2012 Focus as bike car- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    258

    2012 Focus as bike car

    Anybody have one of the new Focus hatchbacks yet? Considering one for my wife.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    322
    I work for a Ford dealership and know a decent amount about them. Do you want to know if a complete bike will fit in the hatch or just if it's a good all around car for bikes?

  3. #3
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,790
    I think it would be okay for a roof or hitch mount rack. Not a bad little car from the looks of it.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,738
    Those look sweet. So stoked that we finally got back to the euro roots of the car. I see no reason why it wouldn't haul a bike inside, or fit a rack uptop just fine.

    I sell Subarus but I am very very strongly considering buying an ST when they come out

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    17
    I have a 2000 focus zx3 hatchback and love it. I just recently put a yakima rack on the top which is way better than the trunk rack I have used the last 3 years. But I was also able to take the front wheel off and put my road bike and my mt bike in the back seat (not at the same time).
    When I retire this car I will not hesitate to get the newer model of it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thickfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,269
    Yes. My Niner RIP 9 29 fit with the front wheel off in my 2012 Focus hatch.

    I am now using the Thule 9003 Raceway rack. Most anything that fits a Mazda 3, 5 door will fit. These are the same global C platform.

    Bad luck on a hitch though as the muffler arrangement is very diff on the Mazda 3 vs. Focus.
    No one makes a hitch for the Focus yet.

    If you are in Tempe Arizona, Uhaul will custom make one for FREE if you loan your car for 2-5 days so they can use it as a prototype template. Dang as I am in Michigan. They quoted me 450 to ship one and find a Focus themselves to base the hitch off of. That's a little rich for my blood. Great deal for anyone in AZ.

    EDIT: I have to push the pass seat forward slightly to get things fitting nicely.
    CRAMBA Chairman

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog
    Yes. My Niner RIP 9 29 fit with the front wheel off in my 2012 Focus hatch.

    I am now using the Thule 9003 Raceway rack. Most anything that fits a Mazda 3, 5 door will fit. These are the same global C platform.

    Bad luck on a hitch though as the muffler arrangement is very diff on the Mazda 3 vs. Focus.
    No one makes a hitch for the Focus yet.

    If you are in Tempe Arizona, Uhaul will custom make one for FREE if you loan your car for 2-5 days so they can use it as a prototype template. Dang as I am in Michigan. They quoted me 450 to ship one and find a Focus themselves to base the hitch off of. That's a little rich for my blood. Great deal for anyone in AZ.

    EDIT: I have to push the pass seat forward slightly to get things fitting nicely.
    Thanks - that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. The hatch opening looks a little small in the pictures, but if a RIP9 will fit in there our road bikes and 26ers will too. Bummer about the hitch, since I greatly prefer hitch-mount over roof racks, but if there is money to be made someone will start selling a hitch for the car sometime. We will still have our other car with the Thule T2 hitch-mount too.

    Thanks to everyone for their input.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qdawgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    799
    I sold Ford's for 5 years and bought my wife a 2003 (new at the time) ZX5. Just last year we bought a trunk mount rack for when we carry 2 bikes. Previously I always put one bike inside the car. I don't remember now whether I had to take the front tire off or just did b/c it was easier but 1 bike will definitely fit inside the car. I know the new ones aren't smaller so if anything they are about the same as the 2003 or a little bit bigger.

    Just as a side note, we will probably buy a new one when we can. I have a '09 Impreza and my wife's car was nicer at 60K miles than my subaru was at 5k miles. The handling is awesome, the steering is spot on, and the fit and finish of the interior is far superior to the Impreza. The dash in my Impreza has made 3 different noises almost since I've owned the car.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8
    So how tall is the rear cargo area? And how flat do the rear seats fold down? I have a '02 Protege5 and my wife's road bike (49cm) fits vertically in the rear if I take the front wheel off. I can fit my road bike (54cm) in there if I take the seat post off. Can you fit a short road bike in there vertically w/o a front wheel? I haven't seen any good rear interior photos yet.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thickfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by triplep
    So how tall is the rear cargo area? And how flat do the rear seats fold down? I have a '02 Protege5 and my wife's road bike (49cm) fits vertically in the rear if I take the front wheel off. I can fit my road bike (54cm) in there if I take the seat post off. Can you fit a short road bike in there vertically w/o a front wheel? I haven't seen any good rear interior photos yet.
    Seats fold flat. 35inch high near hatch tapering to 31ish near back of front seats.
    CRAMBA Chairman

