2016 Toyota Tacoma truck- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck

Family is in to it now but they're so pricey. What's the good word among you Taco truck owners out there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_6235.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_6242.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_6244.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_6249.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_6251.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_6256.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 double cab 4x4 TRD
    17mpg
    demands high octane fuel (engine pings, common problem with Tacos. I even took it in and had the cpu flashed to correct...didnt work. The manual and the service people say its standard and not an issue....sorry to tell you but it is an issue!)
    Ive owned all types of toyota 4x4's from 1982-2000 all have been awesome. This 2013 is a real bummer for me. Bout to trade it in for a minivan for the wife.

Hope the 16's have a different engine.

Glad mine has good resale, cuz its bout to be gone. I do like the size and the layout of my Taco, but the engine issue and horrible fuel economy bugs me.

My last taco 2000 v6 4x4 was the bomb! 265K miles and still ran like new, sold it for $10 3 years ago to fund the new Taco.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Had an 08 single cab 4X4 with a 4 banger. My boss has a double cab with a 6. The 4 is a big bore big liter engine and actually gets WORSE mileage than the 6. FWIW
    Great reliable truck.

mtbr member
    1999 TRD 4wd extended cab, 128,000 mi, no real issues except that it barely passes smog and has barely passed smog for years! Before I smog it, I have to clean the oxygen sensors, change the oil, then drive it for 20 - 30 miles. I'm not especially impressed.

The TRD ("turd") gets about the same mpg as my '07 duramax 2500 HD 4wd even though the chevy is carrying a Four Wheel Drive poptop camper! The chevy also has the power of a locomotive whereas the turd is more than a bit slow. I can pass much more safely with the duramax and a trailer than the turd with just a bike.

However, the turd has been to the dollhouse and very few vehicles other than dedicated jeep types ever get there! Only wapped the frame four times in and out.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    FC - good thing you still have the Crosstrek!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I thought about buying one but it's barely been updated since it came out in its current form. You'd be basically buying a 10yr old truck. No competition for so long has not pushed Toyota to improve it much.

Formerly dvo
    I have a 07 four door long bed 4x4 with about 110k on it and have loved every minute of it. It is an awesome family road trip vehicle, yeah the mileage could be better but I bought it for loading up the wife and kids for long road trips. I've carried 7 bikes and 4 people to Whistler, it will handle snow ( if we ever get any ) like a champ, and you can use it to help move the kids off to college ( coming sooner then you think! ) someday.

Throw the bikes over the tailgate and you are ready to go.
    Attachment 1023603
    The backseat holds plenty of Pliny
    Attachment 1023605
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-tailgate.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-truckpliny.jpg  

I'm the problem....

fc
    Yes this has a new engine. 3.5 V6 instead of the 4.0. Way more economical, same torque and accelerates better. We shall see.

Yes the old engine and mileage stopped me in my tracks before.

This will replace my Mini Pooper. We'll put it in the back and haul it to the dump.

fc
    IPA will save America

Ariolimax columbianus
    kinda want....but i wanna be able to tow an 18' boat i'm gonna end up getting. f150 might get my $$$$. 2nd owner on a 2003 double cab TRD 4x4....probably keep it for my toy rig and try to get it all lifted or sumtin.

Dirt Abuser
    Have a 2000 4x4 extended cab, V6 w/104k miles. Had one issue with a bearing leak around 36k miles where the radiator fluid made it's way to the timing belt,,,,made it jump which produced a timing issue. Truck was built at the former Numi plant in Fremont.

The cruise control does not work. I think a contact at the switch needs cleaning.

Aside from that, the truck runs great w/basic maintenance. Has enough torque for Tahoe trips (Used to drive a 4 banger Nissan which always struggled).

18.5 miles per gallon based on the gas cubby app.
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    Never understood the mileage on the 6. My 2002 Tundra V8 gets 20mpg freeway. The first Toyota truck I had was the pre-tacoma one, with no name. That was an inline 4 with a manual and got 30mpg. If the six had split the difference up the middle I would have gotten one.

The V8 last a long time and have good resale. If I ever need to replace the current one I'm inclined to just get the same again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    1989 ext cab still in my side yard, lots of miles (speedo cable snapped @ 180k in 2004), one head gasket replaced, runs like a charm, 20 mpg. First truck I bought on my own when I was 21.

People ask to buy it literally every month. Saving it for 8 more years until Jr get his license. I would have crapped my pants to have Toyota 4X4 in high school.

I have heard new Toys suffer from the suuuuuuck.

mtbr member
    I hear you can get a cheap used one from ISIS.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Anyone here ever drive an TRD X-Runner? I remember reading that they were supposed to have pretty good sportscar like handling. Do they?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Before my taco I had a Nissan xe v6 hard body. That truck was the biz. It became the frontier which is a different truck. Rumor has it there is a new Nissan coming out to compete with the taco. If it is anything like the hard body it'll be awesome. That said it does not have the same level of acutremonts ( sp?).

rho
    Life is strange
    I almost bought a taco, but not enough headroom killed it. Wife got in one at the lot and sat down... her head was against the headliner. instant nope.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Never understood the mileage on the 6. My 2002 Tundra V8 gets 20mpg freeway. The first Toyota truck I had was the pre-tacoma one, with no name. That was an inline 4 with a manual and got 30mpg. If the six had split the difference up the middle I would have gotten one.

The V8 last a long time and have good resale. If I ever need to replace the current one I'm inclined to just get the same again.
    Gearbox and old-ass reliable engine working hard made for bad mileage.

The new one has 6-speed tranny and Atkinson cycle whatever.
    IPA will save America

Rocks belong
    Is the Taco 4.0L really that bad on MPG's?

I rented one for a week and drove it from Denver to Grand Junction, around the Western slope and then back to Denver. Got 21.5 MPG

'13 Dbl cab, 4x4, 4.0L

Hell, my '08 Nissan Pathfinder 5.6L V8 has netted north of 20MPG!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a 2008 prerunner that I bought new so far it's been a great truck. For gas milage I get about 18-19 driving from Santa Cruz to SJSU and on flat ground I get 21-24. I think a big reason why some of the full sized v8 trucks may get better gas milage is due to the tacoma being sluggish at freeway speeds so to accelerate or pass anyone you have to floor it or shift the auto manualy to 4rth or 3rd, I normally keep it in 4rth or 3rd on 17. I also added a rear sway bar and upgraded the front.

My biggest gripe with the truck is the blind spots notably the drivers rear I cannot adjust my mirrors enough to adress it. Also because I am tall I have slouch to see signals and the rearview mirror blocks cars to my right at 4 way stops alond with the passenger b pillar blocking pedestrians in crosswalks.

mtbr member
    I treated all my cars like trucks so decided to actually get a truck last year.

Taco 2015 DCSB. Has served me well for all of my extracurricular activities and road trips. Tailgate pad has made my rides just a little easier. If I get a bigger garage I'll get a tundra mostly for the added space for camping trips (I sleep in the bed of the truck with a PVC skeleton and canvas top).
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Gearbox and old-ass reliable engine working hard made for bad mileage.

The new one has 6-speed tranny and Atkinson cycle whatever.
    Sweet truck FC! And yow, at that sticker price.

fc
    The 4 cylinder is a dog. It gets worse mileage than the V-6. The V6 puts out 278 hp. That's 42 hp more than last year. It has to work less and stay at a higher gear on the new 6 speed tranny.

