All or none!- Mtbr.com

Thread: All or none!

Spin-stabilized

All or none!

Can I use this on the 1.25" version of the Thule T2 hitch rack? Anyone tried it? I really want a rack that tilts down without unloading the bikes so I can access the rear hatch of my vehicle. It seems like Thule is the only manufacturer that addresses this need with the T2.

I also want a rack that I can use on 2 different cars. One has a 2" class 2 receiver and the other only has a 1.25" class I receiver.

If I can't use an adapter to make the T2 work on both cars there is no point in getting it for me. I don't think the tilt-down feature is worth the decreased adaptability. I might as well get a cheaper one without this feature like the XPort Flatbed or Swagman XC2.

I thought the Yakima Stickup can be tilted down. Correcct me if I'm wrong but I think the fold down feature that Yakimais bragging about for rear door access is actually it's ability to have the mast folded sideways. That requires removing the bike. Not exactly the most convenient thing.

Any suggestions/advice? Is there one platform rack that can do both (tilts down and fits both receiver sizes out-of-the-box or with safe aftermarket adapter options)?
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

방랑외국인
    bailout, I just went through this same exact scenario. To answer your question simply, no. There is not a product that has what you are looking for, and I think it's a shame, as I know Yakima or Thule could make one.

I was set on the T2 due to the tilt down feature as it is the only tray-hitch loading style rack that tilt's down. Then I realized that you would not be able to swap it or the Holdup between hitch sizes, which was a deal breaker for me. I thought about the hitch adaptor, but remember it cuts the tounge weight tolerance in half, which on a 1.25 hitch could then be reduced to a 100lbs which is not much! Plus it would have extended the rack even farther out and would have looked goofy, sagged and been more suceptable to a rear end collision.

I really thought about it and just went with the Yakima Stickup, as it swaps between hitch sizes easily, is a new design and I have had luck with Yakima quality. Another bonus is that it is only $215 at REI right now which is a good deal, and you can use that extra cash saved on bike parts! Thule has a new rack with the same style, but the frame hold down arms are on the same "tree", so you have to match the bike size accordingly (which on the Stickup you dont have to do!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Bailout,

Most class II hitches are rated for 300lbs tongue weight, so if you bought the 1.25 rack and used the adapter you should still be good for a weight of 150lbs on the 2" receiver. So figure about 50lbs for the rack and 30 to 40 lbs for each bike (assuming 2 bike rack) and you are sill under the weight limit.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff r
    Bailout,

Most class II hitches are rated for 300lbs tongue weight, so if you bought the 1.25 rack and used the adapter you should still be good for a weight of 150lbs on the 2" receiver. So figure about 50lbs for the rack and 30 to 40 lbs for each bike (assuming 2 bike rack) and you are sill under the weight limit.
    I'd probably need something to get rid of the wobble from the gaps between the adapter-receiver and rack stinger-adapter. Don't know of a good option.

mtbr member

give this a try...

http://www.thuleracks.com/product_sp..._id=49&sku=912

part B...the hitch adapter sleeve which is used on the mast type racks MAY work on the T2 and it's only $20

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'd steer clear of the adapter bars that aren't specifically designed for your bike rack. There is way too much tolerance slop in those for the rack to be stable. Your best bet is to find a rack that has a lower unit that can be swapped out between 1.25" and 2". I'm not familiar with the options from Thule, but I know there are several other brands that offer that capability. If you want the Thule, you should check with their support team to see if they have something like that.

Based on what you've mentioned, I'd also take a look at either the Softride Dura (up to 4 bikes) or the Softride Versa (up to 2 bikes). Both have replaceable lower units. It involves removing two bolts to do the swap. Both also fold down with the bikes attached for cargo access.

방랑외국인
    Quote Originally Posted by HitchSource.com
    I'd steer clear of the adapter bars that aren't specifically designed for your bike rack. There is way too much tolerance slop in those for the rack to be stable. Your best bet is to find a rack that has a lower unit that can be swapped out between 1.25" and 2". I'm not familiar with the options from Thule, but I know there are several other brands that offer that capability. If you want the Thule, you should check with their support team to see if they have something like that.

Based on what you've mentioned, I'd also take a look at either the Softride Dura (up to 4 bikes) or the Softride Versa (up to 2 bikes). Both have replaceable lower units. It involves removing two bolts to do the swap. Both also fold down with the bikes attached for cargo access.
    Yep, that is why Thule/Yakima stated (rather emphatically as well). It also is labeled across all of their instructions not to use any hitch extenders/adapters, else it will void their warranty. That doesn't mean it would not work and someone wouldn't be ok, but I'll avoid that risk if I can. Like I stated above, the Thule Doubletrack and Yakima Stickup are the only two that can swap between the hitch sizes easily. The stickup is a one-allen key bolt swap.

You can buy the other size "backbone" of the Holdup and T2 I believe, but they are easily over $100 and you have to basically unbolt and swap all the parts over from one to the other....not worth doing if your going to switch back and forth at all.

