Any hitch racks fit on Jeep without modification?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any hitch racks fit on Jeep without modification?

Do they all need an extender to clear the spare tire? I don't care if you can open the tailgate with the bikes in place, I just would like to avoid the extra piece. I feel like it adds complexity and maybe reduces "sturdiness." FWIW I'm looking at Kuat Sherpa, Raxster Tarsus and Thule T2.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    I have a Kuat Nv with the ad on for 2 more bikes and also a Yakima Hold Up for my 2012 Wrangler Arctic and they both require that i use a extender for the gate to open. It really is not a big deal, i use a anti rattle pin for the extension. I hope this helps
    Will Miss You Tessa
    RIP Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a Wrangler and use the North Shore Racks NSR-4. It allows me to use without an extension and the overhang (how far the rack hangs beyond the bumper) is minimal. Great rack for mountain bikes only (it requires a large fork crown). However, you cannot use the gate while on the Jeep (no biggie for me, but may be for others).
    Prior to that I used a KŁat NV +2 Add-on. It was a great rack but I had to use an extension to clear the spare. The overhang looked like I was pulling a wheel-less trailer...stretched on forever. It was unsettling to see it sway going down the road.

Members who have read this thread: 0