2003 Mazda Protege5 with Rocky Mount Tie Rods- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

2003 Mazda Protege5 with Rocky Mount Tie Rods

Completed a search....and didn't find much info related to my title line.

So here goes. I have a 2003 Mazda Protege5 with factory cross bars. I was recently in Boulder and purchased (1) Rocky Mount Tie Rod. I mounted the Tie Rod last night so that the bike's handle bars will face forward when the bike is mounted with out the front wheel....ie.. the front fork is mounted into the tray. The problem with this is that the tray is so long that it interferes with the opening of the trunk hatch. The directions for the Tie Rod states that if opening the hatch is a problem then the owner can choose to mount the the Tie Rod to the car in reverse of what I have described above. Essentially the rear wheel will sit over the driver instead of the forks. So the questions are:

1. Are there others on this board who have experienced this problem and did you elect to reverse the mounting of the Tie Rod?

2. If you did not reverse the mounting of the Tie Rod, how else did you solve the hatch opening problem?

3. If you chose to mount the Tie Rod in reverse, how did the bikes travel?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Not sure how well my answer will help but I will try.

I have a 2005 mazda 3 hatch with yakima rack and the rocky mount tie rods (3). When I do travel with 3 bikes I have to put the middle bike backwards, the front of bike facing the rear. it traveled no different than if it was facing forward, maybe just a tad more wind noise. But the stability of the bike was the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post
    Not sure how well my answer will help but I will try.

I have a 2005 mazda 3 hatch with yakima rack and the rocky mount tie rods (3). When I do travel with 3 bikes I have to put the middle bike backwards, the front of bike facing the rear. it traveled no different than if it was facing forward, maybe just a tad more wind noise. But the stability of the bike was the same.
    Thanks. That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. After further thought, I have decided that I would rather mount both of my bikes in the rearward position. Mounting this way will force me to never be able to use my sun roof. But that is a better than losing the full function of the trunk hatch.

Thank you again for your response!