2007 wrangler hitch rack- Mtbr.com
    Rock Star!!!

2007 wrangler hitch rack

I am looking for a up right bike rack for my wrangler, like the yakima hookup 2 http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=29 something that can handle long trips and some off road driving. my problem is that I have a full size spare tire on the back of the jeep which extends 15" from the back of my rear bumper and it seems like all this racks will not clear my spare tire to fold away nor have enough room for the bike to stand up right. I don't want a spare tire rack ,they scratch the bikes and they don't handle the beach cruisers very well. my only option seems to have a welder extend the the main bar by a foot to make it work.I have already done this on my current rack a king pin 4 I'll post pictures later, but the thing scratched my EX8 so it has to go now.. http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=105
    What are you jeep wrangler owners doing out there for up right racks ,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by byron; 02-01-2008 at 07:10 AM.
    Collaborate,Ride

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I know there are extention pieces for the racks you are talking about. It'll probably stick out a bit further than you really want it to, but not a lot of other options. ive got an older Saris version of what you want but currently ive just got a stock spare tire on the back of my jeep and it fits fine. We did try it on a buddy's ruby with a 33/12.5 on a bumber mount spare tire rack and the rack did not go out far enough.

Adobo Lover
    Is that a standard tire for the new Jeeps? I guess jeep didn't think that through. On my stock 02 Sahara the kingpin 2 fit just fine. That would have been a deal breaker if I was in the market for those sweet new ones. I guess a costly way to do it is to buy a hookup(or the newer version) or thule version with the extender for two more bikes. Just don't use the tray closest to the tire. I think my next purchase for my jeeps(i also have an 04 Wrangler SE) is a rack(congo rack), getting a little tired of dropping the yak hookup to get to the only lockable space.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    yea, you can either get a cheap extender at a hitch shop, or weld in an extension (make sure you sleeve the inside to make it strong)

Shane

Rock Star!!!
    It's a shame the racks company don't customize products , and I don't like the idea of an extension for the rack , they move too much and rattle ,they always have play on them. And no the spare tire is not the factory tire, I purchase the tire because the original spare looked wimpy compare to the others . So welded it is...... and yes I do sleeve the inside for strength I had it done to my KingPin 4 and it works fine, which by the way is for sale.....
    Thanks y'all ,I'll post pictures when I'm done. Ride On ...Byron
    Collaborate,Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was thinking about trying this one:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/162...Mount-Rack.htm

Rock Star!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pucstopr30
    I was thinking about trying this one:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/162...Mount-Rack.htm

read the reviews before buying, how much did you spend on your bike??
    Collaborate,Ride

mtbr member
    yea, i would just get the T2 and extend it. very very good rack for the money.

Shane

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    that bad huh? should have known for the price. The Hollywood rack,( not the 1.25") could be another option. I have a 02 wrangler with a 33" spare and with my sportworks rack I had to relocate the spare carrier, basically had to lift it to clear the angled piece that fits into the hitch.

Byron, did you have to use a spacer to mount your spare?
    Last edited by pucstopr30; 02-05-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Rock Star!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pucstopr30

Byron, did you have to use a spacer to mount your spare?

No , the 07 comes with a build in extension for the oversize tires, and regarding the rack , I am a true believer that you get what you pay for ...and knowing how much bikes are I just wont risk it. ride on ...Byron
    Collaborate,Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    with a wrangler, the hitch mounts are NOT the way to go

What works best is an over the spare tire carrier. The way to make this work is longer bolts if need for oversized tires. If you are using an oversized spare you should already have reinforced the rubber bumpers that hold the tire in place. This reinforcement makes the spare very sturdy and a perfect place to mount a bike carrier. This combined with longer bolts and your bike rack is stationary to the spare, so when you open the door, the rack and bikes moves with the door. Just remember to keep the hinges lubed and you will be fine. Ideally you will have reinforced the rubber spare bumpers to the point where the tire is very snug fitting and does not rattle or bounce around at ALL.

on the other side
    I beg to differ about the spare tire rack.
    When I was married, my ex-husband and I had a spare tire rack from hidden hitch. It worked fine for instate travel, however we did a drive from North Carolina to southern Illinois (with two DBs on the back). Upon arrival, I couldn't help but think something looked wrong with the back of his Jeep ('93 Wranger). When we took the bikes and the rack off, something still looked funny. It wasn't until we opened the tail gate that we saw the weight of the two bikes in combination of the rough patches of interstate we drove cause the tailgate to bend!! In the end, the ex ended up replacing his tailgate. He did take pictures for insurance purposes, however him and I are not always on good speaking terms if ya know what I mean. Other wise I'd ask him for copies of those pictures to post in here.

Now I have an '07 Rubicon; and anyone who knows about Jeeps knows the Rubicon comes with agressive tires to include the spare. So I need a hitch rack that clears the tire. This past summer I picked up a Hollywood "Road Runner" hitch rack (4 bike carrier). I've made two, 2500 mile road trips with it and had no problems.

main page for Hollywood racks: http://hollywoodracks.com/hitchRacks.html

I only have 1 pic of me loading 1 bike on the back... but if you are willing to wait about two weeks, I'll be loading the bikes back onto the Jeep and headin cross country again.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The tailgate damage will occur without reinforcing the mount so that the tire does not jiggle. the jiggling around is what bends the gate. I have an 06 rubicon unlimited with 35 inch tires including spare. I had to mod the mount extensively to accomodate the larger and heavier tire. Once things are reinforced you won't bend the gate like that. Think about a large amount of weight wiggling around a lot and you can see how this damage occurs. You can also reinforce the tailgate itself by tack welding strips of steel banding inside the gate to reinforce it, also replace the hinge bolts with grade 8 hardware goes a long way to stiffen things up. You can also get a swing away tire carrier mounted to the bumper and mount a tire mounted carrier onto that, as the weight will be born by the bumper instead of the tailgate. The hitch carriers are ok around town, but what about towing something while you want to take the bikes as well? See the dilemma in that situation?

See the little rubber bumper in the pictures above, there is at least a 2 inch gap between that bumper and the edge of the tire, that should be touching the tire firmly when tightened down. This spreads the weight load between the tire mount and the 3 rubber posts. This interface is critical to keeping the entire tire assembly firm and tight. This spreads the load across 4 points, being the main tire mount and the 3 rubber bumpers. Without tight rubber bumpers your carrying the entire load on the tire mount instead, which will quickly bend the gate even without a bike carrier on it.

on the other side
    Quote Originally Posted by pcguy
    The hitch carriers are ok around town, but what about towing something while you want to take the bikes as well? See the dilemma in that situation?
    Hollywood racks have a hitch rack that is also ment for being able to tow a camper, boat, etc. I haven't looked into it because I have nothing to tow, but if you are curious about it... the link I supplied as the main page, down in the lower right corner has the rack.

As for what you said about the spare tire rack, makes sense why the ex's tailgate bent and it's good info to have for future reference. Thanks.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

Rock Star!!!
    Guys the bike rack I want is tray style or up right , like the one Eirene is talking about, I already have a rack that is scratching my bikes all the time...I want some thing better
    Collaborate,Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    something like this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pcguy
    something like this?

i built the one in the pic. it holds 3 26" bikes. super strong and lighter than most i see online for sale. and cost about half as much to make.

will...

Members who have read this thread: 0