20mm Truck Bed Fork Mount Recomendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

20mm Truck Bed Fork Mount Recomendation

I have done a search a came up with a ton of info, so much I cant remember which is which.

So, I wouldn't mind getting some direct input from you guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Could use a suggestion

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Got it

code: mtbr2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Or a Hurricane/ Thule/ Yakima adaptor which is more secure than any other on the market, even the ones that copied our patented design.

Old school BMXer
    Adapters for bike mounts in the bed of the truck suck!
    Unless you fix the rear wheel to the bed of the truck the adapter rotates on the mount. Without firmly mounting the rear wheel, using adapters are a bad idea. And who wants to go through all this hassle if you have a truck?
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hugh hassle to take the front wheel off, damn! We ride bikes, isnt it a hassle to peddle the bike also, when we could just ride motorcycles and turn the throttle, hell, we could even ride to the trailhead.
    I have to laugh when people complain and say that it is a hassle to remove the front wheel, must be us lazy Americans.

Your adaptor should not rotate as long as you have a secure fork mount, I rarely hear the complaint that the fork rotates.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 08-14-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: @#$%

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I do ride motorcycles lol

mtbr member extraordinair
    For 2 or more bikes, I can see the need for an adapter. But I laugh at people who only carry one bike in the bed of a truck and feel they need to stand it up so their precious bike does not get scratched!

This pic shows the adapter a buddy of mine made (it does not rotate):

Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    But I laugh at people who only carry one bike in the bed of a truck and feel they need to stand it up so their precious bike does not get scratched!
    Expand your horizons.

Have you ever taken your bike down a 6 or 8 or 15 miles rutted, pot holed, rock infested dirt forest service roads to get to a TH? If not secured your bike would be getting air time in the back and be beaten all to hell in no time. Either you have not.. or you drive 3mph... or you just don't care.

Anyhow, OP:
    I have used a Hurricane Fork-up 20mm adapter secured to a $9 QR mount, which in turn is secured to the rail system around the perimeter of my Frontiers bed. I do not/have not ever secured the rear wheel and the Fork-up has never once slipped down out of place. YMMV I guess.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Hugh hassle to take the front wheel off, damn! We ride bikes, isnt it a hassle to peddle the bike also, when we could just ride motorcycles and turn the throttle, hell, we could even ride to the trailhead.
    I have to laugh when people complain and say that it is a hassle to remove the front wheel, must be us lazy Americans.

Your adaptor should not rotate as long as you have a secure fork mount, I rarely hear the complaint that the fork rotates.
    What's up with you lazy Americans who can't read and go off on some stupid tangent.

Pay attention here: I said it's a hassle securing the rear wheel. Just because you don't get complaints doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Before making my own mounts I often had problems of the adapter rotating - sometimes forward, sometimes rearward. You're relying on the clamping force from a 9mm skewer to prevent the adapter from rotating? Sure, it may work some of the time, but certainly not all the time.

So what do you define as a secure fork mount?
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You must be one of the lazy and stupid Americans I mentioned. You came off in your prior post , stating " adaptors for bike mounts in the bed of a truck suck" have some basis for your rant, just because it may have happened to you, does'nt mean it happens to everyone, it sounds a lot like an isolated incident, that unfornately some people on this site use an incident, then everything loosely related to your(their) experience is crap. But really, I have to laugh when I hear riders say that its a inconvience to take their front off, kind of like the way I would hear DH'ers complain about having to peddle on a DH course, sorry, but I just dont get it.

Tell how your back wheel moves around? by secure you fork in a fork mounted rack, your eliminating a pivot point and your rear wheel has a better chance of staying put then if you use tie downs or about any other method.
    I dont know what kind of fork mounted rack you use, but I have never experienced your problem

You have to firmly secure the forkup to the mount AND firmly secure the fork to the forkup. They both have to be tight to prevent the forkup from rotating over the mount. The only time I noticed it rotating was when I didnt have the maxle tight enough.

However, it would be a nice design improvement to make some kind of anti-swivel adapter. I essentially did that by welding a pipe to a piece of angle iron. Its not portable, but I still have my forkup when I need to use it on a different rack.

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Expand your horizons.

Have you ever taken your bike down a 6 or 8 or 15 miles rutted, pot holed, rock infested dirt forest service roads to get to a TH? If not secured your bike would be getting air time in the back and be beaten all to hell in no time. Either you have not.. or you drive 3mph... or you just don't care.
    Well, with a 35 pound bike, it would be hard to get "air time" on even the roughest roads. The most it ever does is slide around back there. Ive had some crashes that have beat up the bike far more than a bumpy ride in the bed of a truck. But then again, my bike is old, and maybe I just dont care

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    Well, with a 35 pound bike, it would be hard to get "air time" on even the roughest roads.

My old Suzuki RM250 weighs over 200lbs. Guess I can just throw that in the back of the truck as well