Another victim of "Garage vs. Roof Rack"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Another victim of "Garage vs. Roof Rack"

GARAGE 1. MY CAR 0

Well, I became another victim of "idiot who drives in a his garage with his bike on the roof."

It gets better, I did that BEFORE I even went riding.

1. Pulled the car out of garage.
    2. Put bike on top
    3. Try to drive out and realize there was a car behind me.
    4. Decided to go in a little and turn again
    5. BAM!

I heard bunch of cracking noises... I didn't see any damages to the bike. I road my bike afterward and it didn't make noises or anything.

My car? dented on the sides. One of the bikerack is bent out of shape too!

I just forgot to freaking open my sunroof as I always do... and forgot to hang my tag on the freaking mirror.

WHAT A FREAKING DAY!!!! I've been crying about a new car for a while.... maybe I need to go out and buy a wagon.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    so sorry to hear that...

and I am afraid it will happen again if you keep the "victim" mentality and don't admit that only YOU can prevent forrest, er, bike crunches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That sucks.

For me, I've been good so far.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty lucky...I can drive into my garage with the bike on top of the car.

I can't believe you didn't damage the bike. Even though you messed up your car, at least the bike is okay.
    NKAWTG

ballbuster

Lucky you

Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    I'm pretty lucky...I can drive into my garage with the bike on top of the car.

I can't believe you didn't damage the bike. Even though you messed up your car, at least the bike is okay.
    I can't even get my car in the garage without a bike on the rack.

I made it a habit of putting the garage door opener in the trunk after I put the bike on top... To many close calls...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been there and now I only use my T2 hitch rack. I do have a roof rack but keep it to transport someone else's bike if needed. That way, I know I will never drive home and into the garage with a bike on top.

It's a sinking feeling hearing that crunch. I remember my crunch clearly. Everything was so jammed up that I had to take the rack off before being able to wiggle the bike loose. That garage door rails were never the same (almost like stutter-bumps on it) and the house practically shook when the door was used

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    We have had it happen and now the opener goes in the glove box if a bike is on top of the car

I party.
    Sep 2007
    if its any consolation, I had my first crunch while entering a parking garage. Yea, those concrete support beams? they always win in a game of chicken. Regardless, I damaged the factory spoiler on my 4runner, destroyed the roof rack, got several large dents in the roof, but the bike was fine. Had some fresh paint on it, but nothing else!
    bikes:
    White Transition Blindside
    Yellow Transition ToP

mtbr member
    I got by for a long time with the hide-the-remote option but when I changed up what I was doing one day, I drove it in (garage was already open) I have been carrying inside the car since.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Members who have read this thread: 0