Pricing:
    The manufacturerís suggested retail price (MSRP) for the 2016 Tacoma 4x2 will range from $23,300 for the SR Access Cab with a 2.7-liter 4-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission to $34,745 for the Double Cab Limited 3.5-liter V6 with a six-speed automatic transmission.

The MSRP for the 2016 Tacoma 4x4 will range from $24,825 for the SR 4-cylinder engine with a five-speed manual transmission to $37,820 for the V6 Limited with the six-speed automatic.

6 speaker JBL system with subwoofer sounds devastating!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-dsc01541.jpg  

IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    As much as I like the look of the Tacoma I can't stomach the price for such an outdated beast. I'll likely trade in my Volt for a 2015/2016 Colorado in February.

mtbr member
    The 2016 looks good. I wanted to get one, but ended up going with a Tundra instead (mainly due to the Tacoma not being available at the time). The Limited is pretty $$$$$!
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin' :skep:

fc
    We borrowed a Tundra before. Man, what a behemoth. Hideous on gas, awesome on the open roads. Scary in parking lots.

Heard it's a better value than the Tacos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_9531.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-p1010144.jpg  

IPA will save America

Better value but I wouldn't want to drive one (Tundra) vs. a Taco. I'm so used to smaller cars now that when I jump in my work truck (2004 F-250) I make the sad face, especially when trying to maneuver in parking lots or off-road trails.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by F8L View Post
    As much as I like the look of the Tacoma I can't stomach the price for such an outdated beast. I'll likely trade in my Volt for a 2015/2016 Colorado in February.
    a tempting option.....w/the new taco out, i'm a little torn and exhausted w/decision fatigue. why no f150's? just a little bigger than a taco midsize, eco boost has more horsepower and better mpg. think i'd still take an f150 over a tundra. i think my 1st gen double cab 4x4 will never die.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

OT: Taco ma truck

It's a shame we can't get the Hilux with efficient engines. At least the new engine offer some improvement - but you can get better mpg out a new F150 these days and way more power in smaller engine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    FC I owned a trd tacoma for 8 years since new, sold it last year, it was a cool truck but horrible on mileage. It really is rock solid in terms of reliability, but it drives horrible (like a truck!!!); happy driving my VW GTI now....

Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    a tempting option.....w/the new taco out, i'm a little torn and exhausted w/decision fatigue. why no f150's? just a little bigger than a taco midsize, eco boost has more horsepower and better mpg. think i'd still take an f150 over a tundra. i think my 1st gen double cab 4x4 will never die.
    I hear ya. I'm also considering the F-150 but the fuelly.com averages are quite a bit lower for the F-150 and Silverado. The FS trucks also feel quite a bit bigger despite the Colorado appearing so large. I like the look of the Colorado and Taco much more than the Silverado and a little more than the F-150.

If I didn't need all off the off-road goodies I'd spring for the new diesel option but that would push the price to $40K or more. So I'll probably stick with the Trail Boss package since that is what most dealers will carry. I won't turn down a lightly used F-150 if the price is right though.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    FC I owned a trd tacoma for 8 years since new, sold it last year, it was a cool truck but horrible on mileage. It really is rock solid in terms of reliability, but it drives horrible (like a truck!!!); happy driving my VW GTI now....
    Good info!!! Yup, that's what stopped me. Mileage and drivability. Good thing is I drive a lot slower now. Let's see if I can stand this handling.

I had a 4runner Pro for a week and man that thing was a gas guzzler like no other.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    It's a shame we can't get the Hilux with efficient engines. At least the new engine offer some improvement - but you can get better mpg out a new F150 these days and way more power in smaller engine.
    I see the problem with the new one.... to get the new efficient and powerful V6 engine, you have to spend over $35k. Otherwise you get the dog 4 cylinder.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    It took a little getting used to maneuvering the Tundra in tight spaces for a week or so. Feels like you get more for your $ than with the Tacoma.

I also looked at Canyon, Colorado, F150, Silverado, Sierra and discounted them for one reason or another. In the end the right combination of options came up in the Tundra and i jumped on it.

Oh and it's cheaper to run than my 4.2 V8 Audi I had previously...
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin' :skep:

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    '06 DCSB TRD Off-road. Been ridiculously reliable, probably average 17-19mpg (not a lot of stop-and-go here). At ~140k now, so starting to look at next vehicle. Right now I'm leaning towards a standard wheelbase, short roof new-school (enduro) van. Ford Transit is the frontrunner, but the new MB Metris has my interest piqued.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    F8L,
    Speaking from my personal experience and that we are in the same lines of work, if you own a truck that you can use for work, you'll end up using it for work instead of your work truck. That's why my Taco needed most of a new rear end at 100K miles. That and the fact that there is an actual jump to jump the truck with on the way to one of our properties.
    Be forewarned sir!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I see the problem with the new one.... to get the new efficient and powerful V6 engine, you have to spend over $35k. Otherwise you get the dog 4 cylinder.
    Part of the problem is these things are so fancy now. Americans can no longer ride in trucks with basic trim like we used to. My friend still has a cheapo 4 banger he bought new for $6,900 with hose out floors and 400k on it - it even has the original clutch!

Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    F8L,
    Speaking from my personal experience and that we are in the same lines of work, if you own a truck that you can use for work, you'll end up using it for work instead of your work truck. That's why my Taco needed most of a new rear end at 100K miles. That and the fact that there is an actual jump to jump the truck with on the way to one of our properties.
    Be forewarned sir!
    Aye, that is part of the problem. We have a new staff member who will be using the work rig so that leaves me with scheduling issues or using my Volt (formerly a Prius) which is what I have done up until last year when we got the work truck. I know you are right and that is why I'm carefully considering paint color and clear bra/PlastiDip applications to reduce damage. It worked pretty well on my Volt. Scratches on a truck are inevitable though. Time to get over being a paint perfectionist. lol

mtbr member
    Part of the problem is these things are so fancy now. Americans can no longer ride in trucks with basic trim like we used to. My friend still has a cheapo 4 banger he bought new for $6,900 with hose out floors and 400k on it - it even has the original clutch!
    Yes I used to have an old Ford Ranger basic truck that was nice to have around the house for hauling etc. Now it is upwards of 20K for a base truck and Ford stopped selling the Ranger in the US. I think you can still get one but not here. Seems all the car companies are getting us to buy much larger trucks than we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    I think you can still get one but not here. Seems all the car companies are getting us to buy much larger trucks than we need.
    Part of that is the illusion that we are getting a better deal or more for our money when we purchase a FS truck vs. a mid-sized. Larger doesn't always equal better. Unfortunately many people believe it does.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I think you can get the Mazda ford Ranger, can't you?

fc
    Part of that is the illusion that we are getting a better deal or more for our money when we purchase a FS truck vs. a mid-sized. Larger doesn't always equal better. Unfortunately many people believe it does.
    Why do you hate America?

Just kiddin. That's good insight actually.
    IPA will save America

Rocks belong
    Ideally, I'm holding out for the redesigned Nissan Frontier with a small, Cummins diesel engine.

