4 bike rack for 2013 4Runner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

4 bike rack for 2013 4Runner

I borrowed a friends Double Down (non-Ace) 4 and was able to get 4 bikes on but it took a decent amount of time and it was tight.

4 bikes are:

XL Soma Juice
    Med Felt MTB
    Kids Performance Bike brand MTB
    Kids REI brand MTB

Both kids bike have that wacky frame structure....Wanted to pick up my own hitch rack to have and love the look of the Ridgeback 4. Bought it. It will only hold my Soma and one of the kids bikes...there is no room for the Felt and the other kids bike wont even go over the two rods.

I almost pulled trigger on the Double Down Ace 5 as you can remove of of the mounts and turn it into a 4 bike rack with a little more room.

Any other racks I should consider for what I am trying to accomplish?
    ★★★★ My 2012 Soma Juice build ★★★★

mtbr member

Re: 4 bike rack for 2013 4Runner

Mostly for MTB? NSR-4. Tough, easy to use. http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%204-bike.htm

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

code: mtbr2011
    Saris Freedom 4. We carry them in the store but not online yet...I brought these in because they are PERFECT for families of 4 that have kids bikes and FS Mountain bikes.
    top pick from me

RFB
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I need to carry 4 bikes as well and tried the Yakima Fulltilt 5 bike carrier. Very difficult to get the bikes on. Handlebars hitting seats and other handlebars, etc. Returned it and bought a Saris Freedom 4 rack and couldn't agree more with the other posts. It's well made, solid in the hitch and easily carries 2 29er's, a 26" men's mountain bike and 26" female frame comfort bike. I've also had a 20" BMX bike on it as well as a 16" in all combinations of the above. Takes a little time to adjust to fit all the bikes, but with the cradles able to move side to side, I did not have a problem with contact between bikes. If you take the same bikes regularly, you set it once and then it is very quick to put the bikes back in the cradle. Straps for bikes are a little difficult to secure at first, but seem to brake in quickly. Some movement when fully loaded, but nothing that concerned me. Rack folds down with bikes on it to get at the hatch and up for storage on vehicle.
    If you're looking for bomb proof, you might want to look elsewhere. There is a lot of plastic on this, but that keeps the weight down. About 52 pounds. Plus, Saris customer service is amazing!!