Annoyed with roof rack - go to hitch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Annoyed with roof rack - go to hitch?

I have a 2007 Hyundai Accent Hatchback with a Yakima roof rack.

The current racks are the King Cobras which seem to always break at really inconvenient times or if they are new the stupid red knob loosens constantly.

After four years I'm ready for something new.

Also my mileage goes to sht with the bike on top.

Sooo

1) Get a hitch put on for a Kuat or other hitch rack? Worried this will be too low to ground?

2)Replace roof racks, but with what? Need something solid that will work with Yakima bars.

Any input?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    FWIW: I run a Kuat Sherpa on both a 96 Accord and a 91 Integra.... no issues with ground clearance.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    1Up USA has a rack that works with car hitches. I picked up one recently and love it. Check it out on the Interwebs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    1up for the hitch or Affordable bike rack would be Rocky Mountain Pitchfork $89 bucks
    Rocky Mounts Pitchfork - AEBike.com
    No more loose red knob or broken wheel trays Cobra racks should have been recalled by yakima they break the wheel trays were the front wheel mount pieces bolt to had it happen on both of mine and like u red knob loosen easy on its own.

mtbr member

if you need to live with bikes...

Get Hitched, I have a hitch on my 08 Toyota Prius 4x2 Hybrid SUV, I use the Thule T2 and have put the extension for four bikes (this really looks funny). I have a 2" receiver and it will scrape sometimes when rack is on. I don't care about this, Who would care?
    Very quick and easy, no impact on MPG when bike-less.

Trust me, I thought this out.
    (The Kuat rack looks great...next time I may get one)
    Off the Beaten Path

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    1UP rack looks awesome...any reccomendations on what hitch to get or are they all pretty much the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    1UP rack looks awesome...any reccomendations on what hitch to get or are they all pretty much the same?
    hiddenhitch.com
    reese-hitches.com

You should be able to find a PDF of installation instructions for your make, model, year on either website where you can determine if it's an easy install or PITA. Every car is different. My Civic took me about an hour to install the hitch. Required me to drop the exhaust and remove a heat shield, which goes back on. Very easy. But, I've heard other people say they needed to rip half of the back end of their car apart. If you fall into the second category, your best bet is probably UHaul.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was in the same boat. Definitly go to hitch. I gained back 4mpg, those roof racks cause a lot of resistance. I got a hitch from etrailer.com then went to rack attack and got this hitch rack.
    SportRack 2EZ Premium Hitch Platform System - SportRack Hitch Mount Bike Racks

It looks as though they just raised the price. I bought it literally last week for $165. It comes with a lock for the hitch and for the two bikes. Its a breeze to load the bikes especially after 4 hrs of riding. I actually sold the yakima rack setup for 400+ on ebay bought the new setup for about 320. Had some spare cash and bought a floor pump and new schwalbe tires

Also I was looking at the thule/yakima racks, they both come in at about 50lbs. The rack i listed is under 30lbs, makes it easy to remove.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hmmm, the Sport Rack is much cheaper than the 1UP or Raxter Tarsus I was looking at.

Wonder if the more expensive ones are worth it? An expensive rack is fine with me if it will last.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you not read any of the threads about the more expensive racks?

Depending on how much you're going to use the rack, the more expensive ones may be worth their weight in gold. If you are only using it once a week to go a few miles, the cheaper ones are no big deal. The further you travel or the more frequently you use it, the more opportunities the cheaper racks will have to disappoint.

My suggestion is to buy a 1up (or Kuat or whatever) and cry once.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Have you not read any of the threads about the more expensive racks?

Depending on how much you're going to use the rack, the more expensive ones may be worth their weight in gold. If you are only using it once a week to go a few miles, the cheaper ones are no big deal. The further you travel or the more frequently you use it, the more opportunities the cheaper racks will have to disappoint.

My suggestion is to buy a 1up (or Kuat or whatever) and cry once.
    Great advice.
    I am amazed to see how many $2,000+ bikes on racks that are made to be thrown away. KŁat and 1Up are expensive for a reason... incredible engineering, design and quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have to be honest and say that I've never fully subscribed to the idea that an expensive bike requires an expensive rack. An expensive bike requires riding.