Double cab, mid-sized pickup with a torquey and fuel efficent I-4 diesel engine? Yes, please.

I'm really, really intrigued by the new Nissan Titan with the 5.0L Cummins V8 engine. But I simply do not need (nor want) a truck that big.

Disclaimer: I work for Cummins (and previously worked for Bosch), so I'm biased towards diesel engines. But haven't ever actually owned one
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    2006 owner here.

4x4 TRD off road. i average 20 mpg. my best tank was driving to LA..i got 24!! blew me away. most of my mix driving is 18ish.

what i hate? the brakes. the truck stops fine, but the brake pedal might be the worst feeling pedal in all my driving. very spongy and ambiguous. every time i get out of my truck and switch into my work truck (chevy silverado), my first hit of the brakes will be way over emphasized and will chirp the tires.

i really only drive my truck to and from hunting trips. it has been pretty bombproof. i bought it used and i cannot complain about anything..except the brake pedal feel.

maint has been pretty easy. even getting to the spark plugs every 35000 miles has been pretty uneventful. oil..pfft. gear oil..pfft.

did they get rid of the two piece drive shaft on the 2016???

did they beef up the tailgate? mine feels bendable..very fragile. if i pushed a motorcycle across it, it feels like it would bend.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What if the larger truck has more power and better MPG? The new aluminum F150 beats the Toyota in both departments. We need the diesels they have everywhere else in the world - but VW has set that back a bit I'd guess with their sneaky tricks.

Ariolimax columbianus
    i think the trend is more americans getting larger. how well do you think a new taco can pull around 5000lbs (boat, stuff)? towing to tahoe?

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha43 View Post
    17mpg
    demands high octane fuel (engine pings, common problem with Tacos. I even took it in and had the cpu flashed to correct...didnt work. The manual and the service people say its standard and not an issue....sorry to tell you but it is an issue!)
    Ive owned all types of toyota 4x4's from 1982-2000 all have been awesome. This 2013 is a real bummer for me. Bout to trade it in for a minivan for the wife.

Glad mine has good resale, cuz its bout to be gone. I do like the size and the layout of my Taco, but the engine issue and horrible fuel economy bugs me.

My last taco 2000 v6 4x4 was the bomb! 265K miles and still ran like new, sold it for $10 3 years ago to fund the new Taco.
    Interesting experience. I fortunately have had much better luck with mine. 2012 double cab, 4x4, TRD Sport, V6, longbed. I average around 16 MPG but I also drive somewhat aggressively. Regular unleaded is what mine requires and never had any problems with pinging although I did have some periodic bogging that the dealer fixed also with a CPU reflash. Only one other warranty item related to a whistling noise at high speeds and the dealer corrected this by replacing the windshield seals.

Otherwise my truck has been tip-top. Could always use a little more horsepower (most vehicles could IMHO) which the new models address but I used to own a much heavier 1999 Toyota 4Runner V6 with only 183 horsepower so I've certainly managed with less.

It's also very convenient for hauling bikes. Before I got my Bakflip bed cover I had bed rail mounts to carry my bikes. I use to volunteer SAG at one of my wife's road riding events and once shuttled 4 bikes and their riders to the next rest stop and still had room for more bikes in the hitch mounted rack I was borrowing.

Also great in the cold, snow and hauling other precious cargo as well )

Attachment 1023810

Attachment 1023811

Attachment 1023812
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_2020.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_1284.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_3382.jpg  

٩(●̮̮̃ē̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃ē̃)۶ ٩(◊̯◊)۶

mtbr member

Love my 2013 taco

4cyl and 4x4. Hey my truck came with his and her dressing rooms ... open in pic for driver and passenger. GF kicked me to the curb so now just his and his dressing rooms! Attachment 1023831
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-fullsizerender-181.jpg  

Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Why waste your time with a Toy? Get a F250-350 diesel. More power same or better mileage.

What if the larger truck has more power and better MPG? The new aluminum F150 beats the Toyota in both departments. We need the diesels they have everywhere else in the world - but VW has set that back a bit I'd guess with their sneaky tricks.
    They are somewhat close but the mid-sized trucks still lead by 3+mpg average if you use Fuelly as a gauge. Going from 18mpg to 21mpg adds up in the long run, especially if you save $4K on initial purchase.

With the new mid-size trucks capable of towing 7,600lbs smoothly I think less people will be swayed by the towing argument for larger trucks. I work with plenty of farmers/ranchers to know big trucks have a place but alot of people can't afford a $55,000 F-250 turbo diesel and the fuel savings are minimized by higher diesel fuel prices and maintenance. However, If you tow a lot then diesel rocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    can you still get the tacoma w/ the 6 spd manual? i drove a friend's 2013 (4x4, v6, 4 door), and it seemed like a pretty solid utility vehicle. the seating position/headroom seemed kinda low, but other than that, it felt pretty comfy during cruising. the handling was ponderous, but i would expect that for a truck based vehicle vs the car based minivans i've driven in the past.

fc, if you are concerned about handling, you are welcome to take my WRX STi for a spin, ha.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They are somewhat close but the mid-sized trucks still lead by 3+mpg average if you use Fuelly as a gauge. Going from 18mpg to 21mpg adds up in the long run, especially if you save $4K on initial purchase.

With the new mid-size trucks capable of towing 7,600lbs smoothly I think less people will be swayed by the towing argument for larger trucks. I work with plenty of farmers/ranchers to know big trucks have a place but alot of people can't afford a $55,000 F-250 turbo diesel and the fuel savings are minimized by higher diesel fuel prices and maintenance. However, If you tow a lot then diesel rocks.
    The new EcoBoost F150 has the same EPA rating as the new Tacoma with with 50 more HP and 110 lb-ft extra torque all from a much smaller engine with a more useful bed. Payload is way more on the F150 too. A 30 mpg transit connect has more payload than the Toyota and handles like a car. I love Toyota, but they need to get off their butts.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    FC, I've been with Toyota and honestly aside from the advantage that Ram doesn't make something smaller like the Tacoma which would let me park better in certain places I can say, after being able to drive everything in our inventory and competitor's inventory, the Tacoma is decent, but the Ram's been a better investment and honestly is more powerful and gets better mileage than the Tacoma in the same situations. The complaints above are legit and are more so with the new 3.5 in some of our eyes being unproven and will likely be prone to future issues due to the injection system. If you want to take a look at a full size let me know, we have plenty of 1500-2500-3500 Quad and Crew Cab Rams around to play with. I'm happy with mine, quad cab, 4wd, 6'bed, hemi, antislip (posi) and it gets 15-16 around town and 21-23 on trips.

(Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch but honestly, even RonQ and Anthony are in Rams now, and we were Trail Teams people, loyal as it could get until recently.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One thing I can say for sure - the Toyota with untested engine will be on the road way after most Rams have been crushed. Toyota just needs to stop selling the good stuff to ISIS and bring them over here. Some of us want real trucks and can drive manuals.

mtbr member
    We have a 2015 Tacoma and a 05 4 Runner Sport V8. Love both vehicles, we've owned various Toyota's for the past 15 years. The Tacoma's are a little out dated compared to other trucks in it's class, yet they hold there value great, are dead reliable and have never let me down. They will continue to earn my business as they have been awesome for us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    I have a 07 four door long bed 4x4 with about 110k on it and have loved every minute of it. It is an awesome family road trip vehicle, yeah the mileage could be better but I bought it for loading up the wife and kids for long road trips. I've carried 7 bikes and 4 people to Whistler, it will handle snow ( if we ever get any ) like a champ, and you can use it to help move the kids off to college ( coming sooner then you think! ) someday.

