whp to all out at 430whp and back to stock. I would say that this was the fastest and most fun car that I have ever owned and at its peak you really didn't have to worry about too many other cars on the road. My issues were the boy racer look that I thought I could get over (mine was sliver/silver wheels), but never did. The back seats were useless and the car just rattled way too much for a $32K car. I do like the new sti a bit better as the get rid of the big wing that was on the trunk by going to the hatch back design and the new interior is so much nicer. For what MSRP is on the new 08' I wish they would have put more into the motor (transmission is bullet proof on them) and worked a bit more on the interior fit-n-finish. The STi, when I had it was a 2nd car, so the back seat and boy racer look wasn't too big of a deal. However, when I sold my SUV, and the STi became the primary it got old really quick and I traded it on a larger 4 door sedan. I just needed something that was a bit more professional that I could drive clients around in and the STi just wasn't going to cut it.

I would definitely choose an STi over an EVO if service and warranty support are important to you. Subarus get much higher customer statisfaction marks. With the performance numbers being so close between those cars the warranty and service gives the subaru the edge.

Good luck with your new car and post pics of it on one of the boards.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    Here is a shot of my 2005 FXt 5spd. I had upgraded to an inverted Sti suspension with JDM pink Sti springs (the good ones), Group N tops, Sti rear swaybar(front was the same as the stock FXt), and the Sti forged BBS wheels and tires. Enginewise, I was running a catless up-pipe, the Sti vf39 turbo, sti top mount intercooler, cobb DP, ProDrive cat-back, and a cobb ap engine management unit providing the tuning to bring it altogether. Handled like a slot car, and was very fast, especially for a wagon! This pic is without the roof rack, but it usually wore the rack with fork mounts, and at least one of my bikes on top.... .

I previously owned a fairly heavily tuned stage 3 WRX back in 2002, and can attest to the fact that Subarus are great cars and easy to work on. Not luxurious at all mind you, but great performance potential, reliable as the day is long, and also a functional, safe ride to boot. Heres the Fxt:

As to the new Sti I didn't really like the car at first, then I saw one on the road and really liked the look. Based on the added weight though, and feedback regarding the car having some spool-up issues, as well as some negative feedback regarding the handling traits I would need to spend a little wheel time before buying the car. Thats easier to say than do though, especially with a brand new model. Most dealerships are reluctant to let you take off on your own to hit a few twisty backroads. Its not good Karma to run the pi$$ out of a new car that doesn't belong to you either. In the end you have to balance what you read in the rags, and hear from people that actually own the cars. I am sure the Sti's powerband issues can(and will) be remedied with some tuning or possibly a new turbo, but thats an added front-end investment to a manufacturers special that should provide a better baseline off the show-room floor.

Unfortunately too many of the new cars like the EVO and Sti are getting heavier and losing their raw edge. They have certainly added new technology and more bells and whistles as well as an escalating price. For some thats a good thing (ok maybe higher prices just suck period), but if you like to drive fast cars with a visceral feel, and aren't as concerned about creature comfort its a bad thing. Just my .02 and only my personal perspective as an owner of many tuned performance cars in the past.

JR
    Too true mate, i own a evo 5, one if not the last evo with all aluminum panels, hood/bonet, and boot. and the power delivery in the newer versions as you mentioned ain't as raw. I could of bought a evo 8 at the time (2005) but did chose a 5 for it's rallying pedigree, looks and rareness (uk). change the suspension to coilovers, stick some decent pads and rubber on a 5, and pound for pound it will be there up with all the newer versions, but with better looks

jrm
    mtbr member

Nice badass FXT..

nice STi swap...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I like that the new sti looks a lot like my 05 civic si hatch, but with double the doors, double the drive wheels and double the horse power. Alas I don't think the sti will get a solid 30mpg and run on regular gas. And of course it cost more then twice as much.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    I like that the new sti looks a lot like my 05 civic si hatch, but with double the doors, double the drive wheels and double the horse power. Alas I don't think the sti will get a solid 30mpg and run on regular gas. And of course it cost more then twice as much.
    Definitely not regular gas. Premium only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead XC
    Nice car!

Members who have read this thread: 0