20mm (Maxle) fork mount options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

20mm (Maxle) fork mount options?

I picked up a new bike which has the 20mm Maxle (Specialized version) fork on it.

Mostly I just transport my bike in the hatch of my car, or back of my pick-up, but occasionally I need to put it on the roof of our family car, which has QR fork mounts.

What are y'all using to accomplish this? Cheap and secure are my two desired features, It is rare that I need to mount to a rack at all.

Thx,
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Blue piece (bottom right) work really well.

I don't even know the brand or how much they retail for, I got 5 of them at a bike swap for $10 or something stupid and I just keep them attach to each 20mm fork.

sorry I can not be of much help finding the brand (took stickers off), but be sure the unit is sound you just attach (Like it was a fork) the Blue bracket to the stock QR and presto.

dhz
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Huricanne components

I got one of those for my pike, they cost about $30
    "Life is gonna pass you by no matter what you do. An' if you're afraid to die you damn well better not be afraid to live"

NMBP
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I would think the flytrap adapter from Rocky Mounts would work - I use it for my 20mm TA fork and love it http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=374241

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I'd recommend that Fork Up made by Hurricane Components. Cheaper than the Flytrap, simple to use. You do say "Specialized version" just to make sure, it is a maxle 20mm fork and not one of those Specialized proprietary forks with the 25mm axle? Because if it is, then the Fork Up (the red one, for Specialized forks) is the only option that I know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dhz
    Huricanne components

I got one of those for my pike, they cost about $30

Heap this are the one I have, they are heavy, cheppo made but they work really well and made 20mm fork mounting a lot easier on my rack.

I just did not know they cost so much retail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Fork Up is the best option. It is designed to work with any fork mounted rack, so it can be transferred from rack to rack, unlike some of the other 20mm systems.
    Check them out at www.hurricanecomponents.com

mtbr member

or

you can get the RockyMounts Flytrap Adapter for 20mm, an extra axle for Specialized forks AND a 15mm axle for the new 15mm TA forks that will be out in August!...one adapter does the lot, you don't need to but a separate adapter for each different bike, just extra axles!!! What if you need to carry a bike for a friend and you don't have the right rack...whip out your axle and you're good to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The problem with buying axles for different forks is, the axles usually cost more than the Fork Up, so if its a cost consideration, buying the axles, it is'nt a good choice.
    BTW, Hurricane already has a Fork Up for the soon to come out, 15mm x 100mm forks, you can't buy one yet, the fork or the Fork Up, but when the fork is availible, the Fork Up will be also.

mtbr member

so

how much is each fork up? With the RockyMounts you buy the FlyTrap adapter for 20mm which comes with a Specialized dummy axle for $59.95, then the 15mm TA dummy axle when it comes out and the Maverick when it is changed will be $15 each, so you can get 4 different adapters for $90, which actually lock!
    Buying the same setup from Hurricane components would be over $160 depending on the price of the 15mm TA fork up...that doesn't look like a good option to me if cost is a consideration
    Last edited by longman; 02-26-2008 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So are quoting wholesale prices? it sure sounds like it. A 20mm RockShox, Manitou, Marzocchi are like $40 ea retail, if you can find one. I'm sure the Maverick 24mm axle is not going to retail for $15 as you stated, I'm just figuring, seeing how overpriced Maverick sells their "made in Taiwan" parts for. You nmay be talking about parts from Rocky Mounts though, but still, I bet they wont retail for $15
    As far as locking is concerned, how do they lock? I mean, how could you actually get the axle to lock inside each manufactures forks, thats the $1,000,000 question. I assume the Fly trap is locked onto the axle...whow! another copied design by Rocky Mounts. Getting an adaptor to lock to a rack is easy, its the locking of the actual fork, which is virtually impossible. I have made, in the past, a cable that looped around the frame, then locked into a lockable fork mount, it was so simple, but totally effective.

BTW, Specialized uses a 25mm axle, not a 20mm. How does the Fly trap work with the Cannondale Lefty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    So are quoting wholesale prices? it sure sounds like it. A 20mm RockShox, Manitou, Marzocchi are like $40 ea retail, if you can find one. I'm sure the Maverick 24mm axle is not going to retail for $15 as you stated, I'm just figuring, seeing how overpriced Maverick sells their "made in Taiwan" parts for. You nmay be talking about parts from Rocky Mounts though, but still, I bet they wont retail for $15
    As far as locking is concerned, how do they lock? I mean, how could you actually get the axle to lock inside each manufactures forks, thats the $1,000,000 question. I assume the Fly trap is locked onto the axle...whow! another copied design by Rocky Mounts. Getting an adaptor to lock to a rack is easy, its the locking of the actual fork, which is virtually impossible. I have made, in the past, a cable that looped around the frame, then locked into a lockable fork mount, it was so simple, but totally effective.

BTW, Specialized uses a 25mm axle, not a 20mm. How does the Fly trap work with the Cannondale Lefty?
    I bought the Flytrap adapter last year for my old bike but my new Specialized wouldn't fit so I bought the Specialized dummy axle for $14.95 retail, works great. It does lock the bike to the car...you can't unscrew the axle to get the bike off. I used to use a forkup but you have to put the adapter on the bike then lift the whole thing up onto the roof, with the FlyTrap adapter you put that on the roof then simply place the bike on and flip the lid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Putting the Fork Up on the bike was the whole idea. It was designed that way so it would be like putting a bike with "standard" 9mm axle/drop-outs on your rack. I heard a few stories of people installing the Fork Up onto their rack, then try mounting the bike, it never really worked out that good doing that way.

I started and owned Hurricane from 1996-2003, I sold to Allied Manufacturing in 2003.
    I designed the Fork Up and got the patent for it in 1998. Up until recently, I worked for Hurricane as the sales/ marketing and design manager. I guess I'll always have a personal attachment to the Fork Up and Hurricane.

Members who have read this thread: 0