2010 GMC Terrain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010 GMC Terrain

ANybody hear much about this new 30 mpg freeway vehicle? I am looking for a bike transporting car and wonder if this one will be any good. I'm thinking honda element, but think this and the subaru Forester/outback look cooler.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    link?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Terrain looks are an...er..."acquired" taste I think. I'd personally go for the Equinox.
    whatever...

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    Terrain looks are an...er..."acquired" taste I think. .
    so are the looks of the element....which is why i love mine!!

mtbr member
    yes I very much like the look of this vehicle. The fender flares are nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I personally think its a great looking vehicle. I think it blows the Asian manufactures competition away. If you do look at the various vehicles, check out the ergonomics, the way the doors shut and the features and price. I think you will find out GMC/ Chevy/ Ford/ Chrysler make better vehicles and the fact alone that it supports our ecomony and domestic manufacturing is a great reason to consider buying American. I have always owned American cars/ trucks/ suv's and have never had any problems to speak of in over 1,000,000 miles of driving.

another day at the office
    CarReview will get a week a with the GMC Terrain the 1st week of December. Sorry, I can't provide any input today.

The Equinox ain't all that bad. It is a small crossover, so don't expect to fit too much inside. What we liked is the nimble handling characteristics, the comfy leather seats, and interior/exterior styling.

The Equinox looks good, but GM still needs to work on their ergonomics. Also, the 4-cylinder engine is tuned for fuel efficiency. Drivers should choose the V6 option if they crave power.

Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

mtbr member
    i'd go for the element instead, i dont know the price of the gmc, but the element is a pretty good buy for a car, you get lots of off-road-ability with it with the rubberized interior. with the honda, you get reliability, resale, and utility all in one vehicle. u can also check out the best selling cr-v while ur at the dealer also
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    yea but the element looks like a brick shithouse.

It's also 2WD. I don't know how a rubberized interior makes it off-road capable? I agree with the resale and reliability.

Apples to oranges.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    I personally think its a great looking vehicle. I think it blows the Asian manufactures competition away. If you do look at the various vehicles, check out the ergonomics, the way the doors shut and the features and price. I think you will find out GMC/ Chevy/ Ford/ Chrysler make better vehicles and the fact alone that it supports our ecomony and domestic manufacturing is a great reason to consider buying American. I have always owned American cars/ trucks/ suv's and have never had any problems to speak of in over 1,000,000 miles of driving.
    I don't think you can judge the reliability of a car based on how well the doors shut. I'm sure there's an engineer who's entire job is designing the doors, but typically solid doors are a little heavier. In today's world, gas mileage is everything, i'm sure the trend is leading towards sacrificing a solid shutting door for less weight in the vehicle. American and foreign.

If you've only owned American cars and trucks, how can you say they are better? You have nothing to compare it to other than here-say from friends you've had. Much of the reliability of vehicles are in the maintenance and how people treat the vehicles. I've owned both foreign and domestic cars, over a million miles. I can tell you there's a reason why american car don't hold their resale value better than foreign. They really don't hold up as well over the long run. American interiors have gotten better over the years, but that's mostly because they copy off of honda and toyota. Only recently has ford and chevy realized this, now their ergonomics are much better. Chrysler has a ways to go, but hopefully Fiat will help them in that department.

As far as engines go, i've never had any luck with Chevy or ford. I buy my cars new and am a stickler for maintenance. I've been very happy with Honda, toyota, and subaru. I typically don't start looking for a new car until they near 200k miles. By then, they aren't worth much so i sell them to a neice or nephew for really cheap.

Ford and chevy have gotten better these past couple years. Maybe i'll give them a chance to redeem themselves.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone grab one of these yet? The rear cargo area seems downright cavernous. The ride on these things is supposed to be wonderful, and so far many people are reporting that they're getting close to the EPA reported estimates. The base version seems to come very well equipped, at that.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    Anyone grab one of these yet? The rear cargo area seems downright cavernous. The ride on these things is supposed to be wonderful, and so far many people are reporting that they're getting close to the EPA reported estimates. The base version seems to come very well equipped, at that.
    I wouldn't describe the rear cargo area as cavernous, but it can fit a good amount of stuff for a compact SUV. We were able to stuff a couple of road bikes in the back, an extra set of wheels, cooler, luggage, shoes and other miscellaneous items. All that and seat 3 people comfortably for the trip.

I'll post a link to the pro-review in a couple of days. I need to do some final editing before publishing the review.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 GMC Terrain-gmc_terrain-800x600.jpg  

GMC Style

Recognizable GMC styling queues with the all--new 2010 Terrain. GM is thinking that compact SUVs are going to be a popular trend because the same unibody underpinnings are also used with the Chevy Equinox and Cadillac SRX.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bustamove
    I wouldn't describe the rear cargo area as cavernous, but it can fit a good amount of stuff for a compact SUV. We were able to stuff a couple of road bikes in the back, an extra set of wheels, cooler, luggage, shoes and other miscellaneous items. All that and seat 3 people comfortably for the trip.

