20mm TA roof mount options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

20mm TA roof mount options?

Afternoon everyone. I am in the midst of building up a new bike with a 20mm TA fork and so I am going to be in need of a way to get around with it when we use the wife's car to travel. I currently have a Thule roof rack system. The trays I have on it right now are fork mount for 9mm quick release. I have not found anything on the Thule site for 20mm TA fork mounts. Would my best bet be to go with a tray where the wheel stays on? It is a hardtail 29r if that makes any difference. Any help would be great.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    You need a Fork Up
    PM sent.
    Too many toys, not enough time.

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    I have the Fork Up one. Works fine, although not sure how one could be better than the other. Only issue with the Fork Up is that it is baby blue. Spray paint can fix that though. Dont forget though that when your using an adapter like this, you cant lock the bike to the rack. Atleast my Yakima rack lets you lock the bike through the skewer on the rack. I now use a normal cable lock through the fram and around the rack to lock the bike so I can go in places and not worry about the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the info everyone as well as the offer. The fact that I can't lock either of those options make them a no go for me. I can't see my wife being ok with any kind of cable or lock dinging the roof of her Volvo. I might end up getting one of the Thule trays that the front wheel stays on. If anyone else has suggestions then bring them on.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    I've never had the lock ding my roof. It doesnt use a seperate key lock. It has a lock built in. I wrap it around the bike twice which leaves no slack in it.

I would however like to get one of the racks that lets you just throw the whole bike up there without taking anything apart. I got the adapter because it was $25 vs. $130+ for the other rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbikes4life
    I've never had the lock ding my roof. It doesnt use a seperate key lock. It has a lock built in. I wrap it around the bike twice which leaves no slack in it.

I would however like to get one of the racks that lets you just throw the whole bike up there without taking anything apart. I got the adapter because it was $25 vs. $130+ for the other rack.
    I get banished to the couch enough as it is. I suggested the cable and lock to the wife and all I saw in her eyes was a week on the couch. Not a big deal as we really have no trips planned for some time and the bike isn't finished yet.

I like the idea of throwing the whole bike up as well for the same reason you do. At least I have some time to put the money aside to get the other rack.

Does anyone have suggestions for which rack to go with?
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No, it is not "baby blue"...not even close , actually the Fork Up is Azure blue, some people hate it most like it. As far as the business sense is concerned, I was'nt about to have them powdercoated black or silver, to match with all of the racks on the market, I wanted them to stand out.
    Yakima and now Thule have them private labeled, Yakima/ black and Thule/ silver.
    Although I do not own Hurricane anymore, I still consult to them and recommended the Azure blue for the the Fork Up models.
    Anyhow, the Fork Up is the best product for your application. As far as locking goes, you can lock the Fork Up into your rack and use a 2' cable with a loop at each end. Simply make a noose around your down tube and put the other loop through the leg of the Fork Up which will be locked onto the rack, very simple and secure

mtbr member
    Wasnt meening to offend anyone with the baby blue comment. Thats just what it looked to me. In any case, its a light blue. And like I said, I have one and have no complaints at all. My axle fits tight in it and it doesnt wiggle at all. Bike is nice and secure in it. And I also do exactly what you said with the cable and it works perfectly too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thats good and all but i have to live with my wife. So an adapter that does not lock itself is a no go. Thank you for the answer though.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    if you get an adaptor, get yakima. Fork up is the exact same thing (except ugly baby blue) but who knows if they'll be around in 5 years and yakima is great to warranty stuff. if their products fail and cause damage to your bike they cover it.

Fork Up guy - chill out, shades of blue are subjective. it looks baby blue to me and apparently others....so yes it is. i've never heard of azure blue anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No stress here...just stating the real color. BTW, Hurricane makes the Fork Up for Yakima (not the other way around) and it looks like Thule now also. The Fork Up has been around since 1997, I still own the patent. I dont think we will be going away anytime soon, as a matter of fact, it looks like we are going to bringing out more bike components, just like the old days. Keep an eye out, hopefully by Sea Otter some proto's will be ready and the Fork Up product is selling better than ever.

As far as a locking mount for a 20mm fork, good luck, there isnt any unless you spend $$$ on a upright type carrier, but anyway you lock a bike onto a rack, if a thief wants it, he'll get it.

mtbr member
    op, rocky mounts has the option you seek...it's called the Driveshaft. It is a locking TA fork mount. It allows your axle or Maxle to stay on your fork and it clamps and locks it down. so, if you have a locking tray you'll be good to go. I believe it has been released or about to be. may be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    op, rocky mounts has the option you seek...it's called the Driveshaft. It is a locking TA fork mount. It allows your axle or Maxle to stay on your fork and it clamps and locks it down. so, if you have a locking tray you'll be good to go. I believe it has been released or about to be. may be worth the wait.
    That is exactly what I am looking for when using my wife's car.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Members who have read this thread: 0