Another Factory Rack Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Another Factory Rack Question

Hey guys,

I recently bought an '08 Subaru Impreza 4 door sedan and was considering buying the factory crossbars that come with the Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, and then buying a pair of Yakima Forklifts to accommodate a pair of aluminum hardtail mountain bikes. Additionally, I own a pair of 12 1/2 foot kayaks and, when finances allow, would like to buy the mounts for that as well, which is why I'd like to avoid a trunk mount/hitch solution.

Like most everyone else here, I'm trying to go for the best combination of strength, cost, and aesthetics. I've found the factory crossbars online for 150$, which certainly fit the bill for cost + aesthetics, but I'm not sure if they're comparable to Thule or Yakima's base rack offerings. Does anyone have experience with the '08 and newer impreza factory rack and if so, in your opinion, are they pretty durable and able to hold up to abuse? I'd also welcome any other recommendations for bike and kayak mounts...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Also, what sort of security situation will I be looking at? I know I can get Yakima SKS locks to lock the bike to the yakima forklift, but am I able to lock the bike/kayak mounts to the factory rack as well, and is the factory rack somehow locked to the car?

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishxc
    Also, what sort of security situation will I be looking at? I know I can get Yakima SKS locks to lock the bike to the yakima forklift, but am I able to lock the bike/kayak mounts to the factory rack as well, and is the factory rack somehow locked to the car?
    You can get some of these to lock the rack to the factory crossbars via Yakima Mighty Mounts:
    http://www.rei.com/product/494195
    I have attached a Yakima High Roller to the factory crossbars of my '98 Outback Sport using the 14h Mighty Mounts. I have found this setup to be very solid/stable. Right now, I use the High Roller's integrated cable lock to secure the rack to the car when my bike is not on the car. I will be adding some of the accessory lock housings as soon as my local shop gets them in stock.
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

code: mtbr2011
    if you want to carry the boats eventually, then check out the yakima boatlocker..it will lock your boats to the roof.
    if you're looking for cradles, check out the yakima evenkeel saddles...this would be a good setup for your factory xbars if you want to haul boats.

the forklift is a good way to haul your bike. the yakima frontloader is a good way to haul a bike if you're not interested in fork mounting.

Members who have read this thread: 0