2008 Saturn VUE?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2008 Saturn VUE?

In the next 4-5 months I plan on purchasing a small SUV type vehicle so I can transport my bikes inside instead on top of my wife's '07 Rabbit. I was dead set on a new Element EX but I just now realized that Saturn is offering their sorta-hybrid motor in the VUE. The price is decent ($24k) and the gas mileage is friggin great considering the size/utility of the vehicle.

Curious if anyone here drives a 2008 VUE (Hybrid or other model). In particular, can it fit two bikes secured upright with the front tires removed?

Also, does anyone know how the car buying experience works with Saturn? I'm under the impression they go with the "no haggle" sales approach. With Scion this pretty much means you pay sticker...nothing more, nothing less...no negotiations. Is it the same with Saturn? Can I get a new VUE at dealer invoice or lower? How is Saturn's resale now that they have pretty much changed 100% of their line up?

I'm a bit hesitant to buy domestic due to the poor resale (particularly considering the Element's resale is very high). I probably wouldn't keep the car more than 3-years. So should I just stick it out with an Element or risk losing my ass with the gas sipping VUE?

Appreciate any info you can throw my way.
    Signature

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Very little help here. Own a 2004 Redline VUE. Honda motor. Thing is a blast to drive.
    Seems like a nice little car, but it's the wife's so I dont use it for bikes..
    Car buying experience was slightly better than a 'regular' dealer. They had some decent rebates at the time, and through dumb luck I had mentioned my dealer to another in Chicago (looking for more offerings). "Oh dont buy there, we can give you 'vouchers'..."
    Turns out GM had $250 vouchers that dealers could toss around, up to 6. He offered me 6, which I leveraged out of my dealer....
    So there are oppurtunities to haggle. Try saturnfans.com and ask around.
    CDT

Aquaman

My 2 cents

Ok here is my take on buying a car. Dealers need to make a profit. Most sources say 3%-5% over invoice is fare. I say $500 is more like it, exspecially if you go in there knowing what you want. I looked online and there MSRP is $24170. Thats about 8% over invoice, and no they do not negotiate. IMO thats about $1000 to much. Go used or else where for a hybrid, like a Ford Escape

mtbr member
    The only Fords I am interested in are built before 1993. Ford Motor Company screwed my over on some serious issues I was having with the airbags in my 2007 Focus.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A1,

As an avid mountain biker and manager at a Saturn retailer in Vegas let me give you some advise.

- If you plan to keep a car for 3-4 years, you need to lease. I can explain in detail if you'd like.
    - The VUE hybrid is not currently available.
    - It would take 5+ years to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid vs. the XE 4 cyl. In your situation of only owning a vehicle for 3 years, a hybrid doesn't make fiscal sense.
    - Every Saturn retailer sets their own price. Most are "no hassle, no haggle", some are like traditional dealers.

If you'd like more info/advise, please feel free to shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].

Ride it or crash trying..
    Neal

Aquaman
    Well that sucks ford did you like that. Well NJ had some interesting ponts about the hybrid. If you decide to get the non hybrid and since you are in no hurry to buy (4-6 months you said). I would maybe try to keep on eyes out for a 2004-2006ish Vue, owned by one person, has had all (most) of the repair records, and then lowball them. Whats the worst they can say...No

mtbr member
    Good point on finding a used one. Let the original owner take the resale hit...not me.

njcoppola...leases really don't work for me. I drive an aweful lot (our current bike transport vehicle just rolled over 18k miles and it is about 12 months old). Between the extra cost of mileage and insurance, I'd actually be paying more than if I were to finance. In 3-4 years I really won't lose my ass on an Element...but the VUE may be an issue.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'd have to agree on the leasing for you, doesn't make sense. If you're comparing the Element and the VUE, here's what I would suggest:

Element- after 3 years and average miles will be worth about 50-52% of what you paid.

VUE- after 3 years and average miles will be worth about 49-51% of what you paid.

In my opinion, the small differences aren't going to be a huge factor. I would recommend shopping interest rates. I know we are offering 2.9% + $1,000 rebate on the VUE's. Obviously the interest rate will play a huge factor in how "upside down" you are when it comes time for a new vehicle.

Something else you might want to consider is getting a previous rental. Enterprise usually has VUE's with about 10-14k miles that you can pick up for a pretty good price.

I hope this helps!

Neal

Aquaman
    Yes..rentals places are a good place to look. I even believe that CR rates them fairly well. Let me tell you what I do. I will check Craigslist 2-3 times a day. When I find something I like and if it seems like its on the up and up (single owner with maint. records) I show up, with CASH and all the DVM paper work, and make em a low offer (lowball). Most people just really do not want to haggle or see a bunch of people. They think your doing them a favore. If they do not take your offer most people move rite to there sqeal price which is still ussually not bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0