Any recs. for a frame adapter bar?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Any recs. for a frame adapter bar?

Was thinking of getting a Yakima or Thule? .......or is this a bad idea all together, and I just need to break down and buy a hitch?

mtbr member
    bump from a year ago or so, since I have the same question.. ...

I am going to mount two Specialized Hard tails... so the top frame isn't as slanted as on a f/s... Do you need the top tube frame adapter? Amazon has one from Yakima, Sparehand, and Swagman.
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    If you can go the hitch route, that would be ideal (well for me personally). I have the Yakima TubeTop (which I don't use anymore because I now have a platform rack) and honestly they're all pretty much the same. You can't go wrong with a Yakima, Thule or the other brand Performance sells. They all work the same.

code: mtbr2011
    Get the Thule 982xt...it's the easiest to open and close, and in my opinion, side by side with the Yakima Tubetop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I ended up getting my adapter bar from Rage Powersports, and it works great for me. It has a thick rubber connection for the front and seat tube...... ($20) shipped if your still looking?

mtbr member
    I used a Hollywood adapter bar on a previous bike and had some problems with its design. If the Rage is similar, the handlebar hops in the collar and could twist and possibly slip out. I remedied the situation by drilling a hole through the tubes and installing a bolt to eliminate the twisting.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by joeinchi View Post
    I used a Hollywood adapter bar on a previous bike and had some problems with its design. If the Rage is similar, the handlebar hops in the collar and could twist and possibly slip out. I remedied the situation by drilling a hole through the tubes and installing a bolt to eliminate the twisting.

Or just put a bungee cord around your front wheel to your frame.

These adapters... aren't they all basically the same thing? I mean, it ain't a space shuttle here.

Just be sure your front wheel doesn't hang down so low it catches on the ground on driveways and ramps. I had one of these for my old Stumpjumper FSR, and I tweaked a front wheel once when my bud's car hit a good sized bump at speed. I started taking my front wheel off and putting it inside.

Heck, I think I still have two of these bars in my garage somewhere. I oughta craigslist them.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

These adapters... aren't they all basically the same thing? I mean, it ain't a space shuttle here.

Just be sure your front wheel doesn't hang down so low it catches on the ground on driveways and ramps. I had one of these for my old Stumpjumper FSR, and I tweaked a front wheel once when my bud's car hit a good sized bump at speed. I started taking my front wheel off and putting it inside.

Heck, I think I still have two of these bars in my garage somewhere. I oughta craigslist them.
    Interestingly enough, I need two of those...
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Good suggestion. I've definitely done that, too, to prevent the handlebar from twisting. But, IME, that doesn't prevent the adapter bar from twisting and possibly opening up.

I think you're right that most of these adapters share the same design ... not so great. And the handlebars simply rest on top of the front collar. Ugh!

FMX_DBC- I also added some velcro straps to prevent the handlebars from hopping the second your car hits a bump. It worked great once I made these changes but, IMHO, it's not a great solution out of the box.

mtbr member
    I have my Yakima TubeTop sitting around collecting dust as well since I got platform hitch rack.

Dirt Bike Craig
    how much would you sell it for?
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogsim View Post
    I have my Yakima TubeTop sitting around collecting dust as well since I got platform hitch rack.
    sell it to meeeeeee.

meow.

Members who have read this thread: 0