Anyone Drive a Fusion?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Anyone Drive a Fusion?

I need to downsize and I'm thinking the Ford Fusion is my best bet. Can get a ~2008 V6 SEL for about $11,000.

Any input you have would be great, would LOVE to see a photo of a fusion with a roof rack on it. How does it drive in snow? Gas milage?
    adam michigan karate monkey

mtbr member
    What are you driving now?

that 11 grand equates about 4100 gallons of gas, even at 15mpg thats over 60,000 miles. At 12k miles a year thats 5 years of gas. Granted there is going to be some maintenance and wear and tear in the equation too. But as long as you dont drive something thats falling apart and its paid for, why go new?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm Currently driving a Dodge Ram that gets 10mpg that I owe $19,000 on, Thats why I want something smaller.

Spending $70 every week on gas kinda sucks.

I may also be considering a Mazda3.

mtbr member
    Touche

Ive heard great things about the Fusion, not really bike related but great things never-the-less.

Mazda 3 hatches/wagons whatever you want to call em are sweet too, my roomie has the speed3 version, very fast with decent amount of cargo room and he gets 28-30 highway with a 300 hp beast under him

If you drive in the snow alot have you considered a subaru outback/forester?

mtbr member
    I'd pick the Mazda 3 over the Fusion. First gen Fusions are built poorly in my opinion. Interior is built with very cheap materials and the fit/finish of the car is terrible. The new facelift Fusions are nice though.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i'm in no position to be buying a car anytime soon but i am always looking at them. I've spent way too much time reading reviews and stuff and i'd say the fusion is a superb vehicle. if i had the money that is what i would buy.Motor Trend awarded it car of the year for 2010, and yea the 2010 is significantly better, but the older one is still quite good. From what i've read on the ford forums, the interior problems are only if you get a lemon, but for the most part its not a problem. Most reviews say its quite fun to drive and i'd have to agree from when i drove one a few years ago. Its because the chassis is based on the mazda6, which drives even better than the 3.
    In the end its up to you, its not my money, and i don't own one. This is all just from the absurd amount of time i've wasted researching that sort of stuff(much like i do with mountain bike stuff now...). Really the only person that can convince you is you.
    Jarrod

mtbr member
    The Fusion is a grate looking car. I just wish ford would do a wagon version of it. Its dying to be a Fusion sport wagon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Look at the 4-cylinder version. The V6 is neck-snapping power but has poor fuel economy. I've rented a lot of Fusions and the average MPG hovers around 22 with the V6 and 29 with the 4-banger. The 4-cyl has a lot of power for that size of car.

The 2008 fusion is a very nice car. As I said, I've rented them for months before and it's my top pic for a rental. The biggest annoyance I have is there is no tune knob on the radio, only buttons. It was fixed for 2010, however.
    2007 Ibex Asta Pro
    2010 Specialized Epic Comp 29er....SWEET
    ------
    Retired: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS

Maestro
    Apr 2004

2.3 4 cyl 5 speed

I have a little over 73K miles on my 06 and I still like it. It has a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual. Plenty of power and good fuel economy. (mine gets 31 mpg on the freeway) Combined city/hwy in the summer is 28 mpg. It is one of the best handling sedans of that size I have ever owned.

My mountain bike fits inside the trunk with both wheels removed. If I fold the back seat down, then I only have to take the front wheel off. The back seat is a 60/40 split, so I can put the 40% split up and still carry three people.

