Anyone build their own car top carrier- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Anyone build their own car top carrier

I have been thinking of getting a car top carrier but dont want to fork out the $100+ for one. i have been thinking of building one myself. Want it to look nice and have a few idea in my head. Just though i would see what your creative minds have thought up. post pictures if you can

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are you talking about an enclosed one? I made one that looks like the tube type you can buy (basket type?). I made it out of copper pipe and painted it black. It looks pretty decent but, I paid almost as much in copper as it would have been to purchase one. I think I used about 90 to 100 feet plus T's and elbows. I also put on two of those front fork holder things to make it a bike rack as well as it will hold gear. I held it on with hose clamps with cut inner tube to protect any finish as well as not have to look at the silver of the hose clamps. If I were to do it over again I would just purchase a normal one. But, it was fun making it.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    The cost of materials will be close to purchasing an entry level rack. Plus, I think a little enginneering and stress testing may be involved. One more thing to consider if you go MR. Handyman route: Should your rack fail, you risk killing innocent people for the sole reason of saving a few dollars.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    The cost of materials will be close to purchasing an entry level rack. Plus, I think a little enginneering and stress testing may be involved. One more thing to consider if you go MR. Handyman route: Should your rack fail, you risk killing innocent people for the sole reason of saving a few dollars.

I know this but i am also an engineering student and have the technology to test this. also with the designs I currently have i will cost me under $20. I should have no problem with this.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spare link
    I know this but i am also an engineering student and have the technology to test this. also with the designs I currently have i will cost me under $20. I should have no problem with this.
    Care to share what you are thinking? I'm curious about what you came up with that has such low material cost. It sounds like a fun project, keep us posted. Oh, and be careful not to poke your eye out .
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

My spoon is too big!
    I needed a third rack for my car once, and made one out of wood. It is similar to the standard fork mount / tray racks. The "tray" is made of some scrap hardwood I had lying around, and I used a fork mount for a pick-up truck bed rack. It is attached with Yakima adapters that fit my crossbars. Total cost was around $25, including what I originally paid for the board.

It is very secure on the car, the bike hardly moves when it is attached. I will try to get some pics of it tomorrow.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i am thinking of getting some V shaped tube aluminum, and take a fork mount and attach it to the front. get some mounts that will attach it to my Thule rack and use it like any other roof mount rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not a car roof rack, but i copied this guy's design.

http://www.sixnall.com/pop-up-camper-bike-rack-2.php

Use it in the bed of my PU and on top of my pop-up camper. Just made it from 6061 aluminum angle. Probably saved 50% cost of purchase.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got my idea form this guy.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...bike-rack.html

but just going to convert it for my car top carrier.

Members who have read this thread: 0