4-bike hitch rack on an '09 Forester?- Mtbr.com
    ODB
    mtbr member

4-bike hitch rack on an '09 Forester?

The '09 Forester is on my shortlist now that my 200K Corolla is starting to show its age. Looking to ditch roof racks for good, but i'd like to be able to carry three or four 30- to 35-pound bikes. Can the Forester handle that much weight on the back? I'm thinking a T2 setup. Thanks.

Stiff yet compliant
    For that car you can get a hitch with a 2" opening and a 400 lb tongue weight. Should have no trouble with a 4 bike rack.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB
    The '09 Forester is on my shortlist now that my 200K Corolla is starting to show its age. Looking to ditch roof racks for good, but i'd like to be able to carry three or four 30- to 35-pound bikes. Can the Forester handle that much weight on the back? I'm thinking a T2 setup. Thanks.
    piece of cakeA short while back, i posted a blog entry on the thule t2 vs Yakima Holdup side by side comparison.

i hope you find it helpful....

wawe member
    I have a 2 bike T2, great rack but if you're going with the +2 extension keep in mind how far back it hangs and what it could do to your departure angle. I'd worry about constantly dragging it on driveways, etc. on a vehicle as low as a Forester.

If you're only transporting MTBs and not road bikes, take a look at these: http://www.northshoreracks.com/

ODB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    I have a 2 bike T2, great rack but if you're going with the +2 extension keep in mind how far back it hangs and what it could do to your departure angle. I'd worry about constantly dragging it on driveways, etc. on a vehicle as low as a Forester.

If you're only transporting MTBs and not road bikes, take a look at these: http://www.northshoreracks.com/
    That's why I'm looking at the '09 Forester: It appears to have significantly higher clearance than previous model years. More SUV-ish, less wagon-ish. Plus, I'd be using the extension only occasionally.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    If you're only transporting MTBs and not road bikes, take a look at these: [URL="http://www.northshoreracks.com/"
    http://www.northshoreracks.com/[/URL]
    these are really cool racks....a bit expensive, and hard to get. i spoke with the guys there about carrying them in our store, and they just don't want to change their business model to ramp up production and begin distribution.

i can understand....you grow and grow, and the next thing you know you don't have time for anything except work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm thinking along the same lines. We have a 2010 Forester and I am trying to decide whether to get an 1-1/4" reciever or a 2" reciever. I hear the reciever end is tucked way up high, but I haven't been able to see one to know if it will work with our bike rack. Also thinking about different rack options on down the road.

I have a rack that fits 1-1/4", and I also have a 2" adapter. Kinda looking at doing a 2" but I am not 100% sure.

So can anyone get a measurement on their 09 or 10 reciever end horizontally to the back edge of the bumper? Like measure from a stick or something against the bumper, forward to the end of the reciever? I am curious about how tucked under these recievers are. Please. Plus I'll want to know what size reciever it is, and what make.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 2009 is a half inch or so higher than the previous gen, and that is due to taller tires. The frame has probably been revamped as well so does that cause a higher hitch receiver? I'm glad they now let it take a 2" hitch- so annoying the previous gen could not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It seems to me that the reciever opening would be higher than before. But what I really need to know is how far forward from the bumper edge the reciever opening is. In inches. I am trying to avoid making a costly mistake so I need that measurement.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    It seems to me that the reciever opening would be higher than before. But what I really need to know is how far forward from the bumper edge the reciever opening is. In inches. I am trying to avoid making a costly mistake so I need that measurement.
    I just installed the Curt 2" receiver hitch on my buddies 2010 Forester.
    If I recall correctly, The receiver is either flush with the bumper or slightly recessed but I am not 100% sure. It would be a few days before I could actually take a look and put a level to the bumper plane as we have very different work schedules.
    Here is a video of a 2009 installation with a very very short view at the last second of the video.
    http://www.etrailer.com/tv-Hitch-ins...-Forester.aspx

Members who have read this thread: 0