To make that happen, it helps to have things like a rack not work against you. I figure that my time (and money) is saved when I don't have to fuss and fidget to get the bike onto and off the rack when I'm trying to squeeze in a ride between obligations. Using equipment that isn't as well engineered often requires the end-user to "accommodate" the short cuts that the manufacturer made to reach a price point. Sometimes, that isn't too much of a hassle. IMHO, I think that using a entry-level rack is maddening and inefficient. Actually, I think the worst are the "mainstream" brands like Thule, Yakima, Saris, etc because they are expensive and they suck. At least brands like Xport and Performance really are inexpensive and workable; they certainly aren't much crappier (dollar for dollar) than Thule, et al.

Anyhow, back to the OP's question: hitch is superior to roof racks in every way. Cheap hitch racks aren't terrible, but you'll end up buying a nicer one. Save the money and aggravation and buy only one rack.

Sweep the leg!
    Get a UHaul receiver hitch and a Saris Thelma.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I should add that I bought my Sherpa knowing it was going on the back of a car (not a truck or SUV), so I wanted something fairly light weight while still being a pleasure to use without hanging the bike by the frame (carbon bike makes me nervous). The Sherpa fit the bill. It did cost just under $300 (discount at my LBS), but since this is the only rack I will need to buy for any foreseeable future, I consider it money well spent.

EDIT: I should also add that U-Haul does a fine job of raping you when they sell you a hitch. They wanted almost $400 for the hitch alone for my Integra (I cross shop just about everything). In the end, I spent ~$120 (with draw bar and ball to pull my little trailer) to have one shipped to me off the internet. Same deal with my Accord. I actually bought that one off of Amazon for a song and got free shipping since I am a "prime" member. If you are mechanically inclined, installing a hitch is a snap. You can view the instructions for the hitches at the mfg's website to get an idea before you order.

Amazon: Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 11092 Class I Receiver: Automotive

$136 and it should ship free (I can get it prime and that usually means free super saver shipping).

Instructions: http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterl..._11092_INS.pdf
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just sold my T2 plus extension last weekend....hitch racks get crazy annoying too. better on gas, easier to load/unload but they are huge, look retarded when you aren't using them and make it super annoying to get into your trunk.

I've had a really nice roof rack setup too and got sick of that for mpg reasons....now that i've lifted my truck, put on bigger tires and about 450lbs in armor, i don't care about the mpgs. i'm getting a roof rack again.

my point: they are both going to get annoying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike View Post
    just sold my T2 plus extension last weekend....hitch racks get crazy annoying too. better on gas, easier to load/unload but they are huge, look retarded when you aren't using them and make it super annoying to get into your trunk.

I've had a really nice roof rack setup too and got sick of that for mpg reasons....now that i've lifted my truck, put on bigger tires and about 450lbs in armor, i don't care about the mpgs. i'm getting a roof rack again.

None of these cons are true with a nicer rack. Mine (1up) comes off way easier than any Thule/Yakima or folds much smaller if I leave it on. This brings me back to my point about how the "mainstream" brands are a worse value than the less expensive racks on the market because of their high cost and poor overall performance.

LightJunction.com
    I'm a hitch rack fan as well. Just be careful when it comes to steep driveways...other than that you should be fine.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

I <3 dirt
    I've been contemplating making the switch as well but I'm afraid I'll have clearance issues with my car being lowered. Not being able to get into the rear hatch easily isn't really much of an issue with most nice racks that easily/quickly swing down.

Elitest thrill junkie

My T2 looks fine in my garage when I'm not using it. You're going to put a roof rack on a lifted truck? haha!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

jrm
    mtbr member

A 1-1/4 htich

with a performance export rack is a considerable alternative.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

E-trailer.com and a 1-Up rack..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    E-trailer.com and a 1-Up rack..
    After some more looking around I am pretty sure this is what I am going to do. Looks solid.

I <3 dirt
    Any way to lock up a bike while on the 1-up rack or do you just have to use a cable lock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There is no faux-lock that doesn't really do anything. People have succesfully used a u-lock and other means to secure the bike. I've traveled a lot with my bike locked up on my rack without any trouble YMMV.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Any way to lock up a bike while on the 1-up rack or do you just have to use a cable lock?
    If i was a bike thief and wanted bikes on a roof rack, id grab the top of the bikes and pull sideways. This would probably break the rack/interface with enough force, and being a thief, i wouldn't care what it does to the car. Nothing is 100% secure,heavy cables or chainsthe around the towbar and bikes help. Never leave them unattended for any significant time. An additional benefit of hitch racks is you can back up against a wall until your bikes just barely touch, this also makes it more difficult for any would -be thief.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If i was a bike thief and wanted bikes on a roof rack, id grab the top of the bikes and pull sideways. This would probably break the rack/interface with enough force, and being a thief, i wouldn't care what it does to the car. Nothing is 100% secure,heavy cables or chainsthe around the towbar and bikes help. Never leave them unattended for any significant time. An additional benefit of hitch racks is you can back up against a wall until your bikes just barely touch, this also makes it more difficult for any would -be thief.
    Well no **** anything can be stolen its just a matter of how much time someone wants to take lol

My sidearm trays most likely wouldn't give up by pulling sideways but pop the front tire and the bike is yours unless my cable lock is through my roof rails.

