2005 Ford Sport Trac- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

2005 Ford Sport Trac

I am getting back into the sport of mtn biking, and after doing a search of this forum, no one else seems to have one of these. I am buying new bikes for christmas for my wife and I and I need the best possible configurations for transporting two bikes and gear. I have roof racks that are stock on the truck, which I am not a fan of, and the bed is too short to load bikes unless I leave the tailgate down. Short of buying a new truck (out of the question) what would yall do.

JD
    GO BIG OR...
    GO HOME!
    unless you're 40

banned

if your driving anything made by ford

then a rack that will fit it is going to be the least of your worries. seriously though, you need some way of always having an alternative means of travel to get you home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    then a rack that will fit it is going to be the least of your worries. seriously though, you need some way of always having an alternative means of travel to get you home.
    In 10 years of driving various Ford products, I have had 1 major problem that needed fixing. That's a pretty good record.
    I guess if I'm not driving a Toyota or Honda, I cant get a serious answer to a question.
    "What's wrong with Detroit Cars?"
    Bully outside of club to Dalton in "Roadhouse"
    JD
    Last edited by popnfresh; 10-15-2006 at 04:06 PM.
    GO BIG OR...
    GO HOME!
    unless you're 40

mtbr member
    Check out the Ford Accessories website. They have a few pics of various racks on a Sport Trac:

http://www.fordaccessories.com/catal...ks.aspx?Page=0

mtbr member
    Surely you have a tow hitch, get a rack that mounts to it... remove it when not in use.

Track Junkie
    On my Explorer, I use a Saris 2" hitch mount Cycle On. It holds two bikes, and I also have the addition to carry 2 more bikes. You can use the bed of the truck for your cycling gear.

-B
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member

Idea!

I have a 2003 Sport Trac and am considering http://www.fordaccessories.com/produ...CrossBars.aspx
    My plan is to use fork mounts on the rear crossbar and allow the rear tires to rest on the factory hard bed cover (tied down of course). My bikes are 2007 SJ and 1985 SJ. We'll see how it works. Please post what you came up with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    On my 01 dodge dakota quad cab i use thule aero bars with 2 thule sidearms. I use the up and up method to load the bikes. up onto the bed then up onto the roof. it takes a little getting used to but once you get a method down its really easy.. when it stops raining ill post some pics for ya

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroshots
    I have a 2003 Sport Trac and am considering http://www.fordaccessories.com/produ...CrossBars.aspx
    My plan is to use fork mounts on the rear crossbar and allow the rear tires to rest on the factory hard bed cover (tied down of course). My bikes are 2007 SJ and 1985 SJ. We'll see how it works. Please post what you came up with.
    Sorry, Im a little mistrusting of anything that rides over head on my vehicles. If it cant ride in the bed tied down, then it doesnt go with. I am probably going with an 'in-the-bed' system of transporting.
    GO BIG OR...
    GO HOME!
    unless you're 40

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have an explorer sport. I use a Swagman Cross Country 'XC' 2 Bike rack. I went through several different racks before settling on this - i can fit any type of bike on it with no problems so far have had no problems - and the price was right -- only 159 bucks (Canadian $$)

Members who have read this thread: 0