2010 4-Runner Hitch Rack Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    GRAVITY IS GOOD

2010 4-Runner Hitch Rack Suggestions

I am looking for the best choice in hitch racks for my new 4-Runner. Will always be transporting a full-suss MB and a 20" BMX with the occasional hardtail MB for the wife thrown in for good measure. I anticipate that 80% of the time the rack will be loaded with 50 - 60 lbs and the other times with 3 bikes, 80 - 90 lbs. Would prefer a tube mount style rack with some sort of tilt mechanism to access the rear cargo space when the back window is rolled down. 2" hitch mount.

I have been doing some research but I haven't been able to find either recent reviews or any reviews at all for some of the racks. I have been mainly concentrating on options from KUAT, Thule, Softride and Yakima.

Are there any top choices that I am missing?

Who has experiance with the KUAT models...are they as sturdy as advertised?

I have seen really good Softride Access reviews but those were from '05 - '06. Are these outdated now?

Anyway, any and all info will help for sure as I am starting from scratch here. For what it's worth, I have never owned a rack of any sort before. I would always break my bikes down and slide them inside the 4 Runner, but I am looking for more convenient options now. Also, I am not looking for the cheapest options, but the best from a security standpoint.

Her is a picture of the rear of the 4-runner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 4-Runner Hitch Rack Suggestions-toyota-4runner-back-end.jpg  

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    All right, 1 whole day and nobody has suggestions for a hitch mount bike rack!?!?!? Surely I am not the only guy who has an SUV that likes to take his family cycling on the weekends?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There are 3 major manufacturers and numerous threads on this forum comparing and contrasting them.

YOUR suv doesn't determine anything. You can read the reviews and comparisons, decide what you think is most important for your application, go to your local rack outfitter and buy it.

Of course people have suggestions, but really...3 options, your choices aren't hard.

Simple, eh?

code: mtbr2011
    there's a ton of great options for your 4runner, especially, since you have the rear glass that moves independently....
    it sounded like you were looking at a hanging, mast style bike rack that hangs the bikes on the frame. this will definitely be easier on your budget, especially when it comes to hauling a 3rd bike.
    that said...while you can definitely enjoy the benefits of a swing away rack, your carrying needs tell me that it might be unnecessary most of the time, and again, with the movable glass on the 4runner, may be a little bit overkill.

If you follow my reasoning, it narrows the field to the yakima doubledown 4, thule roadway 4, thule ridgeline, helium 3, softride dura, kuat alpha.
    all of these are excellent racks. the helium and alpha are going to be 3 bike racks and lightweight aluminum construction, the others are 4 bike racks.
    i'll give you my take on all of these racks 1 by 1.
    the softride dura has a great tiltdown feature that allows you full access to the rear without removing bikes, but is a little bit heavier and clunkier imo.
    the thule roadway 4 is bread and butter, easy to use, and pretty solid. if you want an integrated locking mechanism, step up to the 954 ridgeline.
    the yakima doubledown 4 is also a great rack, especially when you use the 2411 deadlock system....solid and well made.
    we carry kuat, but have little experience with the alpha and beta racks ( 3 bike and 2 bike respectively)....the NV and sherpa are top shelf items and i would have no hesitation carrying any kuat product on my car with my bike.

i hope that helps...
    p.m. me if you want to discuss further or send me an email to [email protected]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have had the Kuat NV for a year now. Love it.

J

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I use the 1upUSA rack and love it. I just got a new car (traded a truck), and needed a good rack that holds the bike tight and is easy to load and unload. Check out the reviews on this site..

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...196_98crx.aspx

IMHO it is very nice high quality US made product. It may be a bit pricey if you need extra carriers for more bikes, but what isn't $$$ these days????
    My reason for buying this one is that there are no plastic parts on the rack to rot away in the (Florida) sun and all the aluminum parts are anodized. And did I mention it is US made??
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    Scott @ C & R;

Thanks for the direction, this is the kind of info that I was looking for. I started out looking only at racks that attach to the TT, but now am now sold on tray type racks that attach to the wheels only. That being said, it appears that the offerings from 1Up and KUAT look to be the best bets.

