2 car seats and a mt bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

2 car seats and a mt bike

Looking for a new car that can fit two car seats and a bike inside. Don't mind taking off the wheels but want to have the bike inside. Any suggestions, I've been looking mostly at sportwagons and compact SUV's.

ballbuster
    Jetta Sportwagon... heck even Jetta Sedan might fit. That thing has a pretty huge trunk. I had a MK2 (1985-1992) and MK3 (1993-1998) Jettas, and I could get my bike in the trunk with both wheels off. The newer ones are even bigger.

Seems to me there are a bunch of sedans out there... like a step bigger than the Honda Civics that would fit the bill.

I currently drive a B6 generation Audi A4 (2002-2005.5), and my bike won't fit in the trunk unless I take the bars off the fork and with wheels off. I have H-Bars on my bikes, which doesn't help I'm sure. That is, with the rear seat in place which is what I assume you want to do with two kid rocket chairs in the back seat.

There's always a hitch rack. I put a hitch rack on my A4, and usually keep the rack folded up in the trunk with my bike gear. I just roll my bike out, slap the rack on the back, rack up and go for a ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I can't imagine any wagon will work, aside from a full-on Wagon Queen Family Truckster. I have a '05 Subaru Outback and it is hard enough getting the kids seats in the thing and the bikes ride on a hitch rack. I've been jonesing for something new and wishing for an Imprezza or STI wagon, but that'll just be worse than the Outback for room.

I've been looking off and on for a used Sprinter with the extra-extra-high roof, but I've read too many stories of transmission woes to take the plunge.

ballbuster

True...

Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    I can't imagine any wagon will work, aside from a full-on Wagon Queen Family Truckster. I have a '05 Subaru Outback and it is hard enough getting the kids seats in the thing and the bikes ride on a hitch rack. I've been jonesing for something new and wishing for an Imprezza or STI wagon, but that'll just be worse than the Outback for room.

I've been looking off and on for a used Sprinter with the extra-extra-high roof, but I've read too many stories of transmission woes to take the plunge.
    My wife has a 1999 A4 Avant (B5 generation). There was just not enough surface area behind the back seat to lay a bike down in there wheels off. Maybe if I stood it upright.

The back of that car is surprisingly small.

It's a blast to drive, tho. Her car is basically what motivated me to get my car. AWD roolz, even on dry pavement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    3rd Generation outback (2005-2009) and sportwagen have been on th top of my list. I was hoping that I could take both wheels off and get my bike in the cargo area.

Anothe Brian. How is the back seat on your outback, they feel small, but my kids are small now, I am wondering when they get alittle bigger how its going to work

mtbr member extraordinair
    Everyone here is afraid to say it. Im not.

MINIVAN
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

code: mtbr2011
    2 car seats - i'm surprised you have time to ride at all.

we have 1 kid, 2 dogs, 4 bikes and i want a minivan and my wife says no way.

go figure.

ballbuster

Are you near a dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by Big boss man
    3rd Generation outback (2005-2009) and sportwagen have been on th top of my list. I was hoping that I could take both wheels off and get my bike in the cargo area.

Anothe Brian. How is the back seat on your outback, they feel small, but my kids are small now, I am wondering when they get alittle bigger how its going to work
    Bring a moving blanket with you, take your bike and try it out. The sales folks should let you try it out as long as they are reasonably sure you're not going to get chainlube and dirty marks all over the interior.

Maybe even take a look at the smaller SUVs like a RAV4, Tiguan, CRV... those little trucks. Gas mileage is lower compared to a wagon, but still should be in the 23 mpg kinda range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Big boss man

I don't think I could get any of my bikes into the back of my '05 Outback, wheels or no.

I think the room in the backseats will mostly depend on the size of the child seats. We have some monster sized Britax's (Frontier is the big one, and I think Marathon is the slightly less big one) and my wife has insisted the kids will stay in them as long as they can (and they're rated up to ~100#'s!).

The two year old is in the Marathon behind the drivers seat and spends most of the time kicking the seat (drivers seat is all the way back, though not reclined much). He does have room for his feet to dangle. The five year old is in the Frontier behind the passenger seat (which is usually moved all the way forward with the headrest removed for his viewing pleasure) so he doesn't lack room. Since his feet will dangle even further, the passenger seat can be backed up most of the way without him complaining.

I think as soon as you take the bulky kids seats out, there is plenty of room for kids in the back, but not a lot for adults (unless the front seats are pushed forward).