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    799
    05 focus zx5 here and i fit large giant anthem x layed down with the wheel off., i also made a cool little through axle holder so when i put my specialized pitch in there i have it standing up just like it would be on the roof in the back of the car. hatch area is pretty big i even put my klx110 in there without a problem. i have had the car since 05 and put over 100k on it without any problems. your making me want to go car shopping

  12. #12
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,751
    2002 zx3 owner and LOVE my car for a MTB hauler. I put it in the back were its safe and secure.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thickfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    05 focus zx5 here and i fit large giant anthem x layed down with the wheel off., i also made a cool little through axle holder so when i put my specialized pitch in there i have it standing up just like it would be on the roof in the back of the car. hatch area is pretty big i even put my klx110 in there without a problem. i have had the car since 05 and put over 100k on it without any problems. your making me want to go car shopping
    Go test the new 2012. I went to the showroom testing cars for the girlfriend. I ended up swapping them my 2010 F-150 for a new Focus. This thing drives with the interior silence of a lux car, and the feel of a nimble and sporty small car that it is. No suspension harshness either, but still decently firm. Seats are A+ comfort. Doors close with a Japanese car sounding thud.
    Been getting 29 mpg in suburban driving. Nothing above 33 on the highway, but I haven't been able to keep it under 85 (I also have the bike rack on always).Kinda car that you always speed in since it feels so smooth.
    This sure beats the 16-19 mpg of my truck. Just need to get used to the storage capacity/hauling difference now!
    CRAMBA Chairman

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8
    what about a roof rack for the hatchback?? i want one that i can throw my mtb on top without taking the wheel off... wasnt sure if thatd be possible

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,738
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible1654321
    what about a roof rack for the hatchback?? i want one that i can throw my mtb on top without taking the wheel off... wasnt sure if thatd be possible
    That's absolutely possible- I use a fork mount rack on the roof, but my friend has both the Thule 594XT Sidearm, and the 598 Criterium, and both work flawlessly, and there are tons of others from Thule, Yakima, and others.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    22
    Wheeldog, great choice in car.... As a Ford New Product Rep, I've been driving a 2012 sel Focus since January and it is a phenomenal vehicle. As for rack options, I decided to go with a Seasucker rack since I receive a new vehicle every 3-4 months and was in need of something flexible.




  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,150
    It's also the same platform as the Volvo C30. It's possible the draw-tite or hidden hitch will fit.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thickfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,269
    And hitches are now available! Bolt on, no cutting, grinding, etc. Hidden Hitch, Reese, Drawtite. Same company actually--Cequent manufacturing.
    Ups brought mine today!
    Last edited by thickfog; 06-21-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    CRAMBA Chairman

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    258
    Cool - thanks everyone for the input. We'll probably buy in the fall.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    I've had a 2012 focus sedan for almost 2 months and I'm absolutely in love with this thing. I hated to sell my Tacoma and miss it a ton, but this car has been a great replacement. I've not tried to get my bike in the trunk yet, but I'm going to try soon. Worst case I'll probably be buying a hitch mount rack soon.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

    I DON'T avoid rocks.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Duncan1104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,183
    I love the way the '12 Focus looks, but it bothers me that I can't get a true manual transmission and 4 wheel disc brakes. Not to mention alloy wheels with a manual at least as an option...

    Does anyone know if any of the models come with paddle shifters instead of the +/- button of the Titanium edition?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    I love the way the '12 Focus looks, but it bothers me that I can't get a true manual transmission and 4 wheel disc brakes. Not to mention alloy wheels with a manual at least as an option...

    Does anyone know if any of the models come with paddle shifters instead of the +/- button of the Titanium edition?
    you can get a manual and 4 wheel disc if you go with the sport package on the SE model. As for paddles, none that I've seen.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

    I DON'T avoid rocks.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thickfog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,269
    No paddles.
    CRAMBA Chairman

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Duncan1104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckshotJones View Post
    you can get a manual and 4 wheel disc if you go with the sport package on the SE model. As for paddles, none that I've seen.
    Oh duh. Just built my own and apparently I missed the "selectshift, if equipped w/ automatic trans." Thanks for making me recheck that!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.