3 bike trunk mount for 3 bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

3 bike trunk mount for 3 bikes

I need to move 3 bikes and i'm a bit of a cheap arse so getting roof mount or hitch installed + hitch mount are my last options. I've got a cheap no-name brand trunk mount with 6 straps that claims to hold 3 bikes but it's a struggle to get all 3 bikes on and only a matter of time before it ends up the the windshield of the car behind. With 2 bikes the rack is fine.

So i looked up the best of the best trunk mounts. Seems the Saris bones 3 and bones RS get the best rap however almost everyone says they use it for 2 bikes only and it's 'perfect'. i'm yet to find someone who regularly uses any trunk mount for 3 bikes and claims it's perfect.

Is it right to say that there's no such thing as a 3 bike trunk mount which will actually do 3 bikes comfortablely? If there is i'd love to know!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    unfortunately, I have never found a perfect 3 bike mount, unless all the bikes are a very classic build (think mid 70's steel road bikes). However, I have never found a 3 bike mount that can't hold 3 bikes if time is put in to tinker with their placement. For a single move, use what you have. If you are moving them a lot, get the hitch installed.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I have a Yakima King Joe 3 that hangs off the back of my Honda Fit hatchback and I can hold 3 full suspension bikes off of it with no problem. I've had up to two 40+ pound Wal-Mart bikes plus my 32 pound Haro on it all at the same time and it will hold them in place and secure for long trips. I've found that the easiest way to get three bikes on the rack is to use a Yakima Toptube to hold the middle bike. It allows most of the bike to hang below the rack while the other two bikes are higher up on it. Prevents handlebar/seat interference.

A friend has the same model but uses it on a car with a regular trunk but he can only hold two bikes on the rack due to the bumper getting in the way. Another friend owns a Saris Bones 3 and has trouble getting 3 bikes on his rack without them rubbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    used a bones 3 for years. with a couple mittens or socks 3 bikes can fit without leaving the carnage. removing a wheel or two can also make a large difference on the bigger bikes. always cover the pedal closest to your car, or tie it off!! it can spin around and gouge your spoiler/trunk lid

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll need to strap on 3 bikes around once a week so looks like i'll have to fork out the money for a hitch mount. Thanks for the replies guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0