2000 VW jetta 2.0 for bike carrier??????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

2000 VW jetta 2.0 for bike carrier??????

So I'm thinking about getting a 2000 VW Jetta for a new to me car. The thing I'm worried about is all i hear about these cars is if it has the 2.0 motor its slow as hell. So my question for those of you people that have one of these cars can it carry two DH rigs on the roof and not have to totally drive in the slow lane? Also how reliable are these motors and the cars in general. Thanks in advance,
    Mike G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have had my 03 Jetta 2.Slow for three years now, and it has been very reliable. I have also had 3 DH rigs on the roof, and still been able to keep up on the highway. Don't expect to always be able to pass someone on a single lane road, but on the highway it will do just fiine. My buddy with a TDI however has had three bikes on the roof of his Golf, and Two on a hitch mount, and still been able to haul on the highway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks dude. How reliable is this car in general I'm getting it with 150k miles??? I'm coming from the Honda side so i don't know anything about the VW's.
    Mike G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    At 150K you will probably have to do the timing belt if it has not been done already. At that mileage all the bushings will start to wear out, so something to watch out for. That will happen with any car with that mileage, not just VW. Check out the VWVortex forums, a wealth of information, one of the largest forums on the net, all about VW's!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have an 01 Golf with the 1.8, so I can't speak for the 2.Slow part. I got the car in less than great shape 3 years ago, and once I got everything sorted out it's been very reliable with 165k on it.
    It's pretty easy to work on, better still if the 2.0 doesn't have the 37 miles of vacuum tubes and other crap under the hood.
    +1 for vwvortex

ballbuster
    2000 is a good car. There are a few well known rubs about it, but no biggie. Mostly things like the seat heaters failing if you stand or kneel on the seats too much, the clips that hold the glass in the window were made from a brittle plastic that breaks after a few years, dumping the window down in the door, sunroof switch develops a mind of it's own due to a bad connection (which is an easy DIY fix). Little annoying things, but are generally easy fixes.

The 2.slow engine is not that slow. It's got tons of low end torque. I had a 96 GTi with the same engine (but pulling 200 pounds less car than a MK4 Jetta down the road) and it wasn't going to win any drag races, but wasn't bad. It's rated at 115HP, but feels like a lot more. It actually pulls pretty hard all the way down to 2000 RPMs.

The nice thing about the Jetta is you can fit a bike in the trunk with both wheels off and the seatpost down. Try that in a Civic!

Plus, there are TONS of MK4 Jettas out there. Finding a good used roof rack, or trailer hitch should be pretty easy.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not sure if it's an option for you but try to get a TDI. Tons of torque.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I recently got an 01 vr6 Jetta... I have to say it was one of the best purchases ever!
    She has 15x,xxx miles now, which means we put over 20k on her in the last 8 months. Been very trouble free, great milage, great power.

I would definitely go for the vr6 if you can... But I hear the 2.slow isnt terrible either

banned
    Sep 2007
    I have a 2002 jetta GLS TDI, with 149k miles on it, 5 speed manual, 11mm injector pump, leather, heated mirrors, heated seats. All new Koni Reds, complete front and rear suspension rebuild in the past 2000 miles or less, complete service records, needs nothing, maybe a timing belt job and water pump with all the correct parts at 200k miles.

Has a 1 1/4" Curt receiver hitch receiver on the back. 52 mpg empty, maybe 2 or 3 mpg less when I trailer to Moab with a WFO on the back. Located in So Cal. It's probably going up for sale soon, since I bought a Passat TDI SE. Already ordered a receiver hitch for the passat. Needs nothing, well maintained, outstanding mechanically, always Mobil 1 TDT 5w -40 every 10k miles. Make an offer in a private message, after doing some comparatives, all I can say is no or yes.

mtbr member
    I regularly haul 1-2 bikes around on the top of my 100hp 8v 1.8l equipped 1989 Jetta. Not fast by any means but it isn't terribly slow either.

That 2.0 is a great motor. It has been covered before but timing belt/tensioner and water pump should be done on it along with the typical stuff (belts, filters, fluid changes, etc)
    Signature

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    I regularly haul 1-2 bikes around on the top of my 100hp 8v 1.8l equipped 1989 Jetta. Not fast by any means but it isn't terribly slow either.

That 2.0 is a great motor. It has been covered before but timing belt/tensioner and water pump should be done on it along with the typical stuff (belts, filters, fluid changes, etc)
    The nice thing about the 2.slow engine... it's a non-interference engine. If you blow the timing belt, the engine dies and you need a tow, but a couple hundred bucks for parts and labor in the shop, and you're back on the road. I blew mine once in my 96 GTi.

Don't let the 1.8t blow the t-belt, tho... that is a very expensive engine to rebuild with those 20 valves.

Members who have read this thread: 0