Acura RDX experience?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Acura RDX experience?

I'm looking for a vehicle that will allow me to carry a bike easily with a hitch rack AND put it inside when needed. It's got to be fun to drive with a bit of power. I don't like pickups and don't want a full size SUV. I have a ridiculously long commute so I want something that gets better than 25mpg. I want all the tech features -- bluetooth, nav, ipod, etc.

I've narrowed my choices to:
    - Honda Crosstour (like it but the whole concept is being scrapped by Honda next year)
    - Acura RDX (top contender)
    - Audi Q5 (ridiculously overpriced...$55k? Ha!)
    - Infiniti QX50 (good choice but not keen on the looks. Nose is waaaaay too long)
    - Subaru (meh...not inspiring even though I can get VIP pricing)
    - BMW X3 (meh...I'm done with BMWs for a while)

Thoughts on the RDX?? Anyone using one for getting to and from the trailhead AND a daily driver?
    Last edited by KevinGT; 04-23-2014 at 07:13 PM.

mtbr member
    I had a similar list and went with the Q5, hands down the best handling out of the bunch.

The RDX is cool if you want a good Honda that handles like a common SUV.

mtbr member

Acura RDX experience?

We have an RDX and I love it.

mtbr member
    I have both an 2011 RDX and a 2014 Crosstour. Both are great and good gas mileage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hi Freinds,

Acura RDX its chic styling and advanced technologies, the RDX is the perfect showcase for your elevated sensibilities. Really I Like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If the Q5 is too pricey, check out the VW Touareg. They start at around $42k and are much bigger than the Q5. Its also an all around amazing and under rated car. My wife and I bought one last and year and couldn't not be happier with it.

The RDX is a great SUV but the isn't nearly as rugged as an "utility" vehicle should be.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post

The RDX is a great SUV but the isn't nearly as rugged as an "utility" vehicle should be.
    That's actually more of an advantage to me. I was leaning to the Crosstour specifically because it's very "non-utility." Doing the quick math, in a typical week, I spend about 18 hours in my car. 15 of those hours are driving to and from my office. 1 is spent running errands. 2 are spent driving to and from the trailhead with my MTB. So with around 91% of my "car time" being sans bike, it make sense to get a vehicle that's GREAT on the roads and just OK with a MTB. Full size SUVs and pickups are the opposite. They are GREAT with the MTB but OK (or worse) on the roads.

That led me to the RDX. More car than SUV but fully capable of hauling my Yeti to the trails.

My current car is GREAT on the roads but HORRIBLE for MTB. I want to move the needle a bit closer to "good" for MTB.

Yes, there are exceptions -- like a 2 hours drive to the north GA mountains or 3 hours to Asheville, but most of the time, I just need my car to be a luxurious commuter.
    Last edited by KevinGT; 04-24-2014 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Both the RDX and Crosstour are great cars. Really similar in size and interior space. RDX slightly bigger with a bit more room. Crosstour gets better gas mileage and handles better than the RDX. If you go with Leather the quality and trim is very similar. Price wise they are pretty comparable. Both are very reliable. Cant go wrong either way. Plus down the road if you don't like the Car/SUV both Honda and Acura have the best resale value out of any of the cars mentioned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    i think so,the RDX is the perfect showcase for your elevated sensibilities

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I went from a Toyota Tundra to a '14 RDX recently. I only used the truck as a "truck" a few times per year, so it was overkill. The RDX is going to feel nicer, finish wise, than any other Honda or Subaru, as it's a competitor to Lexus, etc. We have a really nice '14 Accord, and the RDX has a more luxurious feel for sure, even though they are the same company overall.

I live in Seattle and the RDX gets ok gas mileage - hilly and generally poor traffic. I usually get 26 or 27 mpg on hiway trips which often have a mountain pass involved. Also the RDX has pretty good power which can be fun - it's almost as fast as my old suped up Subaru WRX was.

It works for me as a bike hauler. I'm 6' tall and I use a roof rack with no issues, and I've also had bikes in the back with the seats down. Front wheel off, it's no problem.

Edit: If you're like me, you will feel guilty about shoving your dirty mountainbike in the back, and use towels or something to keep the back of the seats clean .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Cant speak of the RDX, and maybe my post is irrelevant, but my mother in law owns a MDX. I have driven it on long and short trips and can honestly say, what a POS. Its not that comfortable, the seats are like sitting on rocks, it has tons of road noise from the stock Michelin Pilot tires and its got that "gimmicky" Japanese car interior and features.
    It does have decent power and gets decent mileage though.
    The MDX makes me wonder why my mother in law, as well as others, pass up on vehicles that do everything better, and look better doing it and buy the MDX, but to each its own.

mtbr member

Acura RDX experience?

What year MDX? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

mtbr member

Acura RDX experience?

Gotcha. Just wondering if they have improved since then. In a way it's like comparing apples to oranges when you're comparing a brand new 2014 with a newer body style to a 2011. 3 years makes a difference.... sometimes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I agree with you on that thought, I was just comparing cars at that time, she bought the Acura from her son's recommendation, I showed her other cars that in my opinion were way better in every sense, btw, she doesn't drive anymore, hasn't pretty much since 2006, so I think it was her sons choice on the Acura.

mtbr member

Acura RDX experience?

Working the system, it sounds...

banned
    Feb 2012
    I have no experience with the latest gen of RDX but my 2012 RDX is super fun to drive, mostly thanks to the SH-AWD with torque vectoring and the stellar little turbocharged engine. The car does 0-60MPH in 6.5s. It does not handle like a common SUV.

That said, the new RDX is an entirely different beast, re-designed to compete with Lexus for more tame drivers.

mtbr member

Acura RDX experience?

I personally don't feel that the newer RDX handles like a common SUV either. However, I am have a few base model SUVs (like a CRV) to compare it to.