So what's stopping someone from walking up behind your car while at a light and just walking off with your bike on the 1-up hitch rack?

mtbr member
    Nah you need a cable lock. The built-in locks on those other systems are so crappy that you are way better off with the cable lock of your choice. But, like Jayem said if a thief wants your bike he'll figure out a way to get it. I'm fortunate enough to live an area that is very safe so a basic cable lock does the trick. If I lived closer to the city I'd change my ways to keep the bike safer.

I <3 dirt
    Well I guess I'll look else where then or just stick with my roof rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So what's stopping someone from walking up behind your car while at a light and just walking off with your bike on the 1-up hitch rack?

HAHAHAHA...Are you serious? What's stopping you from backing them over? Who worries about things like this? Hopefully you were kidding

Thieves work on targets of opportunity. This implies that the object is relatively easy to steal. I would think that there would be quite a few bikes easier to grab than one off the back of an occupied car in the middle of the roadway. Of course, in the parking lot, unattended, an unlocked bike on a 1up is easy prey for sure.

ETA: I don't bother locking my bike while on the rack when I am in the car. Otherwise, I lock it up with a case-hardened chain. The chain is slightly slower to cut than cable.
    Last edited by racerwad; 02-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.

I <3 dirt
    Im just sayin'

SOME anti theft would be nice. I don't even think my bike shop can get the 1-UP racks anyways so I'll probably just get the Thule 916xtr

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    1up only sells direct.

Good luck with the Thule. You'll probably regret it.

I <3 dirt
    1up only sells direct.

Good luck with the Thule. You'll probably regret it.
    It's the same as my sidearm trays which works great and it'll end up cheaper then the 1-up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Trigger pulled on a Draw Tite hitch and 1UP Quick Rack.

Yes...I could have spent less. Should be able to recoup some cost by selling a full Yakima roof rack setup!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You won't be sorry. Buying a good rack is something you;ll only do once.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just on the cost of gas I came out ahead in a couple of months. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    My T2 looks fine in my garage when I'm not using it. You're going to put a roof rack on a lifted truck? haha!
    I guess I should clarify.....I live in an apt....limited space, which is also why I don't care about how easily the 1-up comes off and folds up, its not going inside my apartment.

If I had a garage it may be a different story....

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Trigger pulled on a Draw Tite hitch and 1UP Quick Rack.

Yes...I could have spent less. Should be able to recoup some cost by selling a full Yakima roof rack setup!
    Congrats!
    I should get a commission from 1Up by now, as I have 'sold' quite a few of them at the park I ride and here on the forum.

Just last Sunday while doing trail work, quite a few peeps came by to check out the rack and loved the looks and even put their own bikes on my rack to see how it works. Loading takes < 5 seconds and the fact it is made in the USA is a huge draw too.
    As far as security goes, I never leave my bike on if I am out of sight, but I do have a huge motorcycle cable lock just in case I have no choice.

mtbr member
    GO HITCH! I got the tray-style from Thule and love it.
    You can also get the same style for "roof-mounts" too. I hate to have to take a wheel off to go for a ride!!
    Last edited by Badassbassangler; 02-07-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

mtbr member
    Oh yeah...built in cable locks too!
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

jct
    mtbr member
    i've been a roof rack type of guy for years but have recently put a 2" hitch on my outback. my kuat rack arrived yesterday. the sprocket rockets will be for sale or trade for a new cargo box.

one thing thing i won't miss is having big dirty 29" tires riding in the car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My $.02 on a few racks:

I used a Thule 594 XT roof rack for years. When we needed a hitch rack for my wife's Ford Flex I bought a Thule 916 XTR T2 which I found "mis-marked" at REI for around $225. I love it and never had a single issue with it other than it is heavy/bulky if you are going to put it on and take it off the car. For the price I paid it was a steal. Another reason I wanted the Thule was that I'll have to buy the 4 bike adapter when a couple of my kids get a little older and begin riding bikes. Since I have 3 kids, it won't be long until 5 bicycle outings are more common. Therefore, we also have two (2) Yakima Aero Raptor racks on top of the car. I never use them unless we are loading up more than three bikes. The hitch is just so much easier to get the bikes on and off.