Throw the bikes over the tailgate and you are ready to go.
    Attachment 1023603
    The backseat holds plenty of Pliny
    Attachment 1023605
    Pliny! Damn good stuff.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    One thing I can say for sure - the Toyota with untested engine will be on the road way after most Rams have been crushed. Toyota just needs to stop selling the good stuff to ISIS and bring them over here. Some of us want real trucks and can drive manuals.
    I can see that, it's why I built out my '95 4Runner. The thing is I and one other person on this board are former T-Ten Techs who've also seen things not so good, so to say. I'd love to be able to feel comfortable in a Tacoma but I can't, even though I've driven them tons. I even looked at a Tundra after a long term use and went with what I did for a reason.

At the end of the day, yes, it's a Toyota, but they've lost their luster, mechanically more-so.

Either way Mrs. Cebedo is going to get what she wants, and FC is willing to look at the Tacoma and likely will get one. It's fine. By the time it reaches 100k and the annual repair bill is at least $4000-5000 they'll unload it and buy something else, same as me.

Hell, I was recently having Tacoma Crew Cab 4wd envy, I even considered trading in on a new 4Runner, but I need the full size for now.

**FC, for the sake of argument, and given your family size, etc, tell me seriously why you won't consider a Honda Pilot?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    If it were my money I would get an FJ-100 series Land Cruiser with V-8. Only slightly worse mileage than the Taco. The Land Cruiser is tough as nails and very versatile. The FJ-80 and FJ-100 can carry 7 people and 7 bikes. It is an untamed beast in nice clothing.

I've had three Land Cruisers over the last 20 years; a 1988 FJ-62, 1997 FJ-80, and now a 2013 FJ-200. I'm not too wild about the new truck, it is just too soft and cushy in the suspension, too much unnecessary luxury overall, not enough toughness to justify the bad mileage and ridiculous price. It seems more like an overgrown Highlander on steroids than a tough truck, although it is great for long road trips (took 5 people to Whistler this year). The FJ-80 was awesome and the FJ-100 is about the same but with a stronger engine.

mtbr member
    The new EcoBoost F150 has the same EPA rating as the new Tacoma with with 50 more HP and 110 lb-ft extra torque all from a much smaller engine with a more useful bed. Payload is way more on the F150 too. A 30 mpg transit connect has more payload than the Toyota and handles like a car. I love Toyota, but they need to get off their butts.
    Love my 2015 F150. Super Crew cab with 356 hp EcoBoost engine. I haven't seen the 20ish mpg that it's rated for, but usually something in the 17 to 18 range. To be fair, it's a different size and price range than the Tacoma though. My wife doesn't like to drive it and there are some parking lots I don't bother with. But for bike trips with 4 guys, it's perfect.
    I hear ya. I'm also considering the F-150 but the fuelly.com averages are quite a bit lower for the F-150 and Silverado. The FS trucks also feel quite a bit bigger despite the Colorado appearing so large. I like the look of the Colorado and Taco much more than the Silverado and a little more than the F-150.

If I didn't need all off the off-road goodies I'd spring for the new diesel option but that would push the price to $40K or more. So I'll probably stick with the Trail Boss package since that is what most dealers will carry. I won't turn down a lightly used F-150 if the price is right though.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Right, which is why the Tacoma isn't on my list.

The average fuel savings plus the initial cost difference between a new Colorado vs. F-150 will buy me a new bike/frame every few years. Hahaha

you still get a useful bed too with either a 5.2' or 6.2' choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Amen, 2001 single cab 2.4/manual here, original owner with 230K+ miles, my commuter/utility vehicle. Orig clutch, water pump, etc. Only have replaced an idle and fuel/air sensor and wear items like brakes/shocks/tires, etc. Truck still looks great too, slapped on some S-Runner alloys just for fun. Wish they still made no-frills small trucks that got decent mileage (long live crank windows!). The 2016s looked interesting until I saw no manual trans available on any 2wd models.
    I've had 2 notes left on mine asking to sell, funny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    right to the above.

my tacoma is a bit small. me and a buddy..a 10 day deer hunt, and my truck is loaded to the gills. it's embarrasing how much crap we bring..

if i had the ability to poop cash, i would buy a 3/4 dodge diesel, put a topper shell on it and be done. when i move to the Santa Rosa area, i am gonna push my wife for a new truck..hell, we are moving for HER!! jk..i dont do guilt trips
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    It has a GoPro mount. Boom.

Also the JBL stereo goes boom. Acceleration is pretty awesome with the 40+ additional hp. The key here with the extra power is the engine doesn't have to work so hard and can stay in its efficient range. And with a 6-speed tranny good mileage figures are actually realistic on day to day.

The 6-speed manual tranny is available on the V6 as well. Here's the trims and pricing:

Configuration 2016 MSRP
    SR5 ACCESS CAB 4X2 4-CYL AUTO LB $25,385
    SR5 ACCESS CAB 4X2 V6 AUTO LB $26,995
    TRD SPORT 4X2 ACCESS CAB V6 AUTO LB $29,665
    SR5 DOUBLE CAB 4X2 V6 AUTO $27,985
    TRD SPORT DOUBLE CAB 4X2 V6 AUTO $30,765
    TRD OFF ROAD DOUBLE CAB 4X2 V6 AUTO $30,765
    SR* ACCESS CAB 4X2 4-CYL AUTO LB $23,300
    SR5 DOUBLE CAB 4X2 V6 AUTO LB $28,485
    TRD SPORT DOUBLE CAB 4X2 V6 AUTO LB $31,265
    LIMITED DOUBLE CAB 4X2 V6 AUTO $34,745
    SR5 DOUBLE CAB 4X2 4-CYL AUTO $26,275
    SR DOUBLE CAB 4X2 4-CYL. AUTO $24,130
    SR ACCESS CAB 4X4 4-CYL. M/T LB $24,825
    SR ACCESS CAB 4X4 4-CYL AUTO LB $26,375
    SR5 ACCESS CAB 4X4 4-CYL AUTO LB $28,460
    SR5 DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO $31,060
    TRD SPORT DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO $33,730
    TRD SPORT DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 M/T $32,100
    TRD OFF ROAD DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO $33,730
    TRD OFF ROAD DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 M/T $32,100
    TRD SPORT ACCESS CAB 4X4 V6 M/T LB $31,320
    SR5 ACCESS CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO $30,170
    TRD SPORT ACCESS CAB V6 AUTO LB $32,950
    TRD OFF ROAD ACCESS CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO LB $32,950
    TRD SPORT DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO LB $34,340
    TRD OFF ROAD DOUBLE CAB 4X4 AUTO LB $34,340
    SR5 DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO LB $31,560
    LIMITED DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO $37,820
    SR DOUBLE CAB 4X4 V6 AUTO $28,915
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    Love my 2015 F150. Super Crew cab with 356 hp EcoBoost engine. I haven't seen the 20ish mpg that it's rated for, but usually something in the 17 to 18 range.

