2008 Honda Civic Sedan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2008 Honda Civic Sedan

I have a Yakima rack for the roof that I just can't seem to get the front towers to clamp on secure. I am going nuts trying to get this rack on. Has anyone else had problems with getting their roof rack attached? I have installed 3 other yakima roof racks on different vehicles in the past with no problems but this one seems to be the one that I pull my hair out on.

Any helpful hints would be GREATLY appreciated.

mtbr member
    1st. Are you using the correct Qclips? Q99 front Q131 rear

if you aren't using these I'm not giving you any more help!

mtbr member
    Yes, Q99 front and Q131 rear. The rear fits perfectly, it is just the front that doesn't seem to want to fit correctly. I have measured everything about 10 times and the measurements are correct....so I think.

mtbr member
    Make sure you put the front bar together on a flat surface, as you tigthen the second tower to the bar, push down on the bar with your other hand so it doesn't twist and to ensure the towers are level. Put the front towers on about 1/8" to 1/4" less than the suggested M1, (the M measurent for the towers is a max), make sure you use the vinyl stickers...these help the clips grip the paint. The problem with Yakima clips is they don't always grip very well, that's why the weight limits are sometimes less than a Thule rack on the same car, especially if the clips are bladed(flat with a 90 to 170 degree bend)

To get everything tighter, as you close the cam cover with your palms, pull on the tower with your fingers, this stops you putting too much pressure on the cam cover...they can bend easily and the round hole will not line up with the lock housing and can't be locked, If the cam covers are already bent you'll need to replace them, you won't see a visible bend...the plastic cam teeth on the inside just gets screwed up somehow, there's not really much to see.

When the front bar is on, pull on the clip with your fingertips, if it moves, tighten the screw another 1/4 turn each side. MAKE SURE EACH SIDE HAS THE SAME TENSION by checking the little marks above the brass part of the cam cover. IF the clips don't move you should be good to go, grab the bar end and tryn to shake the bar from front to back, if it doesn't move Bob's your uncle, if it does try another 1/4 turn each side.

If it still doesn't work, reduce M1 a tiny bit more and repeat.

if it still doesn't work take it to a rack shop and they'll have it on in 5 minutes if they are any good, as long as nothing is bent.

Members who have read this thread: 0