Any Thule VeloVise mod pics? (to clear calipers)- Mtbr.com
    Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012

Any Thule VeloVise mod pics? (to clear calipers)

Just wondering how many people here are using their VeloVise fork mount trays to carry their bikes that have disk brakes. How did you go about "modding" up the tray? I have heard of some people just plain cutting a notch in the tray to clear the calipers and some people taking a hammer and knocking/denting the tray so they can clear the calipers.

I'd like to here from those that have done that and how hard it is to do. Pics would be a nice touch as well.

Also, for those that cut the aluminum, did you put anything over the cuts to smooth it out or cover the exposed metal (so it's not sharp)?

I'm considering notching mine out somehow, but want something that will end up looking clean and without the sharp edges. I don't want to buy a new tray if my old ones are still working (plus I don't know if anyone would want to buy my old trays).

Retired User
    I can post a photo later, but it's pretty basic:

- Hacksaw a V notch as req'd
    - File down burrs
    - Black touch up paint if desired

Done

EDIT: Okay, here's a photo. I never bothered to touch up paint mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Thule VeloVise mod pics? (to clear calipers)-dscn2451.jpg  

Last edited by wbmason55; 03-01-2012 at 03:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was wondering how people modded their velovise to accommodate brake calipers as well.

I've heard about cutting notches, but not the hammer method.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!
    John Anthony

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I didn't really want to notch mine, so I bought a forkup. It raises the fork enough so that the caliper clears, but if you rely on the lock in your velovise you'll need some other means of locking.

Members who have read this thread: 0