Thanks for that real-world Ecoboost numbers.

Yep, in my experience EPA mileage figures for Ecoboost trucks are a crock-o-shit. Ecoboost really is Turbo Boost so turbocharged engines that are very efficient at under 1800 rpm. So you can get really good highway mileage figures if you feather the gas pedal and bribe the EPA tester.

I've tested about 4 Ecoboost trucks and they're all the same. The minute you touch that turbo (and it's really under 2000 rpm) mileage goes to hell. I had one twin turbo ecoboost truck that said 18mpg. I could get about 12mpg on average driving.

Great power though and good technology since it's like having two engines in one.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    **FC, for the sake of argument, and given your family size, etc, tell me seriously why you won't consider a Honda Pilot?
    Stay on topic man
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Yep, in my experience EPA mileage figures for Ecoboost trucks are a crock-o-shit. Ecoboost really is Turbo Boost so turbocharged engines that are very efficient at under 1800 rpm. So you can get really good highway mileage figures if you feather the gas pedal and bribe the EPA tester.

I've tested about 4 Ecoboost trucks and they're all the same. The minute you touch that turbo (and it's really under 2000 rpm) mileage goes to hell. I had one twin turbo ecoboost truck that said 18mpg. I could get about 12mpg on average driving.

Great power though and good technology since it's like having two engines in one.
    Did you test the new aluminum units?

fc
    Did you test the new aluminum units?
    No. How much lighter? Significant, right?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No. How much lighter? Significant, right?

fc
    The new truck is 700 pounds lighter than the old one and has a smaller engine then your Toyota.

fc
    The new truck is 700 pounds lighter than the old one and has a smaller engine then your Toyota.
    Either the new one is really light or that old one was a beast.

What's a good 4-door trim on that and how much?
    IPA will save America

Aye. Go into any significant amount of boost and fuel just dumps. Real world numbers are all over the place because driving styles differ so much.

2.7L
    Ford F-150 Mileage | Fuelly

3.5L
    Ford F-150 Mileage | Fuelly

mtbr member
    Yep, 17-18 in my aluminum truck. Super crew probably adds some weight I would imagine, even with the shorter bed. I still think that is pretty good for the amount of truck you get. Started with a lease in case the aluminum doesn't hold up and needs to be recycled in a few years, but I imagine it will be just fine and I will buy it coming off lease.

I ride my bike to work most days, so there is my carbon offset.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Caca pasa
    Car & Driver has a shootout in the Nov issue between the Tacoma TRD off-road double cab 4x4 and the Chevy Colorado.

On the Tacoma:

+ off-road ability, quantity feel, cargo handling made easy

- lousy driving position, low cornering limits, a hunt and peck transmission

= revised, updated and better, but it's still the same.
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Car & Driver has a shootout in the Nov issue between the Tacoma TRD off-road double cab 4x4 and the Chevy Colorado.

On the Tacoma:

+ off-road ability, quantity feel, cargo handling made easy

- lousy driving position, low cornering limits, a hunt and peck transmission

= revised, updated and better, but it's still the same.
    It's spot on so far. The transmission is indeed 'hunt and peck'. I'm like... "stay in gear, dumbo."

Chevy Colorado I hear is nice. But does one really want a vehicle named after the Broncos???
    IPA will save America

It's spot on so far. The transmission is indeed 'hunt and peck'. I'm like... "stay in gear, dumbo."

Chevy Colorado I hear is nice. But does one really want a vehicle named after the Broncos???
    I'm not a football fan so it works for me. There is always the GMC Canyon for the football fans. It has a beefier front grille which is usually appreciated by such testosterone driven folks.

I wonder how the new Honda Ridgeline will turn out. I hear they have a hybrid model in the works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The upcoming Nissan Frontier and Ford Ranger could offer some more choices when/if they hit. GM worries me a little more than others.

mtbr member
    Gen 1 Taco. Will get another Toyota when it's the right time. Very happy with the reliability of my 2002.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-rack1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    FYI.. cool article on the 'Atkinson' cycle engine the 2016 tacoma uses, compares it to traditional 'otto' cycle engines.
    How It Works: 2016 Toyota Tacoma's 'Atkinson' Cycle - PickupTrucks.com News

mtbr member
    Meh, that Atkinson stuff is kind of a gimmick. MPG isn't that much better and low end torque on 2016 Tacomas is pretty bad. I test drove one. Lots of pep at high RPM but nothing down low.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ^^Supposedly it changes from 'Atkinson' to 'Otto' cycle depending on load/fuel economy needs...not surprised on the narrower torque rpm range though.

mtbr member
    The Tacoma is probably one of the more modified by owner imports on and off the road today. There's a huge stream of suppliers and it seems the possibilities are endless.
    I had a 1st Gen, 2002 and put 180K on it before I sold and re-upped to a 2nd Gen. 2012 DCLB, TRD Sport Limited, JBL, Nav etc... Fully loaded. I added the Leer XQ Shell.
    Of course I put the 3" lift, wheels, 33" tires etc. All top quality suspension Icon and Total Chaos components. The truck rides and performs better than factory. The weak link in Tacoma's are the rear leaf springs and I hear that the '16 are still not improved. Obviously MPG's aren't a concern for me PM for details

Anything and everything you ever wanted to know about these trucks can be found here tacomaworld-dot-com
    Attachment 1023990
    Those are all 29ers!
    Attachment 1023991
    Flexing the new suspension!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-15611.jpg  

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-img_20141126_185958.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    ^^Supposedly it changes from 'Atkinson' to 'Otto' cycle depending on load/fuel economy needs...not surprised on the narrower torque rpm range though.
    Yeah part of that is the smaller displacement. Shoter stroke so less low end. Most people say it's plenty powerful at higher RPM's though. Still destroys my gen 1 in overall power though. High reving isn't always bad. These engines were designed to do that and be reliable.

Let's ride
    Did you already buy the 2016 Taco FC?

It certainly is the best built truck you can buy, but pricing is also highest and mpg, even on the 16 is just meh.

Bonus is the keep resale value so well.

I'm kinda surprised you bought a truck, and a 4x4 at that.

When i had my V6 2003 4Runner, i was so impressed with how well made and put together it is. To this day, that stands as the best built car i've ever been around.
    With it's crappy 4sp auto, i could limp it around for an average of 21mpg, never more, and hardly ever less.

+1 on why you didn't get the new 2016 Pilot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe he wants to actually go off road and the jacked up Accord wagon (I mean Pilot) couldn't hack it.

Let's ride
    Maybe he wants to actually go off road and the jacked up Accord wagon (I mean Pilot) couldn't hack it.
    Here's how Asians 4wheel. It's all about the color.

https://youtu.be/IlevIj8SoX4

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Stay on topic man
    OK, I get what this topic's about and why it's here now.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Did you already buy the 2016 Taco FC?

It certainly is the best built truck you can buy, but pricing is also highest and mpg, even on the 16 is just meh.

Bonus is the key resale so well.

I'm kinda surprised you bought a truck, and a 4x4 at that.

When i had my V6 2003 4Runner, i was so impressed with how well made and put together it is. To this day, that stands as the best built car i've ever been around.
    With it's crappy 4sp auto, i could limp it around for an average of 21mpg, never more, and hardly ever less.