Re: Minivans. Yup, mostly. My wife drives an '06 Honda Odyssey, and if I wasn't infatuated with my mod'd turbo, I'd mostly be happy driving it. There still isn't enough room in the back for bikes when the second row seats are installed without some disassembly (you can fit one or two in crosswise without front wheels, and I need to lower my seat) and it makes carrying other stuff in the back (like suitcases or camping gear) awkward. I put a hitch on the Odyssey so I could use the Thule T2 on it as well. The Odyssey will fit a Big Dummy in with the middle second row seat removed.

My Outback will be up for its first smog this fall, and that may be my motivation to move on. I do like the Odyssey, but aside from how expensive they are, I'd like something taller with even more room like a full-size van or a Sprinter with standing room.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just got a 2011 Outback for the wife. They seem to be quite a bit bigger then the previous model, especially the back seat. The back seat could easily hold 2 rear or forward facing car seats. I'm 6'5" and can sit comfortably in the drivers seat with a Chico KeyFit 30 rear facing car seat installed behind the drivers seat. On the passenger side it's not as comfortable for me since the glove box takes up some space. But the rear facing car seat can also be put in the middle and both front seats will go all the way back.

I don't think I could fit my bike in the very back, but I ride a XL 29er. A smaller bike might be able to fit in there, you would definitely need to take off the front wheel or maybe both of them. The car comes with a roof rack and you could get a Thule Sidearm 594XT that comes ready to mount directly to the factory rack or a Yakima Frontloader which also mount directly to the factory. Or there are some fork mount racks by Thule or Yakima that will mount directly to the factory roof rack that would be a little cheaper.

The 2011 Outback with a the 2.5 4-cylinder is rated for 29mpg on the highway which I think is good for a vehicle that size. Did a lot of research before the purchase and felt like it was the best choice for our needs.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    This will fit two child safety seats and a mountain bike:

http://www.chevrolet.com/suburban-su...rolet_suburban

^ Plus it will give you the added space of an empty wallet every time you gas it up

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    <table id="cost" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="10" align="center" background="images/calculator/headerBackground.jpg" bgcolor="#194375">Compare Side-by-Side

</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> <th colspan="2" scope="col"> 2011 Subaru Forester AWD

</th> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> <th colspan="2" scope="col"> 2011 Ford Escape 4WD

</td> <th colspan="2" scope="col"> 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid 4WD

</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    Hybrid Vehicle
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> </tr> <tr id="title"> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> <th colspan="8" scope="rowgroup" class="newMPG"> Estimated New EPA MPG </th> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> </td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">New MPG tests are more realistic
    </th> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <table width="100%" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="3" class="fuel" valign="top">Regular Gasoline</th> </tr> <tr> <td rowspan="2" valign="bottom">
    City
    </td> <td valign="top">
    Combined
    </td> <td rowspan="2" valign="bottom">
    Hwy
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    </td> <td width="1" bgcolor="#003366"></td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <table width="100%" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="3" class="fuel" valign="top">Regular Gasoline</th> </tr> <tr> <td rowspan="2" valign="bottom">
    City
    </td> <td valign="top">
    Combined
    Hwy
    </td> <td bgcolor="#003366"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    City
    </td> <td valign="top">
    Combined
    Hwy
    </td> </tr> <tr id="title"> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> </tr> <tr id="title"> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    </td> <th colspan="8" scope="rowgroup" class="yourMPG" bgcolor="#EFEFF3">
    MPG Estimates from Drivers Like You
    </td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> Learn more about
    "Your MPG"

</th> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> <table width="100%" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="3">
    Average based on 1 vehicle.
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="40%"> </td> <td width="20%">
    </td> <td width="40%"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td bgcolor="#003366"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> <table width="100%" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="3">
    User fuel economy estimates are not yet available for this vehicle.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td bgcolor="#003366"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><table width="100%" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="3">
    User fueleconomy estimates are not yet available for this vehicle.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> Disclaimer </td> </tr> <tr id="title"> <td>
    </td> <th colspan="8" class="fuelEconomics" scope="rowgroup" bgcolor="003333"> Fuel Economics </th> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" nowrap="nowrap">
    Cost to drive 25 Miles
    </th> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F1F3EE">
    $3.88
    </td> <td width="1" bgcolor="#003366"></td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F1F3EE">
    $4.06
    </td> <td bgcolor="#003366"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F1F3EE">
    $4.25
    </td> <td rowspan="6" align="right" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    Fuel to Drive 25 Miles
    1.09 gal
    1.14 gal
    1.19 gal
    Cost of a Fill-up
    </th> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F1F3EE" nowrap="nowrap">
    $54.30
    </td> <td width="1" bgcolor="#003366" nowrap="nowrap"></td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F1F3EE" nowrap="nowrap">
    $53.01
    </td> <td bgcolor="#003366" nowrap="nowrap"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F1F3EE" nowrap="nowrap">
    $77.11
    Miles on a Tank
    350 miles
    </td> <td width="1" bgcolor="#003366" nowrap="nowrap"></td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F1F3EE" nowrap="nowrap">
    327 miles
    </td> <td bgcolor="#003366" nowrap="nowrap"> </td> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#F1F3EE" nowrap="nowrap">
    454 miles
    Tank Size
    16.9 gal
    16.5 gal
    24.0 gal
    Annual Fuel Cost*
    $2329
    $2437
    $2549
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man
    ^ Plus it will give you the added space of an empty wallet every time you gas it up
    Fuel is not a major component of the overall expenses of owning an automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    Fuel is not a major component of the overall expenses of owning an automobile.
    um....what???

