20mm and 15mm options for roof rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

20mm and 15mm options for roof rack

Just got a Ford Fusion. Need a rack (preferably) with universal key system AND a locking, front wheel off, rail.

What are my options. Thx!
    What Hill?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Upright or adapter are your choices. If you're looking at Yakima, something like a High roller or King Cobra upright (wheel stays on), or an adapter that you put on a regular fork mount and work out your own security for. Most just use a cable.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    Upright or adapter are your choices. If you're looking at Yakima, something like a High roller or King Cobra upright (wheel stays on), or an adapter that you put on a regular fork mount and work out your own security for. Most just use a cable.
    what he said, except for the king cobra. it's discontinued and there are way stronger racks out there nowadays.

any fork mount is going to require you use a 20mm or 15mm qr adapter like this. it will lock in to the bike rack, but you'll have to lock your bike somehow to the rack and a cable lock will do this.

FM
    mtbr member

Rockymounts

You could use a rockymounts flytrap. It will take 20mm stock.

I just got two of these and put them on a custom roof basket.
    My XC bike has a 15mm fork and mavic crossmax wheels.... I had Risse Racing make some adapters to step the crossmax hub down to 15mm, and they should work fine with the flyrtap.

I just got all this put together and haven't hauled my XC bike yet... so no guarantees. I can report back with pics in a few days.

By the way.... Word is that Rockymounts will have a 9/15/20mm product similar to the flytrap this year.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    By the way.... Word is that Rockymounts will have a 9/15/20mm product similar to the flytrap this year.
    i believe this was unveiled at interbike. we are expecting to hear more from rocky mounts about this.

FM
    mtbr member

Flytraps work great

Did a little roadtrip over the weekend, in 3 days I had every possible front axle size mounted up to the rockymounts flytraps. They work great- lockable, very solid connection and easy to use.

For 15mm, you do need 20-to-15mm adapters- I have a pair of crossmax hub adapters from Risse racing which work great and were pretty inexpensive. The adapters go on the axle/bike before mounting up to the rack... easy.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Rocky Mounts now has a similar through axle that supports 15mm or 20mm sizes called the DriveShaft:
    http://www.rockymounts.com/DriveShaft_p/1081.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0