2010 Wrangler Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

2010 Wrangler Help

Hey guys,
    I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. Right now I am using a Thule Spare Me rack and I HATE it.
    The bars are too far apart for my hardtails, the bars bounce around on the highway and I just plain don't like adding so much weight to the swing gate.

I have a 13 inch Homegrown(wife's bike) and 17 inch Homegrown. I do have a 2 inch reciever htich. I am looking to spend around 250 to 275 on a new hitch rack.

I like the looks of the Kuat Beta but I am not sure if the arms are close enough together for the 13 inch bike.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had the Thule roof rack on my hard top, check your PM

code: mtbr2011
    something to conisder when adding a hitch mount bike rack to the jeep wrangler, is that you need clearance to get past the spare tire, and without a swing away rack (pretty similar to your spare me), you're going to have very limited access to the back door.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've got a lifted wrangler with a full-size spare (35x12.50) and had to buy one of these extensions to make my Kuat Sherpa work...

http://www.heininger.biz/sportsrack_extension6000.php

mtbr member
    I have a Raxter Rack hitch-mount w/ a 33" tire on a swing-out tire carrier on my JK and both trays clear the tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have a 15" 2000 Homegrown. It works great with my Thule Expressway hitch rack, lots of room to spare.But it was a PIA getting into the back of the car. I also had it on a Yakama spare tire rack on both my 97 Wrangler and 95 Montero with no problems. As light as the bikes are you shouldn't have any bouncing problems with the spare tire rack unless you are doing some serious offroading. Way easier if you are in and out of the back alot too.
    GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Clearing the spare is my big concern. Most hitch racks tilt so I'm not too worried about access. The width of bars plus the weight on the tail gate hinges are my biggest worries right now. I'm running stock tires.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattcz
    Clearing the spare is my big concern. Most hitch racks tilt so I'm not too worried about access. The width of bars plus the weight on the tail gate hinges are my biggest worries right now. I'm running stock tires.
    any tilting bike rack is still not going to give you enough clearance to get the back door open more than 6 - 12 inches.

roof mounting is very do-able and looks really good on a hardtop....unless you plan on going topless in the summer

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not only do I run topless most of the year, I dont have a hardtop.
    Maybe a tray style rack is the way to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0