I'll post a link to the pro-review in a couple of days. I need to do some final editing before publishing the review.
    Relatively cavernous, that is. Getting 3 road bikes in the back, with a seat still up, is no small feat. There don't seem to be all that many vehicles that can do that and get 30mpg+ on the highway.

If the USA was more diesel friendly, that would change a bit...but I'm definitely leaning towards this as the wife's next car.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    C&D just tested 8 "cute utes" and the Equinox came in 6th. I don't remember the whole list, but IIRC:

1) Rav4 V6 Limited
    2) VW Tiguan
    6) Equinox
    8) Ford Escape

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    "cute utes"
    funny.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

turtles make me hot
    I'm gettin' a Suburban.
    I like turtles

Blue Pig
    What beauties Chevy comes out with.

I Have Cookies
    looks like another disposable GM to me........
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

jrm
    mtbr member

That looks like a Toyota

All their SUVs look like someone elses...

ballbuster

Ugh

C&D just tested 8 "cute utes"....
    I cringe whenever they say that.

Just like 'Cali', 'Frisco' and 'fess up'.

mtbr member
    Another horendous GM design fail, maybe a hair better than the Aztec and Avalanche. Why did we bail them out, again?
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drexlerkm
    yea but the element looks like a brick shithouse.

It's also 2WD. I don't know how a rubberized interior makes it off-road capable? I agree with the resale and reliability.

Apples to oranges.
    They're also available in awd form and are quite capable utilitarian vehicle but to each their own. I personally like them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    another boring GM SUV. this is GM failing to predict the market. people aren't buying suv's anymore! the trend now is fuel efficient cars. There was this article that rated the equinox from C&D @ 18mpg combined. which is horrible for that suv. it shows that the EPA's numbers are just a reference given by GM from their own driving conditions and dont reflect real world usage.

is this what our tax dollars have went into? this? the traverse? equinox? i wish the gov't gave the poeple a choice to where to put the money into.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    meh GM, I'd rather buy from a company that doesn't have to beg for (and get) a multi-billion dollar bailout that all of the taxpayers are now paying for.

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda2
    meh GM, I'd rather buy from a company that doesn't have to beg for (and get) a multi-billion dollar bailout that all of the taxpayers are now paying for.

Irrelevant to this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Irrelevant to this thread.
    the money GM uses for R&D for their 2010 cars are from us, the taxpayers. which is relevant to the thread. They used it to design this piece of **** car which looks worse than the SSR (yet ANOTHER failure)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skyliner1004
    the money GM uses for R&D for their 2010 cars are from us, the taxpayers. which is relevant to the thread.
    +1
    Seeking a 90's or 00s 80mm 26" suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Car & Driver rates the 2010 Equinox @ 18mpg, proving their "EPA Ratings" are BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Car & Driver
    Most people in the Northern Hemisphere think of an equinox as being the first day of spring or fall, but Equinox is also, of course, the name of this small utility vehicle. We intentionally omit “sport” from that descriptor because this vehicle lacks the necessary athleticism to qualify—it could use some of the energy and fury of Equinox, the Norwegian thrash-metal band with which it shares its name. With the 182-hp, 2.4-liter inline-four motivating base models, it isn’t super slow, but drive prudently, and you’ll think so. We recorded a best 0-to-60-mph time of 8.7 seconds and a quarter-mile in 16.8 seconds at 84 mph. Those figures put it near the back of the mini-SUV pack, as does our observed fuel economy of 18 mpg.

Blue Pig
    They used it to design this piece of **** car which looks worse than the SSR (yet ANOTHER failure)

Now that is relevant to the topic because it's about the Terrain because you're stating you dislike the design and not about tax money. You're making progress.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Now that is relevant to the topic because it's about the Terrain because you're stating you dislike the design and not about tax money. You're making progress.
    its relevant because the OP tout's a GM vehicle's fuel efficiency. the link shows that the MPG specs are BS showing that the "32mpg" equinox only gets 18mpg in real world driving

mtbr member
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Car & Driver rates the 2010 Equinox @ 18mpg, proving their "EPA Ratings" are BS.
    In the test I mentioned earlier, they averaged 21mpg over a 1050 mile trip with a FWD V6 Terrain (I thought they tested the Equinox, but it was the Terrain, mechanically the same exact thing though). This was worse than the following (all of which were AWD and had the most powerful engine option sans the Tiguan, which was FWD):

CR-V: 24mpg
    Mariner: 22mpg
    Outlander GT: 22mpg
    Forester: 21mpg
    Rav4 Limited: 24mpg
    Tiguan: 24mpg

The only one it did better than was the Grand Vitara, which got 20mpg (keep in mind though, the Grand Vitara is true 4wd which a center diff that has both high and low and the Terrain, as I mentioned, was FWD).