+1 on why you didn't get the new 2016 Pilot.
    No, I didn't buy it. Just using one for a week.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a 2009 4 door TRD. Never an issue I will never buy anything else. And the new 2016 with Tacoma crawl is insane !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would be hesitant to buy the first year of the all-new engine. Toyota is not what it used to be. They built a reputation of reliability, but it has gone downhill to a degree in the past few years.

When the new Tundra came out with the 5.6, they had exploding camshafts and weak tailgates. And I don't know how they didn't get buried by the travesty of the 3.0 from the early 90s that had a huge failure rate on the heads warping and cracking. Oh, yeah. What about the rusting Tacoma frames? Lots of them. Somehow Toyota fans forget those issues and remember their 22RE that wouldn't die.

I like my Nissan, but I dread the possible transmission failure that has plagued many of them. My old Chevy trucks haven't been flawless, but they are easy and cheap to fix.

If I were to buy a brand new truck today, it would be a Chevy Silverado.

When I stopped by the hospital today I parked in the parking garage. As I walked away I turned to make sure I locked the doors and noticed I had parked my Volt right between a 2012? Tacoma and a 2015 GMC Canyon. I thought of this thread. Haha

FWIW, the Tacoma looked nicer....

Ariolimax columbianus
    When I stopped by the hospital today I parked in the parking garage. As I walked away I turned to make sure I locked the doors and noticed I had parked my Volt right between a 2012? Tacoma and a 2015 GMC Canyon. I thought of this thread. Haha

FWIW, the Tacoma looked nicer....
    that's the hard part....tacoma's are just way cooler looking. i'd really like to see some real folks opinions of the colorado vs. tacoma. which one to get? i've been debating for quite some time now, tacoma/colorado vs f150. maybe f150 just for the extra space and towing capabilities. maybe wait till the tacoma's out a few years to see if anything else changes.

Let's ride
    that's the hard part....tacoma's are just way cooler looking. i'd really like to see some real folks opinions of the colorado vs. tacoma. which one to get? i've been debating for quite some time now, tacoma/colorado vs f150. maybe f150 just for the extra space and towing capabilities. maybe wait till the tacoma's out a few years to see if anything else changes.
    You can get a used Taco for under $15k all day long. They're well proven and not a whole lot of maint.

Since it is almost year end, you might be able to get huge rebates on a 2015 of anything you want.

mtbr member
    I've had a fair amount of problems with my 07 Taco and I baby it.

Engine and transmission is reliable, but there are way too many other issues that plague it. Bothers me that the '16 Taco is so similar to the previous generation (hell my POS '98 Ford Explorer even had rear disc brakes).

This trucks a cash cow for Toyota, so why innovate.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    You can get a used Taco for under $15k all day long. They're well proven and not a whole lot of maint.

Since it is almost year end, you might be able to get huge rebates on a 2015 of anything you want.
    i've already gotta 1st gen '03 double cab v6 4x4. pretty bulletproof and doesn't see a ton of miles cause i ride to work a lot. the 2016 tacoma's the one everyone's oogling about because of the new redesign. i'll keep my '03 and try and turn it into some sort of off road toy.

my old lady's eventually gonna get a 4x4 sprinter, it's gonna be a toss up on which vehicle to take on extended vacations if i end up getting a full size pickup (f150?) w/a four wheel camper.

Let's ride
    i've already gotta 1st gen '03 double cab v6 4x4. pretty bulletproof and doesn't see a ton of miles cause i ride to work a lot. the 2016 tacoma's the one everyone's oogling about because of the new redesign. i'll keep my '03 and try and turn it into some sort of off road toy.

my old lady's eventually gonna get a 4x4 sprinter, it's gonna be a toss up on which vehicle to take on extended vacations if i end up getting a full size pickup (f150?) w/a four wheel camper.
    As a sprinter owner, i'd say if you get a 4x4 sprinter, the answer is already sealed as far as what vehicle you take for extended vacaycay. The 4x4 sprinter guys get 18-20mpg.

Paper or plastic?
    Sprinters manage the rare feat of being more expensive than pick up trucks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    Love my 2015 F150. Super Crew cab with 356 hp EcoBoost engine. I haven't seen the 20ish mpg that it's rated for, but usually something in the 17 to 18 range. To be fair, it's a different size and price range than the Tacoma though. My wife doesn't like to drive it and there are some parking lots I don't bother with. But for bike trips with 4 guys, it's perfect.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Your truck hauls pretty good.
    Why do you hate America?

Just kiddin. That's good insight actually.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

singletrack bound
    jumping in late in the game but I have a 2014 F-150 Ecoboost 3.5 and that sucker is a beast! Pulling a 27ft TT loaded 7300lbs up to Seattle and back no problem......

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a 2014 extended cab TRD and absolutely love it. I put new tires and a small leveling lift on it, and a bump guard on it. Will be upgrading more soon, with an exhaust and an afe cold air intake. In the bed it has two rocky mounts in the back. It's the perfect bike truck. This is before new tires and leveling kit.

This is after

May contain nuts

OT: 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck

I wonder at the the irony of driving these gas chewing dinosaurs to a trail in order to pedal a bicycle. Could only be bettered if the rider is also carrying a handgun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I carry my sidearm everywhere. But I don't drive a Taco I drive a Wrangler.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Had a wrangler, now have the taco. And I always carry a handgun in new riding spots or places I've spotted bear sign or anything similar.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

방랑외국인
    I think its hilarious that North American users put up with this from Toyota. You buy a small truck to gain efficiency, right? The rest of the world gets the better designed and proven Hilux with either the 2.4 or 2.8 diesel...I think the 2.4 gets up to 45mpg and 300ftlbs of tq, and the 2.8 is close to 40mpg with 350ftlbs of tq. Toyota recently said that creating a diesel Tacoma would be too costly...well you don't need to - you already have a proven model in the Hilux...scrap the Tacoma and bring it over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    I think its hilarious that North American users put up with this from Toyota. You buy a small truck to gain efficiency, right? The rest of the world gets the better designed and proven Hilux with either the 2.4 or 2.8 diesel...I think the 2.4 gets up to 45mpg and 300ftlbs of tq, and the 2.8 is close to 40mpg with 350ftlbs of tq. Toyota recently said that creating a diesel Tacoma would be too costly...well you don't need to - you already have a proven model in the Hilux...scrap the Tacoma and bring it over.
    Preaching to the choir.

I drove a Hilux in Thailand. I wanted one bad after that. Kinda goofy looking. But nothing a three inch lift and bumpers can't fix.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB reporting in. I've made the PVC bed rack for when I wanna do a long haul with the bikes but for short trips to the trailhead, just sling the front wheels over the tailgate. It's the simplest bike transportation method I can think of. Otherwise the truck is great.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Family owns all Toyotas including a Tundra and a few Tacomas. I wanted the 2016 but waited for real world mpg. I did not buy and none of my Toyota fanboy buddies did either. Not hauling anything it's about the same as my 2007 TRD 4 door SB auto: 17!

The Tundra with bigger tires/wheels gets a miserable 13 unloaded.