Beer whisperer
    I've been using a Thule T2 on my FJ Cruiser, and really like it. I normally only carry 2 bikes, but have the 2 bike extension to add on when needed. Super stable, and tilts down out of the way to access the rear door. Very well built, no regrets.
    www.noblealeworks.com

Pick a wheel size and be a dick about it

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HOFFMAN223
    Scott @ C & R;

Thanks for the direction, this is the kind of info that I was looking for. I started out looking only at racks that attach to the TT, but now am now sold on tray type racks that attach to the wheels only. That being said, it appears that the offerings from 1Up and KUAT look to be the best bets.
    tray style racks are great, but the downside to them would be that they stick out a great distance from the rear of the vehicle when you get into 3 and 4 bikes. most are made to carry 2 bikes, with a 2 bike add-on.

let me know if you have any questions about these....

is the signature underneath my username subtle enough?

jrm
    mtbr member

Sportworks - Thule T2

Had this thing for a long time. Great rack but kinda hard to get around when not being used. Oh on a 3rd gen T4R.

KS1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Saris Cycle On Pro is my choice. Had it about a year with no issues.
    10' Haro Mary SS 29
    09' Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29
    94' Cannondale Super V900 (R.I.P.)
    92' Nishiki Cascade (R.I.P.)

Big Hittin'
    Yakima Holdup

best hitch carrier out at the moment. (my opinion)
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the softride versa rack on my 4runner. Bought it after I got my full suspension mtb as it was hard to hang on my old softride access rack. Shock was in the way on the FS so that is something you may want to consider. The Versaa rack is okay, have had it since 08 and use it about 3 times a week. Think I would get a Thule T2 if I had it to do over.

Waingo...where is he??
    Saris T Rax Pro FTW...i love mine!

mtbr member
    1upusa
    Too many toys, not enough time.

mtbr member

Kuat Rack no-good for 4 Runner

I may be a little late to the party but here are my issues with Kuat Sherpa. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely beautiful but they had no solution for me. This was on my 2006 4Runner with OEM 2" receiver. The holes for the pin were slightly off (I had to pitch the rack left and punch the pin through). I was told the NV had 3/8 deeper insertion but that is still (IMO) not proper. They also said that some Subarus have this issue too. It is a beautiful product with some forward thinking going on but just not a good fit for my rig.

PS if your running a tire bigger than 2.25 the Sherpa is also not the rack for you, get the NV or something designed for AM bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 4-Runner Hitch Rack Suggestions-kuat-mount.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You've got to look at the North Shore Rack 4 bike model ("NSR-4").
    They can hold up to 4 bikes (also make a 6 bike rack), there's no contact between bikes, access to the rear of the vehicle with bikes on AND each bike space is designed to carry (up to) 50lb bikes. Made in Canada.
    They are everywhere here...
    http://www.northshoreracks.com

mtbr member
    Thanks NorthShoreGirl, Nice Plug for your Company It appears to be a nice simple application and well thought out. The company I work for www.mountaincycle.com (ya I plugged it too Just picked up a rack system so I'm good to go. Will NorthShoreRacks be at Sea Otter ? I would love to see them in person.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreGirl
    You've got to look at the North Shore Rack 4 bike model ("NSR-4").
    They can hold up to 4 bikes (also make a 6 bike rack), there's no contact between bikes, access to the rear of the vehicle with bikes on AND each bike space is designed to carry (up to) 50lb bikes. Made in Canada.
    They are everywhere here...
    http://www.northshoreracks.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA009
    Thanks NorthShoreGirl, Nice Plug for your Company It appears to be a nice simple application and well thought out. The company I work for www.mountaincycle.com (ya I plugged it too Just picked up a rack system so I'm good to go. Will NorthShoreRacks be at Sea Otter ? I would love to see them in person.
    Two plugs for two great companys. I dig it!

Really, about the NS racks - they are quite nice. I loaded my bike on one last week and was impressed with the simplicity and execution.

jrm
    mtbr member

Have the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by JRA009
    I may be a little late to the party but here are my issues with Kuat Sherpa. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely beautiful but they had no solution for me. This was on my 2006 4Runner with OEM 2" receiver. The holes for the pin were slightly off (I had to pitch the rack left and punch the pin through). I was told the NV had 3/8 deeper insertion but that is still (IMO) not proper. They also said that some Subarus have this issue too. It is a beautiful product with some forward thinking going on but just not a good fit for my rig.

PS if your running a tire bigger than 2.25 the Sherpa is also not the rack for you, get the NV or something designed for AM bikes.
    On the 2" hitch on my 00, 4runner. It can be a pain thats for sure but ive come to live with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0