I looked at the Softride and I was not aware of the swap, as they list the 2 x different sized racks just like the T2 and Holdup do. How much is the extra part? The rack seemed good at first, then after some research and reviews and studying the design, I read lots of QC issues, swaying and overall dissapointment in the securment.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, Softride sells the lower bar, but they don't offer a rack that comes with both sizes. If my memory serves, I believe the lower bar is ~$30-40. I spoke to Softride this morning and they're backlogged by about 60 days on those right now, though... So if you want both sizes, you'll have to find another option in the short term.

As far as Softride quality issues, they did have some trouble when they first came out with the new Versa. They have since upgraded the hardware on the Versa and things have improved since then. We sell far more Softrides than any other rack, and of 1000+ racks we've sold we've only had a few returns and that is better than I can say about the other brands we carry. I use the Dura myself and am very happy with it.

We get occasional reports of broken anti-sway brackets on the Dura, but everything else about it is very solid. Softride has been very good at sending free replacement brackets whenever our customers have had problems with that, though. Personally, I think anti-sway systems are kind of gimicky. I've had several racks with various versions of anti-sway mechanisms and have never found them to be worth the trouble or to really help that much. I removed mine and only put them on if I'm going on a long trip.

We have some customer reviews on our site, too:

Softride Dura Bike Rack Customer Reviews"

mtbr member
    May 2004

Might try this...

The Thule Doubletrack has an adaptor sleeve that allows you to switch between a 1.25 and 2 inch hitch. You might contact Thule to see if that sleeve will work on the T2. I am not an engineer nor do I play one on this board, but I don't see why you couldn't use it with the T2. But I am guessing if they could be used with the T2, it would be shipped with the T2. But it might be worth a shot to contact Thule to see what your options are.

Good luck.
    Dirt

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I believe that Hollywood racks has a model that tilts down. Check out the 3SE model. I think adapter sleeves are readily available at auto parts stores.
    http://www.hollywoodracks.com/hitch-...hitch-rack.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_donkey
    The Thule Doubletrack has an adaptor sleeve that allows you to switch between a 1.25 and 2 inch hitch. You might contact Thule to see if that sleeve will work on the T2. I am not an engineer nor do I play one on this board, but I don't see why you couldn't use it with the T2. But I am guessing if they could be used with the T2, it would be shipped with the T2. But it might be worth a shot to contact Thule to see what your options are.

Good luck.
    Dirt
    That piece is the same as the one I linked to earlier, just a different length, They both fit on the T2, I just tried it, the one for $20 just needs cutting to length.

Spin-stabilized
    Keeping it simple. Got a 2" T2 for 20% off and don't plan on using it on the corolla anymore. I've seen it in action on many interstate road trips and I'm sold on the simplicity and durability of it. I was afraid of a rear rack on the sedan scraping speed bumps. It bottoms out and the undercarriage scrapes the pavement as it is when I have another passenger in there while going over a bump or dip. The little car also needs a strut replacement that I might not do. I might just get a new car instead so I didn't think it was worth the bother. If I ever get another small car, I know that lighter weight 1.25" hitch racks are cheap enough that I could just get another dedicated rack for it.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

방랑외국인
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    That piece is the same as the one I linked to earlier, just a different length, They both fit on the T2, I just tried it, the one for $20 just needs cutting to length.
    do you have pictures of this adapter actually bolted on the T2 and the modifications needed?

well darn it all. I would have got the T2 if I knew about this adapter...I spoke with Thule at minimum 3 or 4 times asking what was all needed and if the T2 could swap between hitch sizes, and all I got was a resounding NO every discussion.

This really chaps my a$$...all I received was some vanilla robotic answers from the Thule people on the phone, unlike the Yakima who were really helpful. Well this helped confirm why I will never again purchase Thule products!

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5
    This really chaps my a$$...all I received was some vanilla robotic answers from the Thule people on the phone, unlike the Yakima who were really helpful. Well this helped confirm why I will never again purchase Thule products!
    I think it is a bit tragic that Thule bought Sportworks. Clearly to me Yakima has better products across the board EXCEPT for the old Sportworks designs that Thule bought and is subsequently either letting languish or outright messing up.

With that said, I still think the T2 is the best rack being made today for a wide-range of bikes. Kid's bikes to 50lb DH monsters all fit easily and securely on the T2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Yakima StickUp Folds Down..Kinda.

I recently purchased the Yakima StickUp. I agree that Yakima is referring to the ability to fold down the mast when they boast about rear access. However, I accidentally discovered that while you can fold the entire rack up for driving without bikes, you can also tilt it down. The problem is (at least with a full hatch door like on my Forester) that even if you tilt the rack to the ground, there still isn't enough clearance to open the hatch. You'd have to park on the edge of a drop off, and hang the bikes down 90 degrees to be able to get any use out of this bi-directional tilting ability.

-Ryan

Members who have read this thread: 0