Aaaaarghhhhh- Mtbr.com

Thread: Aaaaarghhhhh

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Aaaaarghhhhh

OK - I'm desperate here -
    I own a 2007 Mazda Miata convertible and I am trying to find a bike rack that could work on this car -
    I was even trying to find someone who could customize one for the car -

Any ideas, suggestions???

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombikezoom
    OK - I'm desperate here -
    I own a 2007 Mazda Miata convertible and I am trying to find a bike rack that could work on this car -
    I was even trying to find someone who could customize one for the car -

Any ideas, suggestions???
    I went to target or walmart and picked up a bell 2 bike trunk mount rack for about $25 (give or take). I was driving a 99 miata at the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Are hitches available for the '07 ('07 is the next gen model)?

I use this rack from Xport (Performance) on my '97 Miata...
    https://www.performancebike.com/pwr/...itch-Rack.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bike rack for 2007 Miata

Well, I picked up a bell rack at walmart - defective - will try another one but this will be a challenge getting the rack to stay put when driving...........there's really nowhere to tie it down to!
    I've checked before to see if Mazda had a hitch - and they didnt - wondering if a hitch can be custom made..............

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well, I picked up a bell rack at walmart - defective - will try another one but this will be a challenge getting the rack to stay put when driving...........there's really nowhere to tie it down to!
    I've checked before to see if Mazda had a hitch - and they didnt - wondering if a hitch can be custom made..............
    Bummer you had trouble with yours. A friend of mine has a 2nd gen Miata (also a '99 I think) and he uses a trunk mount rack all the time. The only advantage his had over mine was two straps that gave lateral support to the rack. Very nice to have, but I was able to use mine without those straps. If I recall correctly, I used only the trunk as my strap points.

I'm sure if you go to a good fabricator you can have one fabbed up. Be very careful of a 'custom hitch' place -- I got ripped at one of these so called custom places when I needed a hitch on my '83 VW rabbit.

mtbr member
    I use the Thule hitch rack on my 2000 Miata. It is so fast and easy to use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So, my problem is getting a hitch - Mazda doesnt have one for the 2007 Miata MX-5 - and I've checked Thule, Yakima, Saris and they dont offer any for that model.
    So, I'm going to purchasing another Bell rack (hopefully this one wont be defective) and try to make it work -
    I am determined to carry a bike on this car!! After all, there are bike racks for motorcycles !!

mtbr member
    So, my problem is getting a hitch - Mazda doesnt have one for the 2007 Miata MX-5 - and I've checked Thule, Yakima, Saris and they dont offer any for that model.
    So, I'm going to purchasing another Bell rack (hopefully this one wont be defective) and try to make it work -
    I am determined to carry a bike on this car!! After all, there are bike racks for motorcycles !!
    So, you are looking for a hitch receiver? I have a semi-hidden one by Da'Lan. Try them. If that does not work, try searching Miata.net Garage and then the forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Excellent !! I found a hitch receiver that would work !

Three different websites with three different prices - etrailer,hitches online, bageco....
    didnt know if anyone had better experiences with one site vs. another...........

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've used Hitchesonline.com with no problems. Haven't used the others.

More Torque
    You may get a better response if you edit the title to be more descriptive.

I've had good luck with my Curt hitch, and Hitchsource shipped my product quickly. Their packaging sucks, however, and I'm not the first person to have their heavy hitch banging around inside an oversize box, with little to no extra packing material.

For your car:

http://www.hitchsource.com/mazda-mx5...s-p-27740.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~
    You may get a better response if you edit the title to be more descriptive.

I've had good luck with my Curt hitch, and Hitchsource shipped my product quickly. Their packaging sucks, however, and I'm not the first person to have their heavy hitch banging around inside an oversize box, with little to no extra packing material.

For your car:

http://www.hitchsource.com/mazda-mx5...s-p-27740.html

Maybe there is a different receiver design for the NC Miata because I dont like the one above. The one above would have visible a big ugly bar hanging below the bumper. My Miata hits for the last generation has the cross bar above the actual receiver and most of it is hidden from view. I had less fasteners to install. The design of the NC Miata prevents this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Mission Accomplished

Thanks to everyones input, I am now able to carry my bike on my Mazda Miata ! I went with the Curt receiver hitch and a Thule bike rack. I do appreciate everyone's help - I was told by lots of folks that there was no way I could carry a bike on my car! Aaaaaah,,,,,,,determination wins out again!

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyones input, I am now able to carry my bike on my Mazda Miata ! I went with the Curt receiver hitch and a Thule bike rack. I do appreciate everyone's help - I was told by lots of folks that there was no way I could carry a bike on my car! Aaaaaah,,,,,,,determination wins out again!
    Post pics of the products you purchased and post pics of everything installed. I looked at the NC Miata and the rear bumper cosmetics and the dual exhaust make the design of the receiver more difficult than NB.

Members who have read this thread: 0