We try to buy them used. Resale is great. Reliability is great. I'm not in market for mid-size truck but I'd look at pre-2016 Tacoma for screaming price and warranty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm really looking at the new Canyon duramax, going to wait a few years to see how it works, may trade in the taco for one, hard telling until real world tests come out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I bought my Taco new in 06'. A 2006' Quad cab short bed TRD Sport 4x4 V6 auto. Other than less than stellar gas mileage at 17 mph average, it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. And I've had 3 Toyota trucks and 4-Runners prior. In 9 years of use and 124 K. miles it has only required 2 sets of tires, 2 batteries and one brake job. Kinda hard to complain about gas mileage when a vehicle does all that is asked of it and its that dependable.

A recent photo:

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-uploadfromtaptalk1457240761653.jpg picked up a new 2016 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road, nice truck, killer black interior with orange accents, JBL stereo and a touchscreen dash. Nice power and ride. Lots of hi-tech equip that will probably have to take a class to understand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Had mine since end of September. I do like it, wish the power was more easier instead of reving it so high. Mine is similar to yours a 16 TRD White Off Road, JBL, Sunroof. I love it.
    I have a tonneau cover, nfab steps and planning to put a roof rack on it soon as well.
    Trying to figure out if its ok to leave a bike on its side under the tonneau since I always drive my truck everywhere and it would not be safe to leave on a rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have a couple moving blankets in the back of my truck I leave there for various purposes and I frequently take the front wheel off and stash my bike under the tonneau cover on top of the blankets so I can leave it unattended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am hesitating jumping into a 3rd Gen (I've had three previous models) due to some of the issues that are well documented on Tacoma World. Mileage is not great, and there are lots of little problems that are showing up which will hopefully be fixed by '17. The other major issue is the lack of choices for a manual transmission- only two cab configurations/trim levels- double cab off-road and extended cab sport- are available.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zicked View Post
    I treated all my cars like trucks so decided to actually get a truck last year.

Taco 2015 DCSB. Has served me well for all of my extracurricular activities and road trips. Tailgate pad has made my rides just a little easier. If I get a bigger garage I'll get a tundra mostly for the added space for camping trips (I sleep in the bed of the truck with a PVC skeleton and canvas top).
    How does your little frame work? I've thought abiut building one of those. Everyone just looks at me crazy when I try and tell them I want to build a little PVC roof.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
    How does your little frame work? I've thought abiut building one of those. Everyone just looks at me crazy when I try and tell them I want to build a little PVC roof.

If you're asking how I like it, I use it every time I go camping and have only had to make some minor adjustments.

If you're specifically asking how it works (like how it attaches, gets put together etc) I'd have to dig up some pictures.

Sadly it will probably not get much more use as the Tundra is coming soon.
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

mtbr member
    If you're asking how I like it, I use it every time I go camping and have only had to make some minor adjustments.

If you're specifically asking how it works (like how it attaches, gets put together etc) I'd have to dig up some pictures.

Yup just curious how you like it.

mtbr member

I'd also like some more info/pics on the frame of you get a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Another design concept for you guys...

Complete with platform bed for some under storage. It all breaks down and fits in a duffle bag.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought a 3rd gen (2016) a few weeks ago. Coming from a '97 T100, before that an FZJ80 Land Cruiser and a couple of Toyota cars. Toyota may not be what it used to be but some of that is inherent with newer cars(not too many people complained about constant shifting with the 2-speed Toyoglide transmissions in 1968 Coronas) and the 2nd gen Taco certainly had issues, but we've had good luck with our Toys and I certainly don't expect an EcoBoost or 4 cylinder Duramax to be as troublefree, long-term. Anyway, that said I think the power train of the 3.5 V6 and 6 speed auto combo is just fine; I've already crossed several big mountain passes, driven off-pavement for 150 miles in Death Valley and droned along I-5 for hours. DCSB takes a little getting used to for bike hauling, after a bigger truck, but the overall package is very nice. Average MPG so far is not great, about 18, but that includes the offroad in DV and 2/3 of the miles I've put on it with a huge (borrowed) rooftop tent and battling the heavy winds over Easter. Without the RTT I'm getting consistently over 20 and 23-24 on the highway. This is all with a 4wd TRD OR. I suspect with an intelligent driver, the 6MT would give better mileage and be a lot more fun, but for offroad use I prefer one less pedal to play with. Two pedals on my bike, two on my motos, why three in a car since we only have two feet? JK, our other car is an MT ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I owned 1989, 1998 Tacoma 4x4s. Drove both over 250k. I sold the 1998 extra cab TRD, V-6 Automatic for $2k less than I paid new. I had a transmission problem on the 1998 that was covered 100% under warranty including a loaner until mine was fixed. Other than that, gas, oil changes and brakes.

Then I bought a 2008 Chevy Silverado....37 trips to the Dealer in 36 months. Lawsuit. Lemon Law. Yada Yada Yada. Has been a piece of crap since day 1. Cost to own has been nearly $17k over 8 years. Never better than 13.8mpg since new. New engine at 19k. 149k on the odometer and as we speak it is in the shop for the 3rd time since the Holidays.

I am looking at Tacoma Double Cabs. If they offered a diesel engine I would buy today.

My work van is a Ford Transit Ecoboost 2500. I average 17.8 with a ladder rack and 4 ladders on top in city driving. It has done nothing but impress over 34k miles. It has me also looking at Ford pick-ups.

T2E

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Regardless of which brand vehicle you buy, lemons are going to exist..even Toyotas and Honda's. I have a friend's who is a longtime mechanic at a Toyota dealer, he stays very busy and tells me that they have the same problems any other manufacturer has. He also drives a Silverado.
    I've always stayed with American brands and could not be happier. I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with over 250k miles which only needed a starter and water pump and a 1988 Jeep Wrangler with 220k miles which also only needed a starter and water pump.
    As you can see, I tend to hold onto vehicles longer than most. I'm currently in the market for a 2016 Silverado, but will keep the Wrangler and Avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Regardless of which brand vehicle you buy, lemons are going to exist..even Toyotas and Honda's. I have a friend's who is a longtime mechanic at a Toyota dealer, he stays very busy and tells me that they have the same problems any other manufacturer has. He also drives a Silverado.
    I've always stayed with American brands and could not be happier. I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with over 250k miles which only needed a starter and water pump and a 1988 Jeep Wrangler with 220k miles which also only needed a starter and water pump.
    As you can see, I tend to hold onto vehicles longer than most. I'm currently in the market for a 2016 Silverado, but will keep the Wrangler and Avalanche.
    Agree completely. Some models are more reliable than others but that designation doesn't span entire lines or even hold true for all model years. Go hang out on the Tacoma forums and see how the 2016 Taco is doing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I've been very pleased with my '16 Taco. I have had none of the handful of issues discussed on tacomaworld.com and now have 6k miles in 3mos of ownership. With my 1Up rack, it's been a great bike hauler.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just an update from my early April post. Just under 10K miles on my2016 TRD OffRoad 4wd double cab short bed automatic. Took a trip to Portland and criss-crossed the Cascades a few times, on mostly paved Forest roads, and average mpg is now up to 22+. I'm still getting used to a few things and continue to think that Entune is a poor substitute for Apple or Android apps and UI, but have had no problems at all. Whether you want to own, or even like, this truck is a very personal choice, but I don't think that the Tacoma World forum problems are anything but outliers. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

mtbr member
    I am laughing at all the fuel mileage complaints with the Tacomas. I have an F150 with the 3.5EB and I am lucky to see 14mpg. My brother and nephew both have 16 Tacoma Dbl Cab OR Tacomas and they both love them. My nephew had an 05 Tacoma before this one that the frame rusted out from under it and the dealer kept it for 5 months before being able to fix it. I am not sure why anyone would want another Toyota after that but they both like theirs. The avg 17-18 mpg and the nephews truck has a lift and 33" tires.

