2018/2019 Chevy Tahoe- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

2018/2019 Chevy Tahoe

Any body have one? Thoughts on gas mileage, parking issues, ride, etc? Comparisons to other SUVs.....

mtbr member
    Not on those years specifically, but Tahoe's in general. I've had Tahoe's from a couple of different years. If the 2018/19 is still built on GM's truck frame and drive line (and I believe they are), I would put them in the same category. My experience, they are mechanically tough. And not affected by high mileage. I currently have two Tahoes, both are one generation behind 2019's. One has just over 300,000 miles on it, and the other hitting 160,000 miles. We drive a lot. They're both used for daily city driving, as well as long hauls across the country. Sometimes pulling 6,000+ lbs. No major repairs on them. The one with 300k on it has had a couple of batteries replaced, an alternator, two tunes ups, and just had its 3rd brake job. It did have a rear AC unit replaced as a warranty service bulletin when it was ~6 months old. The one with 160k on it, all original with the exception of one tune up and one brake job. Oh, and shocks have been replaced on both, but because I wanted stiffer nitrogen staged shocks. They've both been abused while off roading, traversing 2+ foot deep creeks, going where no roads exist, climbing rocks, etc. You'd be surprised where these 6,000 lb things can go. Extremely reliable. I don't hesitate taking a Tahoe to places I know I'll be far from civilization.

As far as gas mileage, well, like I tell most people that ask me that... if you're asking about mileage on something this big, you looking at the wrong vehicle. I don't pay that much attention to mileage, but will say they get around 22-24 on the highway, 16 or so in town, my real world experience. And, interestingly, pulling a heavy trailer doesn't diminish mileage by as much as you'd think it would. More important to me is total miles to a tank since they are used for long distance travel, and sometimes wind up WAY off the beaten path. Both of them get around 440 miles a tank highway traveling, more like 360 in town. However, both are Z71's, which includes true 4 heel drive and towing package, and as such may have slightly lower gear ratios (less mileage) than other versions (LT, LTZ, etc.)

As for ride quality... being Z71's, mine are probably a little stiffer than LT/LTZ's. They sit taller due to suspension, and have larger, stiffer LT rated all terrain tires. But honestly, they ride pretty smooth on the highway. It's when on rough roads, or off roading, that there is a more noticeable difference. I think GM has done a good job balancing comfort with toughness. At least with the Z71's.

Bottom line... have I owned and abused other brands of trucks/SUV's? Yes. What will I buy (and spend that much $$ on, considering a 2019 Tahoe equipped like my current Tahoe's is over $80k)? A Chevy Tahoe!

BTW... with the rear seats down, you can mount three mountain bikes (front wheels removed) inside the rear!
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My general thought on Tahoes/Yukons is that if you're gonna pay all that money as well as put up with the gas mileage hit, there's no good reason not to just go with a Suburban/Yukon XL instead for the considerable bump in cargo space. I've had a number of Suburbans and when I look in the back of a Tahoe, I can't help but think that spacewise it's not gonna cut it for me. (Of course I've always tended to use mine as an actual sport/utility vehicle and it's always full of one thing or another, as well as doing double duty as a camper once in awhile.)

Other than that, great platform, I get tons of miles out of them and plan to always have one kicking around. The newer one are decidedly less truck-like than the old ones, but still sweet rigs. They also tend to handle and drive 'smaller' than comparably sized vehicles IME.

2018/2019 Chevy Tahoe-img_4166.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ I agree 100% on the Suburban, BUT, my wife is teetering on the edge of kicking me out for buying such a big car as the Tahoe. A Suburban would seal the deal! LOL!

mtbr member
    I agree regarding the extra space in the Suburban. It's nice to have it. And... Suburban's are more stable at pulling heavier/longer trailers due to its longer wheelbase. I don't go with Suburbans due to the over all length when off roading. Those few shorter inches save me from getting stuck in tight threes and high centering. I just have a different priority

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, definitely wouldn't be my choice for off-roading.
    But then again, I don't think I'd go with any brand new $60-70k vehicle for beating through the woods anyway.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    Picked up new Tahoe today. Got an LT pretty much loaded, except the wheels which are the standard 18". I will probably put after market wheels on it and use the 18s for snow tires. Great so far.

2018/2019 Chevy Tahoe-img_0612.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sweet rig!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Sweet rig!
    Once I doll it up it will be pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Picked up new Tahoe today. Got an LT pretty much loaded, except the wheels which are the standard 18". I will probably put after market wheels on it and use the 18s for snow tires. Great so far.
    Congrats! But wait... where's the bike rack!!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Congrats! But wait... where's the bike rack!!
    Haha.....it's going on today!