any roof racks accommodate through axles?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

any roof racks accommodate through axles?

Given the bikes I carry hover around 35lbs I always feel that the fork up style adapters are a huge liability. They significantly raise the center of gravity and since they are only held by a quick release and friction they tend to slide backwards due to wind resistance. I know I could go with a wheel holder style rack like the Sidearm, but would rather not have a huge bulky rack on top of my car during the 99% of the time I don't have a bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kinda of a weak arguement you made regarding the Fork Up.
    The Fork Up is a product that has been around since 1996 and to be honest is one of the best products we ever made, with the lowest liability.
    Im not saying that one never did fail, I only had two come back, that I know of, from the same person claiming they failed on a bumpy road, my thought was he ran his bikes into the garage, but I still warranted them. But still there might be Fork Up's out there that have failed and never reported or someone who does'nt like them, whatever.
    When I designed them, I used our Ventana off road tandem, which weighs upwards of 50lbs as the guinea pig using our twisty mountain roads as our testing ground, so the bikes weight is a no issue and with 7 gauge steel side plates, they could possibly be strong enough to hold a motorcycle (Hurricane Components or myself would not recommend or advise that though.)
    The Fork Up was designed to be rotated upwards of 300 degrees, which will actually lower your center of gravity, and by removing and mounting your fork in the fork mount, your eliminating a pivot point, something that the upright type racks dont do.
    As far as sliding back from wind resistance...what? how can they roll back? if you clamp your qr tightly, as you would when your wheel is in your fork, it should'nt be a problem, if you have straps holding your back wheel, it could'nt be a problem.
    Just to let you know, the Fork Up was'nt designed on a whim, we used real world testing with several testers using about every bike type and every fork made.
    Every fork company endorses the Fork Up, Thule and Yakima both private label them, tons of pro riders,teams and 10's of thousands of riders use them.

ballbuster

Well.. okay...

Quote Originally Posted by baltik View Post
    Given the bikes I carry hover around 35lbs I always feel that the fork up style adapters are a huge liability. They significantly raise the center of gravity and since they are only held by a quick release and friction they tend to slide backwards due to wind resistance. I know I could go with a wheel holder style rack like the Sidearm, but would rather not have a huge bulky rack on top of my car during the 99% of the time I don't have a bike...
    How about any other roof tray that lets you keep the bike up there with the wheels on... if you really are that paranoid about it.

Thule Lockjaw comes to mind. It's not any bulkier than other regular roof trays.

Keep in mind, virtually all of these roof racks are TUV approved to like 100 MPH. I wouldn't worry about anything flying off. And, most bikes, especially bikes owned by casual riders are well over 35 pounds. Ever pick up a Mall Wart bike?

If you're really concerned about center of gravity, get a hitch rack or put your bike inside the car.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Jeff - certainly was not my intention to disparage your product - I am sure it's quite sturdy and well executed, I've used a version of it for years without fail. That said, the very idea of adding another pivot point and raising the center of gravity is suboptimal. I think your solution is the perfect adapter, I am looking for a more integrated and engineered solution. My car pushes 400hp/400 torque to the wheels and while i do take care to not drive it in anger with heavy bikes on - i do put considerable stress on the racks once I get into the twisties. The clamping force of my Rocky mounts racks is insufficient to keep the adapter upright, the adapter inevitably slides backwards parallel to the rack...