I also needed a rack for my econobox commuter (Chevy Aveo). The car is basically a tin can on wheels so I didn't want a heavy rack on the back of it as it would greatly affect the handling of the car. I really wanted the Kuat NV, but the cheapest I could find it for was approx. $375. I bought the Sportrack EZ for $165 delivered and have been very, very happy with it. While I'd rather hold the bike from the wheels (like the Thule) than the top tube, the price/weight/included feature factor of this rack is very difficult to beat.

No matter what you do, I always strongly suggest going with something that has at least some type of locking mechanism built in. Almost nothing will keep a determined thief away from your bike(s), but typical "impulse thievery" is often stopped by very simple means. Also, if you have a built in lock then you are more likely to use it than if you have to run the cable every time. Lots of people just won't take the time to run a cable lock through on a consistent basis, especially if they have to do it on a roof rack as that can be a PITA. However, turning a key on a built in lock setup is a snap. I even lock it up when I'm simply heading home from the trails.

Anyway, to get back to the crux of this thread....having had both I would go hitch rack every time.

The only time I would use my roof rack alone is if I am pulling my fishing boat and a couple of bikes somewhere at the same time. The roof mount option provides great flexibility for that type of thing.

And no....I don't pull the boat with the Aveo.

mtbr member
    If it were me I would stick with the roof rack and get another carrier since you already have already invested in the bars. I've had a pair of Thule Velo Vice Pro carriers (not sure they make them any longer) for just over five years now and they work perfectly. Only complaint was after about four years the locks were getting sticky from being out in the weather.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    If it were me I would stick with the roof rack and get another carrier since you already have already invested in the bars. I've had a pair of Thule Velo Vice Pro carriers (not sure they make them any longer) for just over five years now and they work perfectly. Only complaint was after about four years the locks were getting sticky from being out in the weather.
    If you do the math, the "cost" of getting a hitch and new rack will pay off quickly. The roof rack costs extra money each and every time you drive and it only gets worse with a bike on the roof, when compared with an identical car equipped w/ a hitch rack. That investment is a loss, every time.

ballbuster
    I guess I should clarify.....I live in an apt....limited space, which is also why I don't care about how easily the 1-up comes off and folds up, its not going inside my apartment.

If I had a garage it may be a different story....
    Do you have a trunk or a hatchback?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Go wit the hitch, roof racks are a pain in the ass, nuff said!

mtbr member
    If you do the math, the "cost" of getting a hitch and new rack will pay off quickly. The roof rack costs extra money each and every time you drive and it only gets worse with a bike on the roof, when compared with an identical car equipped w/ a hitch rack. That investment is a loss, every time.
    It balances out. The 1mpg I lose on the highway running the bars w/an empty carrier is made up for not having to rent a truck everytime I need to carry oversized things that don't fit inside my cars (2007 Rabbit and 1989 Jetta). Roof racks are good for more than just hauling bikes. The only thing you can carry with a hitch mount bike rack are bikes. Sure you could say "buy a small trailer" for such things...but the initial and long term costs to buy, register, maintain, haul, and store that trailer would be far greater than a roof rack.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I got the trailer hitch from etrailer.com and installed it by myself in about twenty minutes.

The 1UP rack came a couple days later and simply does its job with no headaches...that makes it worth the money to me. Glad I made the purchase.

Here it is on an 07 Accent. Driveway clearance has been a non issue so far.

I posted a short review here: 1UP rack review

mtbr member
    Much like buying from your LBS, you should really at least check to see if you have a local truck accessory shop that does hitches (besides Uhaul). At least get an estimate and give them a shot before buying online. They may not even be close, but you may be surprised and find a new place to buy things.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I got the trailer hitch from etrailer.com and installed it by myself in about twenty minutes.

The 1UP rack came a couple days later and simply does its job with no headaches...that makes it worth the money to me. Glad I made the purchase.

Here it is on an 07 Accent. Driveway clearance has been a non issue so far.

I posted a short review here: 1UP rack review
    Nice set-up right??

Members who have read this thread: 0