Fuel is the number 2 cost of owning a suburban. Second only to depreciation.

mtbr member
    Both wheels off, most should be able to fit that nowadays. I would worry most about the space capsule carseats out there. Rear facing? Good luck. Forward facing just about anything civic sized and up should work.

I can fit my 19" fs in the back of my 5 series with non-folding rear seats and a pretty useless sized trunk. Both wheels removed of course.

Ditto the moving blanket and bringing the bike. I did that when I bought a Honda fit a few years ago. Wife's new CX9 is excellent and easily fits car seats and could fit a bike in the back. Not small though.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy35
    Both wheels off, most should be able to fit that nowadays. I would worry most about the space capsule carseats out there. Rear facing? Good luck. Forward facing just about anything civic sized and up should work.

I can fit my 19" fs in the back of my 5 series with non-folding rear seats and a pretty useless sized trunk. Both wheels removed of course.

Ditto the moving blanket and bringing the bike. I did that when I bought a Honda fit a few years ago. Wife's new CX9 is excellent and easily fits car seats and could fit a bike in the back. Not small though.
    I could fit rear facing seats in the back seat of my 96 GTi. If you can do it there, you can do it anywhere. That back seat was uncomfortable but tolerable for adults. I wouldn't wanna stick an adult back there for a long drive, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rav4 possibly?

Been looking hard at the rav4, its has a HUGE cargo area. Its very deap and tall, I am thiking I can take both wheels off and but my bike in sideways or put down the center armrest and put the rear wheel down the center

Too bad it has that ridiculous rear door

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man
    Fuel is the number 2 cost of owning a suburban. Second only to depreciation.

I'd still go with the Chev you get much more vehicle and capable to tow an actual trailer if needed for very comparable fuel numbers. I'd pick an escape for one of the small SUV choices .

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Using S-Man's own numbers, you're spending nearly $12,000 in the first year to own and insure it, and less than $3,000 to fuel it. Sounds like a relatively minor expense to me. The OP has yet to mention any concerns about fuel economy anyway.
    Last edited by RIS; 04-01-2011 at 11:45 AM.

So now we are throwing out insults? nice.

What about after the first year? The fuel prices never decrease. In fact they will likely increase. Taxes and fees after the first year drastically decrease. Would you buy a new vehicle and sell it within a year to keep the cost of fuel to cost of overall ownership ratio down?

He did not explicitly state it, but I am willing to bet that fuel economy IS a concern of the OP.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, that was really uncalled for. I feel a little guilty and edited it out. Group hug?

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    I just answered his question. You brought up the economics of it.

If we're going to look for an economical solution, I'll simply recommend a used Suburban.

If I sound preachy when it comes to fuel economy, its because I am learning the hard way. I have nothing against suburbans. I currently drive a full size pickup that tops out at 16mpg, so I know what I am talking about. It's my daily driver. (other than a motorcycle). It hurts when have to take it to the pump.

I suggested a minivan, and half expected to get flamed for it. My next MTB hauler will very likely be a minivan. Their utility is unbeatable....if you can get past the soccer mom stereotype.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    We love our Lincoln Navigator and it can accomplish your needs and let you ride comfortably. However, we do not put a ton of miles on our cars so fuel cost isn't a big concern either. (Sorry, couldn't help throw that in given the fuel discussion above.)

For something a little more fuel efficient, maybe a newer Honda Pilot? A friend just got 2009 and they are surprisingly roomy. Not sure about the cargo space but it looked pretty big.
    2010 GF X-Caliber
    2010 Trek 2.3
    1997 Ventana ECDM (tandem)
    1996 Mantis Pro Floater

Members who have read this thread: 0