1upUSA bike rack question- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    713

    1upUSA bike rack question

    I have an SUV with a 2" receiver and a car with a 1.25" receiver. I think I'm going to get the 1upUSA rack with 2 extensions -- so three racks total. My question is, would it cause too much sway on the car if it's fully loaded? Can a regular car handle 3 bikes with the rack?

    Also, are they suitable for going offroad? I'm not going to be doing anything crazy, but would like to be able to get on rougher roads with the bikes and not worry about it.

    I'd like to get the NSR-4 but it's only available in 2" and I want to have a rack that works with both cars.

  2. #2
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    I have an SUV with a 2" receiver and a car with a 1.25" receiver. I think I'm going to get the 1upUSA rack with 2 extensions -- so three racks total. My question is, would it cause too much sway on the car if it's fully loaded? Can a regular car handle 3 bikes with the rack?

    Also, are they suitable for going offroad? I'm not going to be doing anything crazy, but would like to be able to get on rougher roads with the bikes and not worry about it.

    I'd like to get the NSR-4 but it's only available in 2" and I want to have a rack that works with both cars.
    It's pretty crazy beefy. There is no sway. The 1Up is wedged into the hitch receiver without using a pin, which is a good thing. Hitch pins act as a axle that lets the rack bob up and down. Even on hitches with threaded hitch pins. A regular car can handle 3 trays on a 1 1/4" hitch.

    Nah, thing is way solid. As long as you have ground clearance, you won't have any issues.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    It's pretty crazy beefy. There is no sway. The 1Up is wedged into the hitch receiver without using a pin, which is a good thing. Hitch pins act as a axle that lets the rack bob up and down. Even on hitches with threaded hitch pins. A regular car can handle 3 trays on a 1 1/4" hitch.

    Nah, thing is way solid. As long as you have ground clearance, you won't have any issues.
    Thanks man. I guess I'll bite the bullet and get one -- or three.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    I have an SUV with a 2" receiver and a car with a 1.25" receiver. I think I'm going to get the 1upUSA rack with 2 extensions -- so three racks total. My question is, would it cause too much sway on the car if it's fully loaded? Can a regular car handle 3 bikes with the rack?

    Also, are they suitable for going offroad? I'm not going to be doing anything crazy, but would like to be able to get on rougher roads with the bikes and not worry about it.

    I'd like to get the NSR-4 but it's only available in 2" and I want to have a rack that works with both cars.
    We have the 1.25" version that permits it's use in 2" or 1.25" hitches. We've had it for 3 years and bought it when it was the only version and rated for 4 bikes (not three). The rating is based on the 1.25" hitch, but we only run it with 4 bikes and do it for high speed trips from MN to CO at least once per year. So we have more than 8000 miles on our rack and it works great.

    With the 1UpUSA racks there is no sway (side to side). It is rock solid. When we carry it with 4 bikes (mountain hardtails) or road bikes (cross bikes), there is about 8" up and down bounce at the farthest aft bike when you hit bumps. It looks like more through the rear window but when you look at it with side mirrors and have a vertical height gauge is is only 8" on the 4th bike - in other words, nothing. If you run 1-2 bikes there is virtually no up and down, 3 bikes maybe 4-6 inches. It's a very, very solid rack. The attachment mechanism is essentially an anti sway attachment like you would buy extra on other racks. When locked in place there is zero slop in the hitch. It is solid from car frame to rack frame.

    I would guess you could take them off road, but as with any rack, you'd have to be careful and take it easy.

    Like I said above, the three bike version that (1.25 or 2") can really handle 4 bikes. It was designed to handle 4 bikes, but that fact that it can fit in a 1.25" receiver limits it's load capability due to the specifications for tongue weight on the 1.25" receiver. This is the rack I'd buy, and I'd have no problems using it with 4 bikes (3 add on kits) either on a 2" hitch. That's what it was designed for originally. The design spec was to hold 250lbs on the last kit of the 4 bike set up.

    J.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    We have the 1.25" version that permits it's use in 2" or 1.25" hitches. We've had it for 3 years and bought it when it was the only version and rated for 4 bikes (not three). The rating is based on the 1.25" hitch, but we only run it with 4 bikes and do it for high speed trips from MN to CO at least once per year. So we have more than 8000 miles on our rack and it works great.

    With the 1UpUSA racks there is no sway (side to side). It is rock solid. When we carry it with 4 bikes (mountain hardtails) or road bikes (cross bikes), there is about 8" up and down bounce at the farthest aft bike when you hit bumps. It looks like more through the rear window but when you look at it with side mirrors and have a vertical height gauge is is only 8" on the 4th bike - in other words, nothing. If you run 1-2 bikes there is virtually no up and down, 3 bikes maybe 4-6 inches. It's a very, very solid rack. The attachment mechanism is essentially an anti sway attachment like you would buy extra on other racks. When locked in place there is zero slop in the hitch. It is solid from car frame to rack frame.