Moral of the story: GM is full of crap when they say it's the most fuel efficient SUV on the road. Sure, maybe if you get the FWD I4, but who the hell wants that??

mtbr member

My Forester gets 26 mpg with 2 bikes on the roof.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    In the test I mentioned earlier, they averaged 21mpg over a 1050 mile trip with a FWD V6 Terrain (I thought they tested the Equinox, but it was the Terrain, mechanically the same exact thing though). This was worse than the following (all of which were AWD and had the most powerful engine option sans the Tiguan, which was FWD):

CR-V: 24mpg
    Mariner: 22mpg
    Outlander GT: 22mpg
    Rav4 Limited: 24mpg
    Tiguan: 24mpg

The only one it did better than was the Grand Vitara, which got 20mpg (keep in mind though, the Grand Vitara is true 4wd which a center diff that has both high and low and the Terrain, as I mentioned, was FWD).

Moral of the story: GM is full of crap when they say it's the most fuel efficient SUV on the road. Sure, maybe if you get the FWD I4, but who the hell wants that??
    QFT, GM is flat out LYING in their commercials. If you guys have the latest C&D magazine. they have an article about the EPA numbers in truth are just givens by the manufacturer. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...imates-feature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    My Forester gets 26 mpg with 2 bikes on the roof.
    What engine does yours have? They used the XT, which is the 224hp 2.5L. This mileage also included a lot of testing...track time, 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. That's going to bring the mileage down. Doesn't change the fact that all 8 CUV's in this comparison did the same driving though, and the Terrain tied for 2nd worst.

Never trust a fart
    C&D and Motortrend are like Mountain Bike Action. Poor reviews, biased and dislike anything that isn't a Toyota or a Honda. Always have been, always will be.

However, the way the EPA rates vehicles in mileage is definitely different than real world driving. Now the new EPA rating method is closer to real world numbers, but its still off from what it should be.

As an ex-auto mechanic for 13 years, I've had countless people say "My vehicle isn't getting the mileage thats on the window sticker". No ****. EPA rates their vehicles in a control environment and doesn't take into account the fact that on one hand you have a gas miser drving a car, takes them 15 hrs to get up to 50 mph, or on the other side of the table, the soccer mom that has 4 kids, running late for work, and needs to drop all the kids off at school and she launches the car from a stop light like she is John Force.

The way I've always figured it, and its been pretty close, is to take the 2 numbers on the window sticker, average them out, then deduct by 3-5 mpg. That will probably be close to your average MPG.

My truck is rated for 16 city/ 22 highway. I get 14 city - in the winter, probably get 15 during the warmer months, and I get 19 on the highway. But I also don't drive 55 mph on the highway, I normally travel with traffic, and its usually at least 70mph. So I never believe the EPA ratings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the new 2008 rating does account for spirited driving.

On my 2008 impreza, the window sticker says 27mpg highway, but i'm getting 29mpg on a long all highway trip setting the cruise at 70mph the whole time. That's 29mpg averaged at the pump after i fill up, the car mpg meter says 30-31mpg average.

I think the new rating system is good, people will always be unhappy if they don't meet the windows sticker rating, no one will complain about getting better than the window sticker, and if all cars are rated on the same system then it's fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    C&D and Motortrend are like Mountain Bike Action. Poor reviews, biased and dislike anything that isn't a Toyota or a Honda. Always have been, always will be.

However, the way the EPA rates vehicles in mileage is definitely different than real world driving. Now the new EPA rating method is closer to real world numbers, but its still off from what it should be.

As an ex-auto mechanic for 13 years, I've had countless people say "My vehicle isn't getting the mileage thats on the window sticker". No ****. EPA rates their vehicles in a control environment and doesn't take into account the fact that on one hand you have a gas miser drving a car, takes them 15 hrs to get up to 50 mph, or on the other side of the table, the soccer mom that has 4 kids, running late for work, and needs to drop all the kids off at school and she launches the car from a stop light like she is John Force.

The way I've always figured it, and its been pretty close, is to take the 2 numbers on the window sticker, average them out, then deduct by 3-5 mpg. That will probably be close to your average MPG.

