2012 Chevy Cruze 1 1/4 hitch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2012 Chevy Cruze 1 1/4 hitch

I just bought a new 2012 Chevy Cruze LT. Unloaded the gas guzzler of a truck for fuel effiecient car. Has anyone put a hitch on a cruze? If so what kinda of ground clearance do you have with your bike rack on the hitch? I have a Kuat NV. So I will have to buy the 2" to 1 1/4 reducer to fit the new 1 1/4 hitch on the car. Pics would be awesome to see. Thanks
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Close, but...

...it's not a Cruz, but my Sonic is even smaller and closer to the ground if anything. Bought my hitch from etrailer.

I have two (actually 3) solutions for moving bikes around. We have a 1Up rack which is really nice, a Saris Thelma rack for three bikes (no photo), and I built the trailer rack for hauling all 4 of our bikes (started with a Triton XTV trailer). I was worried about it initially, but it tows the trailer easily.

BTW, I also ditched a truck in favor of my car. So far I'm super stoked on it--going from 15MPG to 36 MPG is really noticeable in the pocketbook. A lot more fun and comfortable to drive too.

I'd be concerned about putting a 2" to 1.25" adapter on the hitch since it'll extend the rack out another 12" or so. My experience doing that (different car) is that it makes the rack swing around even more.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    I bought the extension that will add maybe 6". I also will be modifiying the 1 1/4 receiver part so that I can thread a bolt in to it to help eliminate the bounce and sway. I will post pics of the modification.
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member

Somebody on here has a Cruze and already posted

Hmmmm. I'll search for the thread. The reason I remember is I have a Cruze, but no rack.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    Please excuss the photo quality. Camerea at work is well old. The first picture shows the hitch reducer through hole. The second picture shows the nut I will use to keep the reducer from wobbling. Third picture show the nut sitting just alittle under flush so I can weld the nut to the reducer. Fourth show the primer in the exposed metal so it wont rust inbetween the nut and reducer. Next shows the nut welded in place, and then the extra weld was ground down to create a smooth finish. Then not picture, I primered the entire reducer in preperation to paint it silver instead of black. New car is silver. Thought it would look better. Got the hitch today so when all install I will take some more photos of finished product and how everything fells stability wise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Chevy Cruze 1 1/4 hitch-img_0002.jpg  

2012 Chevy Cruze 1 1/4 hitch-img_0003.jpg  

2012 Chevy Cruze 1 1/4 hitch-img_0008.jpg  

2012 Chevy Cruze 1 1/4 hitch-img_0010.jpg  

2012 Chevy Cruze 1 1/4 hitch-img_0012.jpg  

2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Can we see some updated photos please. I am looking to do something similar. Great work. What did you drill the hole out with?
    -2008 Trek Fuel Ex 8

The Scounger

Members who have read this thread: 0