I have a Pipeline Rack in my F150 and it works well but I also have to either leave my tailgate down or set the bike in cockeyed. I don't even strap my bike into the rack since the rack holds the front wheel tight enough to keep it in the bed

Nephews tacoma

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-20160509_144925.jpg
    2016 TREK Domane 5.9
    2017 Trek Remedy 8

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=DIRTJUNKIE;12290433]I bought my Taco new in 06'. A 2006' Quad cab short bed TRD Sport 4x4 V6 auto. Other than less than stellar gas mileage at 17 mph average, it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. And I've had 3 Toyota trucks and 4

That looks like some very interesting country in the background. Where is that?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    I have an '05 double-cab TRD OR.

As noted earlier, the brake feel is rather crappy. I wonder if they addressed this with the new truck?

It does great offroad and I find it comfortable for long drives. Except for the loud Goodyear tires that I put on it that drown out the JBL sound system. What a mistake that was.

Oh, it's been very reliable too.

I once got myself into a rather scary offroad descent, really white knuckle, and was amazed that the descent control eased it down the ultra-steep slope.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Ariolimax columbianus
    Well I followed this thread from the start, I really wanted a 2016 Tacoma but ended up pickin up a boat. My old 2003 double cab V6 4x4 could handle the towing but stopping's another issue. Since it has a lil over 200k miles I just figured that it wasnít going to be my towing vehicle. Still love the smaller 1st gen for the size, reliability, and styling. I guess I could eventually modify the interior but I donít really mind the old school feeling. Mineís my dedicated kayak fishing vehicle now (beach shuttle and all kayak fishing gear in the bed) and sometimes work commuter. Since I last posted in this thread itís been lifted, tires/wheels, and gotta camper shell.

Was a lil weary about buying the 1st model year of the Tacoma, plus for the price of a new one, well I guess I just wasnít ready and decided I wanted a full size truck instead. Started looking at F150s and Tundras mainly, even the Dodge. Used prices for new full size vehicles are pretty outrageous, for the price of a new one I could buy a new 3rd gen Tacoma and pickup another 2nd gen Tacoma if I wanted to. Ended up picking up a new 2015 Titan Pro 4x for less than a new Tacoma. Not a lot of love for the Titan because of a lot of reasons, older tech, eats gas, I think most folks donít think interior is up to par w/the big truck brands. Also for the price, reliability, the last model year before the 3rd gen Titan which I like, weíre really diggin the Titan. Not a lot of an aftermarket because of the unpopularity, so Iím working to get some stuff (bumpers) custom fabricated.

Iíll wait a few years for the new Tacoma and see how well the new motor fares over time, look at the used market as well, and also look forward to other mid-size offerings. Sure my head turns when I see a new one, theyíre already all over here (as well as a ton of 1st, 2nd gens). Side note: I live in Monterey County, right next to Santa Cruz County and itía almost a bro prerequisite to have a Tacoma and a hoody. So trendy yes, but we all use our trucks to take rad trips w/our bikes, skis/boards, kayaks/sups, hella cargo, rttís, etc. Itís starts getting pretty difficult trying to fit all your stuff in/on your vehicle and managing space. I mean the Tacoma is pretty much kinda like Santa Cruz vs Ibis or vs whatever. Why wouldnít I buy a Frontier save money, get a lift, tires, and use the extra money for more bike swag, other gear, or customize the vehicle.

Iím a high school teacher and have about 2 months off as I write this. Planning on spending a few weeks on the road this summer riding, kayak fishing, dirt bike, camping etc. We really needed a vehicle that was going to be a tow vehicle and to use as our camping vehicle for a few more summers (or more). I may eventually getta pop up camper for the Titan, for now weíre settling on a roof top tent. Weíve tried to change out minds about the luxury of a new Sprinter, I just donít know if that would be the vehicle for us, and the 60k price is well, maybe in 8 years when Iím 50! I do love geek out on gear and setups thatís why Iíve been on this site for so long. Being able to get out to places where thereís less crowds and to take all your rad stuff is more than a hobby itís pretty much lifestyle. Except here in CA itís too crowded!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sure hope you are not an English teacher (hella?). Just kidding. I too have been looking at a Nissan, although a Frontier. There are really good deals on them, and most of the bugs have been worked out over it's production run. The problem is depreciation, which is only a problem if I would end up selling it in the near future, whereas a Tacoma has incredible resale value- guys on tacomaworld are selling used 2016's for $38K or more. I am leaning towards a 4 cyl, manual trans. 4x4 SR, which can be had for around $25K, and is by far the most proven drivetrain. Simple, reliable, decent MPG, enough power for a DD.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    ^^ Me, too. Don't know where you're at, but in Phoenix, that model is simply not available outside a factory order. I'm probably going with the Frontier. Super-solid truck and I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. Heading out in a few to test a Pro 4X and will probably buy it if the deal is right.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    I don't know what the price difference is, that may be a valid reason to go with the 4 banger, but mpg is not. I've seen reports that the difference between the 4 and the 6 is so minimal as to be negligible. And you're stuck driving an underpowered truck with worse resale value. True story...every time I look at used Taco listings and see one that looks like a good price it's because it's a 4 cylinder. Do not want.

And even if the difference is a few mpg, that's a small price to pay for damn near DOUBLE the horsepower, and a truck that can get out of it's own way.

I kind of like the look of the Nissans, but the thing with those is you are basically buying a brand new ten year old truck. Like the Xterra, Nissan has spent very little time or $$ updating them.
    '15 Charge Cooker Maxi 2
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride
    '11 Santa Cruz Driver 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Havent been on here in awhile due to job constraints but I just picked this up last friday. Ordered some stuff to make my own bike rack and should have it completed this weekend.2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-taco1.jpg
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    SuperSlow, damn, that's a good looking truck! Fantastic color!

I'd love to have one, but [email protected], these things are not cheap! I priced out one that I liked at 38k.
    '15 Charge Cooker Maxi 2
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride
    '11 Santa Cruz Driver 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It was $41k after TTL. But I plan on driving it into the ground so I was ok with an investment. Theres 3 year old trucks selling for what I paid for my new 16.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    UPDATE: Welp no mini van trade! WOOT!
    The engine ping has stopped a few tanks after the CPU flash service. SO I kept the truck. Its been good ever since, I still run mid grade fuel and get 17-19MPG. Added a shell and hitch rack....now im starting to enjoy it a bit more.

The only bad thing is the stock suspension, ther rear leaf packs are so weak! and the front is starting to feel cheap as well. Looking into upgrading both ends to about 3"'s of lift.

Other wise the truck has been great after the "flash" service.

2016 Toyota Tacoma truck-tacoma2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha43 View Post
    17mpg

Last edited by Buddha43; 07-25-2016 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have. 2014 reg cab and its wonderful!