Advice on hitch rack needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Advice on hitch rack needed

I did a brief search and found some answers but I have an old Thule hitch rack that I bought in 1996. It's for 1 1/4 and I run an adapter to make it fit the 2" in my truck. What I don't like about the rack is how the bikes get scratched up.

I'm looking for a new rack and it appears the Thule T2 is the type where the bikes won't get scratched. The rack gets good reviews at REI.com and also I see the rack mentioned here a lot. I'm guessing this is a good rack?

What about Saris? Is Saris a good brand? What rack do they have that would work like the T2?

My LBS has a Saris rack which costs more but she states that is because it comes with the locks and the Thule doesn't. I don't know the model of the Saris rack she has. I have a lock for the hitch so no one can steal the rack. What other locks are needed? Does the T2 have a way that it locks the bikes to the racks?

One other thing I like about the T2 is apparently you can use it with 1 1/4 or 2" from the factory. The Saris you either have to order in 1 1/4 or 2" and then buy/use an adapter for.

My current rack is the type where the bike rests in the rack on the top tube. When using a rack like the T2 where the rack grabs onto the tires do you have to worry about road clearance? Granted I have a 4wd truck so would only be concerned if I put it on the camary.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    In looking at each of their web sites it appears the Saris locks the bikes to the rack via a cable where the Thule T2 has a lock that either comes standard or can be added to the bar that goes over the tire.

Now that I write that it doesn't really offer protection since someone can just quick release the tire from the bike and they have the bike off. So I am guessing you would need to use a cable lock on both of them correct to secure the bikes to racks ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The T2 comes in 1.25 and 2" versions just like the Saris - the backbone of either rack is size specific. The T2 comes with no locking features out of the box. You can buy lock cores for the ratching arms which help secure the bikes to the rack (would not trust that - a smart thief could release QRs, air out tire, and defeat it - best to keep a cable lock in the car if you are away for more than a few minutes) and then you need a Thule anti-wobble locking hitch-pin to lock the rack to the car.

On vehicles with low ground clearance tray style hitch racks will frequently bottom out and scrap the ground.

Gig'em Aggies!
    Unless you are wanting to spend that much money (and both of those racks are great racks), you can order This rack from etrailer.com. It is an outstanding rack for the price. They also have a 4 bike version. It is made for a 1.25" hitch but comes with the adapter to make it fit a 2". It sways a little due to the adapter, but the bikes are more than secure, do not get scratched, and the additional lock set is great in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is there a tube rack that won't allow the bikes to bang into one another and get them scratched? Just thinking from a clearance issue. Like I said on the truck I have no worries.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    [QUOTE=syadasti]..... and then you need a Thule anti-wobble locking hitch-pin to lock the rack to the car.
    QUOTE]

I'm guessing any lock will do. They just probably have the anti-wobble lock to remove the slack between the rack and the hitch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks like I am sold on the Saris Cycle On Pro.

Members who have read this thread: 0