1UP USA help please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

1UP USA help please

I've got a 1UP USA rack that was used for a while and then sat unused for a while. Now, when I try to install it on my new car, it doesn't seem to fit, the ball sticks out to far, even with the bolt backed all the way out. Is the wedge stuck? Has anyone else had this happen to their 1UP rack?

I tried it on another 1-1/4" receiver last night and it didn't fit the other receiver either. It fits fine on my girlfriends SUV 2" receiver with the adapter installed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sounds like you might be pushing it in too far and the ball is coming out the back of the hitch receiver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

1UP USA help please

Nope, the ball wasn't coming out the back, my hitch actually has a stop on the end of it.

I ended up fixing this thing this weekend. The extension that fits into the receiver consists of four parts: the square aluminum bar that goes into the hitch receiver, the ball that fits into the hole on the aluminum bar, a brass "pin" that touches the ball, and the security bolt that pushes the pin into the ball, making it stand proud of the aluminum bar.

The issue I found, after removing the ball with a set of vice grips, was that the pin had a burr on it that likely came from over tightening. The ball is a bearing, so its got a really high surface hardness. That hard ball was hard enough that it deformed the (relatively soft) pin when it was over tightened. That burr was keeping the pin from retracting far enough, which kept the ball sticking too far out so it wouldn't allow the extension to fit into my hitch. I've attached a picture of the burr below:

The solution was to take a Dremel and smooth the burr out. Once I did that, the ball retracted easily and I was able to install the rack!

Success!!

Last edited by msrothwe; 01-11-2016 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Excellent!

I think a lot of people over tighten that ball through not understanding how the mechanism actually works. All the ball does is prevent the hitch from sliding out the back of the receiver through friction. The load bearing capability of the rack is simply by sitting in the receiver and nothing more. The ball has nothing to do with load bearing capability.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm sure i overtightened the ball and am having the same issue. my fear fear isn't the load bearing part, but more that the whole insert will vibrate and work it's way out while traveling on the freeway. How did you get everything apart? the ball came out through the hole? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm sure i overtightened the ball and am having the same issue. my fear fear isn't the load bearing part, but more that the whole insert will vibrate and work it's way out while traveling on the freeway. How did you get everything apart? the ball came out through the hole? Thanks.
    Yep, the ball just pops out. I used vice grips and popped it out, then dremeled the rod while it was in the hitch insert.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    And when you popped the ball back in it was in there securely? did you just tap it in with a hammer? I have to get a new dremmel, i burned the motor out of my last one... So now do you not tighten it as much and everything is cool? I'm always so paranoid about the thing slipping off. I lost a surfboard rack onetime and it cost me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    And when you popped the ball back in it was in there securely? did you just tap it in with a hammer? I have to get a new dremmel, i burned the motor out of my last one... So now do you not tighten it as much and everything is cool? I'm always so paranoid about the thing slipping off. I lost a surfboard rack onetime and it cost me...
    I used the flat of my hand to get the ball back in. I tighten it pretty hard when I install it.

I'm not sure why you think it's going to fail, the ball is retained in the hitch when it's installed, so it's not going anywhere. If you're really worried about it, run a chain through the rack and your safety chain loops to keep the rack from backing all the way out from the hitch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    yeah, my fear is not logical by any means, just paranoia. I was thinking about a simple coated wire strap to put my mind at ease. I'll do that. And the ball stays in once you popped it back in. I'll try that as well. Thanks man.

Members who have read this thread: 3