If you put a hitch on the car, buy one for a 2010. It will back fit all the way to 2006. I have one on my car from drawtite. It is definately less wiggly than the previous trunk pan model I had from hidden hitch. With the 1-1/4 hitch, I routinely carry 3 bikes on the back of the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Drive a Fusion?-hitch_mounted_fork_carrier.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    My buddy has an older version, it's the mercury milano, they got it soon after it came out. His is the V6 AWD version, and it gets horrible gas milege. I don't know if 2008 is "after" they boosted the milege significantly, but if not, stay far away. It's a turd of a car for that reason. My car is similer size (volume), about 3200lbs, AWD, more horsepower, and it gets around 28-29 mpg. He said the best he's gotten is about 17, but usually worse with city driving.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    mazda 3ftw, that old fusion isn't nearly as good in quality as a mazda 3. if you can drive manual, you NEED to test drive the mazdaspeed 3. 260hp in a civic sized chassis is amazing! even the base mazda 3 is lots of fun to drive, and has more cargo room than the fusion.

the fusion's v6 does NOT have neck snapping power as the user above said, maybe hes just never driven a v6.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I test drove a V6 Fusion... What a turd.

So many options are running through my head. I'm really scared that if I got a car, I would get really, "Truck-sick"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    Yeah, I test drove a V6 Fusion... What a turd.

So many options are running through my head. I'm really scared that if I got a car, I would get really, "Truck-sick"
    ye forget that v6 fusion, their engine's can't match the rev-happy accord v6 engine nor the last forever and historical fuel efficiency of the camry engines.

keep your eye on the Mazda 3, its not one of the most talked about compact cars for a reason. great utility too!
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    I went from a Lifted Tacoma to a Subaru Forester. And I know all about being truck sick. Its taken a whille for me to really like the car but it doubled my gas millage so its been worth it to me. Why don't you look at the Turbo Legacy? Its way more fun to drive then the Fusion is. And its about the same size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    ye forget that v6 fusion, their engine's can't match the rev-happy accord v6 engine nor the last forever and historical fuel efficiency of the camry engines.

keep your eye on the Mazda 3, its not one of the most talked about compact cars for a reason. great utility too!

www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car1tablef.jsp this is an interesting site if you want to see fuel use numbers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just bought a 2010 Fusion SE as my daily driver car. I too went from a truck, am a little "truck sick". Mine is the 6 speed manual with the 4 cylinder. So far so good. I average 27 mpg mixed freeway and around town. Seems to be a good car for the $$$

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I drove an 07 fusion AWD for 2 years, pretty decent. i live in MI so the AWD definitely helped with snow, never slipped a bit.

and i also put down the 60% and take off the front wheel.

although i recently upgraded to a MS3, wow. can still put the bike in the back with folded seats and front wheel off.

i got avg 22mpg on the fusion and now 28 on the MS3.

depends what you want, but the 2010 fusion has great options! especially SYNC, a little jealous of that. but obviously it can't pull like the MS3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For what it's worth, I've had my 2010 Fusion for about 10 months now and love it. I have not noticed anything cheap or poor quality on the interior. Comparable to any other car in it's class. I'd say it's a great mix of fuel economy and power (for the 4 banger). I get ~33 mpg on the highway.

mtbr member
    Any more riders driving a 2010 Fusion SE 4-cylinder?

Will a 29'er fit in the trunk with the rear seats folded down?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My company car is a 2011 4cyl Ford Fusion. I can honestly say that its the best company car I've had in 10 years. I always used to drive my German Sports cars or a gas guzzlung SUV on the week-ends because I hated my company so much. I find myself in the Fusion on the week-ends now quite often. Maybe its because I'm getting older and my vanity is waning.

I ride an XL fs 29er and it fits just fine with the front wheel off and the seats folded down. So I'd say the Fusion is great for bike transport as well! I've got a full size SUV with a fantastic hitch mount Yakima rack that doesn't get used unless I am carpooling out to a ride with buddies and need to carry multiple bikes.

All this said I didn't actually go out and spend my own $ on a Fusion but I'll say that I would consider doing so if I were in the market for a fuel efficient cheap mid-sized sedan.

I am very excited about getting my fresh 2013 Fusion once the corp. lease runs out on my current one at the end of the year. The 2013 Fusion looks like a cross between an Aston Martin and an Audi.

Ford Fusion = Great Value

Members who have read this thread: 0