My truck is rated for 16 city/ 22 highway. I get 14 city - in the winter, probably get 15 during the warmer months, and I get 19 on the highway. But I also don't drive 55 mph on the highway, I normally travel with traffic, and its usually at least 70mph. So I never believe the EPA ratings.
    lets not bring i your opinions of C&D/MT. i won't either, i use them as a reference. They do a lot of tests, and have not been dis-proven.

they've shown that the latest chevy equinox rating which is given by the manufacturer (GM) is complete BS and real world mileage is VERY FAR from their stated ratings, we have no reason to believe them in this occurrence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i laugh when people say if you buy american chevy/ford/dodge you're helping support the american economy, when in FACT chevy alone outsources the building of parts for their cars/trucks to 13 different countries including china, tiwan and many others. chevy sends american jobs over sea but they begged congress for a tax payer bailout then they give their bailout to their head ceo's, file bankrupsty and then sell themselves to the goverment the goverment spends BILLIONS more of OUR tax dollers to keep those scumbags afloat. yeah chevy the american revolution!!!!!! OBAMA CHEVY CAN KISS MY ASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! american made pffft

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    i laugh when people....bankrupsty....
    I laugh when people try to make an intellectual point, but are too ignorant to spell correctly.
    whatever...

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Roscoe, isn't there a tea party you should be going to?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I laugh when people try to make an intellectual point, but are too ignorant to spell correctly.
    at least his post has some substance to it, yours on the other hand is another one of your 580 useless posts. this is the internet. nobody spells correctly and uses proper grammar. dont cry now school teacher

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    at least his post has some substance to it, yours on the other hand is another one of your 580 useless posts. this is the internet. nobody spells correctly and uses proper grammar. dont cry now school teacher
    Thanks for your substantive contribution!!!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ahh i wasent trying to start a war but my uncle worked at one of the many GM plants that closed last year, and since GM filed for BK. he doesnt thinks he's gonna get any severence pay or his pension. basicly GM since their BK. sgouldnt be liable for paying out retirement or pension to lost workers. but the big ceo's still got their yearly big and i mean big bonus checks. my uncle also heard a rumer that the goverment is thinking about moving alot of assembly over to china. bottom line GM treats their workers like sh!t!!!

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    i laugh when people say if you buy american chevy/ford/dodge you're helping support the american economy, when in FACT chevy alone outsources the building of parts for their cars/trucks to 13 different countries including china, tiwan and many others. chevy sends american jobs over sea but they begged congress for a tax payer bailout then they give their bailout to their head ceo's, file bankrupsty and then sell themselves to the goverment the goverment spends BILLIONS more of OUR tax dollers to keep those scumbags afloat. yeah chevy the american revolution!!!!!! OBAMA CHEVY CAN KISS MY ASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! american made pffft:rolleyes:
    FYI>>>

Having learned at least one lesson, the CEOs drove to Washington for the second round of hearings and presentations. But it wasn't enough. Late on Dec. 11, the Senate blocked auto bailout legislation, leaving it up to President Bush to decide whether the government would step in.

After failing to convince Congress to rechannel money from a $25 billion industry retooling program to a bailout account, Bush went it alone. He reluctantly stepped in on Dec. 19 with $13.4 billion.

I'd be more pissed about the complete failure of our public schools. Ever hear of a run on sentence?

GM is following British Leylands destruction in the 1970's. I'm sure what comes next from them will be legendary bad. The government should have let them fail and then give the operations to Tesla. I'd like to see what Tesla could do on a grand scale.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your substantive contribution!!!
    read my posts above assfase
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Wow....this thread went way off topic.

For as long as I can remember I have been anti-GM due to their poor interiors and overall crap fit-and-finish. I had a chance to sit in a Terrain this past weekend (they had a few new GMs on display in Test Track at Epcot). I must say that the interior quality is right up there with the European manufacturers. Overall fit-and-finish of the entire vehicle is lightyears beyond what I have seen from GM in the past. If I were in the market I would give this thing a shot.

Glad to see GM is putting out a quality product these days. Given the issues with Toyota it looks like GM and Ford may have a good oportunity to convert some folks back over to the dark side and gain some market share.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    Wow....this thread went way off topic.

For as long as I can remember I have been anti-GM due to their poor interiors and overall crap fit-and-finish. I had a chance to sit in a Terrain this past weekend (they had a few new GMs on display in Test Track at Epcot). I must say that the interior quality is right up there with the European manufacturers. Overall fit-and-finish of the entire vehicle is lightyears beyond what I have seen from GM in the past. If I were in the market I would give this thing a shot.

Glad to see GM is putting out a quality product these days. Given the issues with Toyota it looks like GM and Ford may have a good oportunity to convert some folks back over to the dark side and gain some market share.
    initial impressions are nice, its when you've used and abused the thing when the real quality shows. GM's history with poor quality throughout their lineup can't just be trusted because something feels nice the first day it came out. i say give them 10 years to earn a name for "good quality." Why 10 years? thats how long Honda&Toyota took in the late 70's-80's of consistently building good cars till this day, which is how they have earned a reputation for high quality. Hyundai is currently doing well and have a few years of building good quality cars.
    RH SL Pro

Members who have read this thread: 0