Anyone else drive an HHR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Anyone else drive an HHR?

If anyone else does, what is your set up. What rack, brand, mounting spot, etc. are you running? I'm waiting on Yakima's Hold Up to finally ship to dealers, apparently the HHR is "un-yackable" so I decided to go with a hitch mount. I am tossing around the idea of installing their permanent tracks on the roof and running a rack up there too. Has anyone else installed Yakima's permanent tracks?

mtbr member
    I don't have one but I have been looking at them. I was looking at an 08 LS panel Its tempting they are so cheep. But im having problems with the fact that there isnít a roof rack for them. Im still looking at a forester. But I did think about the same thing you did putting the yak tracks on the roof and just using the hardware for the rack I have on the cap of my tacoma. If you go to thule they have a feet for the factory rails for the 07s im betting the 08s arenít much deferent.

igoslo
    Oh, if you're not afraid to drill it, you can Yak it. I'm thinking about going this route soon on my Element, the current bar spread is fine for snowsports and the like but way too short for canoes and kayaks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    As I said, I've been contemplating on the tracks. Other than the whole I don't want to drill holes in the roof of my new car thing, I'd still prefer the roof rack. After a few months I'm sure I won't care.

Pulser - I drive an 07 1LT and I'm nothing but impressed by it. 24-5 mpg city and 27-8 hwy. I just hit 50,000 miles and it runs better than ever. I can fit two bikes in the back with the seat down (no front wheel of course) and the built in mp3 jack and the speakers make the drive even better. The only complaint I have is the windshield is a little small, but I'm used to driving suv's and mid size trucks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JGill
    As I said, I've been contemplating on the tracks. Other than the whole I don't want to drill holes in the roof of my new car thing, I'd still prefer the roof rack. After a few months I'm sure I won't care.

Pulser - I drive an 07 1LT and I'm nothing but impressed by it. 24-5 mpg city and 27-8 hwy. I just hit 50,000 miles and it runs better than ever. I can fit two bikes in the back with the seat down (no front wheel of course) and the built in mp3 jack and the speakers make the drive even better. The only complaint I have is the windshield is a little small, but I'm used to driving suv's and mid size trucks...

Nice to know i havent talked to any one that has an HHR. Im in Colorado so i wonder how it would do up in the mountians. I am inpressed with it for being a chevy. If i get one im going to have to order it. Im probly going to get one with the factory roof rales so i dont have to drill holes in the roof. The one i looked at the dealer the rrof was kind of soft it flexed alot when i pushed on it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I looked into having the chrome factory rails installed but GM wants like $300 bucks for them and another $200 to install them. Which is why I I'd with the Yakima tracks. I checked the roof for flex before I bought it and after I saw that Yakima didn't make any towers for it, I didn't find it too concerning. If I'm not mistaken I think the HHR's now have some kind of airbag that deploys to cover side impacts (a problem I guess that had the first model year...) Maybe that is why, Yakima's lawyers were being on the safe side, I don't know. But you're right, it's not bad for a Chevy. Parts are cheaper, not to mention the car itself is cheaper. Insurance was suprisingly low too. I've talked to a few people that drive them in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana and they all feel the same way I do about the car whether its snowing, hot, in the mountains, or in rain. If I could just get a rack up top...
    Last edited by JGill; 05-05-2008 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have an '06...

I can fit three bikes in the back with the seats down, front wheels off, and without dropping or removing the seat posts. I have a hitch and Saris Cycle-On for hauling bikes with people in the car. I can easily get 27 HWY with bikes on the back.

I would not recommend putting a rack up top. I have the side rails and the roof flexes with little effort, plus the roof is only rated for somewhere between 100-150 lbs (plenty for a bike) but think of the winds and the extra forces it sends to the rack.

I have never heard of any issues with the side air bags on the '06s, mine has the side bags.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah I decided to go ahead and get a new dj bike instead of mess with the roof rack. Right now it is getting old cleaning the inside of my car out every week after we ride. It's been raining every 2 or 3 days here in Oklahoma. The Yakima Hold Up "should" be here Friday.

Endeavorc - Thanks for your input! How can you fit the bikes inside with the seatposts still in the bikes?? I mount mine on fork mounts I installed on the tray that covers the spare tire and jack. Do you lay the bikes on their sides? If there is a way to fit more than two upright I would be psyched!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Depending on the size of the bike, it will fit upright. I do have to remove the adjustable "shelf" from the floor and take out the little storage compartment from behind the rear seats so the crank will not hit. The fork goes toward the rear seat.

You have ~43" of height to play with after the cargo cover is removed, if your seat is higher than that you would need to lower the seat.

Members who have read this thread: 0