    I would guess you could take them off road, but as with any rack, you'd have to be careful and take it easy.

    Like I said above, the three bike version that (1.25 or 2") can really handle 4 bikes. It was designed to handle 4 bikes, but that fact that it can fit in a 1.25" receiver limits it's load capability due to the specifications for tongue weight on the 1.25" receiver. This is the rack I'd buy, and I'd have no problems using it with 4 bikes (3 add on kits) either on a 2" hitch. That's what it was designed for originally. The design spec was to hold 250lbs on the last kit of the 4 bike set up.

    J.
    Thanks a lot for your comments. Very helpful.

    When you say that you'd use it for 4 bikes with a 2" hitch, does that mean that the hitch is 2" but the rack itself is 1.25" and you use the adapter and put on 4 bikes? If so, it's great to know that I'd be able to use it with 4 bikes with my SUV, since that has the 2" hitch and that would be the car I'd use for any bigger groups anyway.

    Also, does the 15 degree upward angle actually help much with clearance? I had a Thule T2 with the add-on for a while and that thing ruined any clearance I had.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    Thanks a lot for your comments. Very helpful.

    When you say that you'd use it for 4 bikes with a 2" hitch, does that mean that the hitch is 2" but the rack itself is 1.25" and you use the adapter and put on 4 bikes? If so, it's great to know that I'd be able to use it with 4 bikes with my SUV, since that has the 2" hitch and that would be the car I'd use for any bigger groups anyway.
    I believe it's the same rack they currently offer for the 1.25" hitch now that they list as a max of 3 bikes. You can run 4 bikes on it but it would not be with the mfg's approval. Mine, when I bought it, was rated for 4 bikes in a 2" hitch with the adaptor in place. So you'd have to make that decision for your own circumstances.

    I bought it for just that reason - it doesn't matter what receiver my car has on it. I'm bright enough to know when I shouldn't exceed the limitations of my receiver. But I suppose that there are knuckleheads out there who aren't and that's why the had to create a different version.

    Like I said, 8000+ miles with 4 bikes at 80mph highway speeds and no problems. We've hit colossal bumps at high speed in construction zones that practically put our SUV airborne and everything was all right (and, by rights, it shouldn't have been).


    Also, does the 15 degree upward angle actually help much with clearance? I had a Thule T2 with the add-on for a while and that thing ruined any clearance I had.
    We haven't had any clearance issues at all. I can't say I've noticed but we've never ever been careful and we've gone anywhere we want to go. It certainly would make a big positive difference if there was a big incline up.

    J.

  7. #7
    Two Tired
    Reputation: CheapWhine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    391
    Clearance with the 1Up is not an issue. The T2 rack you used puts each bike in one position, so you have a clearance issue or you don't. The 1Up allows you to adjust each bike left and right, eliminating the clearance issue. I suppose the 15 degree rise helps a bit, but the left-right adjustment is fast and easy.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scoutcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,987
    ive carried several bikes and have no reservations about its durability. it is definitely more stout than the Thule it replaced. i get way less bounce with the 1up than the Thule... i wouldnt worry about taking it offroad and i havent noticed any loosening of connectors etc. its beefy and durable in ways that doesnt come thru well on their website photos. also never had any fit issues with multiple bikes, its got rise that provides plenty of separation.

  9. #9
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    You can adjust a T2 as well....

    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine View Post
    Clearance with the 1Up is not an issue. The T2 rack you used puts each bike in one position, so you have a clearance issue or you don't. The 1Up allows you to adjust each bike left and right, eliminating the clearance issue. I suppose the 15 degree rise helps a bit, but the left-right adjustment is fast and easy.
    ... side to side. It's just a major PITA to do it while you're trying to load up. You can loosen the 4 5mm bolts that hold the tray down and slide it however you like... side to side, front to back down the spine. But yeah... not something I would try and do while putting bikes on when going out for a ride.

    The 1Up lets you very easily do it when loading and without having to get out the tools.

Similar Threads

  1. 1UpUSA rack - lots of photos and small review
    By JohnJ80 in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
  2. Bike Rack Question...
    By jcruz in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 03:00 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
  4. Folding hitch rack... is 1upusa Ultra the only one?
    By slowride in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 06:58 PM
  5. 1UpUSA Rack
    By QMrider in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 06:11 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.