2011 WRX hatch rack love- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2011 WRX hatch rack love

apologize in advance if this thread sits somewhere already..... getting the hatchback ordered and not sure on hitch rack option. would like to get feedback and/or pics from those who've gone hitch style. Any clearance issues with installation or rack use? I'm strongly considering the 1UP. thanks

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 wrx hatch, with a 1 1/4" receiver hitch, and a Kuat NV rack. Love the rack, and their customer service has been great (needed a repair after someone backed into my rack).

Installing the hitch is tricky, so have a professional do it unless you have access to a lift and are *really* good with your hands.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kev1n
    I have a 2010 wrx hatch, with a 1 1/4" receiver hitch, and a Kuat NV rack. Love the rack, and their customer service has been great (needed a repair after someone backed into my rack).

Installing the hitch is tricky, so have a professional do it unless you have access to a lift and are *really* good with your hands.
    Hitch installation is easy if your fairly hands-on. I recommend Curt hitches since I've installed them on 3 of my cars. The 4Runner and the Sienna were completely bolt-on (sometimes you have to drop the exhaust down from the hanger), the installation on the TSX required a little bit of grinding of a hole in the frame to widen it. Other than that, make sure to use lock-tite on the threads and tighten it to spec.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    apologize in advance if this thread sits somewhere already..... getting the hatchback ordered and not sure on hitch rack option. would like to get feedback and/or pics from those who've gone hitch style. Any clearance issues with installation or rack use? I'm strongly considering the 1UP. thanks
    no wrx, but i have a 1up on a forester and it's sweet. had a pro install the hitch - 2" Curt. the 1up angles up a bit so clearance should be fine.

mtbr member
    that is good news. thanks all. I'll look into getting a Curt from the local hitch guys most of the bike guys go to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Curt will be announcing a hitch, hopefully soon (Mar 26)

I spoke with Mark at Curt a few weeks back and he said the hitch was fabricated and should go to production in 6 to 8 weeks. Which I am hoping puts us at early-to-mid April?

There was an issue where they hadn't realized the hatch was different than the sedan and that the 2011's had the dual exhaust. Fortunately there is a Subaru dealership near their facility that lets them use vehicles for mock-ups. Unfortunately most WRX's are sold before they get to the dealer ;-)
    contendo iratus - Race Angry!

Gittyup!
    Thanks idioteque - I recently picked up an '11 WRX and have been searching around for a hitch w/ no luck. If you end up getting one, let us know. I'd like to hear how it fits/looks. My only concern w/ the hitch rack on this rig would be the hot exhaust blowing straight out on the bike tires for an extended period of time. I'd like to see a picture w/ some bikes mounted to see how all that lines up. Thanks for the info and keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque
    I spoke with Mark at Curt a few weeks back and he said the hitch was fabricated and should go to production in 6 to 8 weeks. Which I am hoping puts us at early-to-mid April?

There was an issue where they hadn't realized the hatch was different than the sedan and that the 2011's had the dual exhaust. Fortunately there is a Subaru dealership near their facility that lets them use vehicles for mock-ups. Unfortunately most WRX's are sold before they get to the dealer ;-)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    Thanks idioteque - I recently picked up an '11 WRX and have been searching around for a hitch w/ no luck. If you end up getting one, let us know. I'd like to hear how it fits/looks. My only concern w/ the hitch rack on this rig would be the hot exhaust blowing straight out on the bike tires for an extended period of time. I'd like to see a picture w/ some bikes mounted to see how all that lines up. Thanks for the info and keep us posted!
    Most racks that I've seen are "above" the receiver and exhaust significantly. I have an older WRX, but my T2's design lifts it above significantly, to help with approach angles and the exhaust issue I'd assume.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kev1n

Nice. I'm deciding between this rack and the 1Up system. I also have a hatch WRX. Do you have any problems with clearance on inclines and the any part of the rack hitting? I heard there could be issues with the plastic tightening nob.

Is the rack pretty stable? Do you notice any flex or movement in the rear view mirror? I know it has an anti wobble mechanism / tightening wedge so curious on how well that work.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

Members who have read this thread: 0