1up and the sprinter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

1up and the sprinter

I知 looking at the 1up rack with the rakattach swinging hitch. I知 looking fir those with this combo on a sprinter. I知 wondering if you swing it out can you open the vans barn doors to their full 270 degrees? Also, I was thinking one that swings open to the drivers side better.

what say you?

Jason

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am probably going to put a 1 up inside my Sprinter. I want my bike out of sight as much as possible.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    We have both. Ours swing to the passenger side. thought about driver side decided not to based on if we were parked on the street it would open into traffic. I will have to check but without bikes I am pretty sure there is still a clearance issue preventing opening full 270. I will check when I get home and post a pic.

We typically keep the bikes inside, security and keep them clean. But on trips that we bring a moto along its a bit like tetris. So we keep everything for the long part of the trip and day to day we put the bikes on the rack.
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks Bob,

I handle the bikes much like you. I dont want to be pigeon holed into one method or the other. I like options. My kid has started with NICA, and for overnights I think the rack with be a plus.

I spoke with the folks that make the rakattache and they sell a lot more of the drivers side swings then passenger. This was especially true for those with awnings. So I jumped in. Both feet. $1050 worth.

Thanks for the input.

Jason

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    We have both. Ours swing to the passenger side. thought about driver side decided not to based on if we were parked on the street it would open into traffic. I will have to check but without bikes I am pretty sure there is still a clearance issue preventing opening full 270. I will check when I get home and post a pic.

We typically keep the bikes inside, security and keep them clean. But on trips that we bring a moto along its a bit like tetris. So we keep everything for the long part of the trip and day to day we put the bikes on the rack.
    How do you store them internally?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    How do you store them internally?

In our Sprinter we mounted two Kuat Dirtbag fork mounts to the wall and store them vertically. It does however require the front wheels to be off but it does open up the floor space pretty well and stores the bikes pretty much out of the way. Check it out and feel free to ask any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnem7XMesRw

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    In our Sprinter we mounted two Kuat Dirtbag fork mounts to the wall and store them vertically. It does however require the front wheels to be off but it does open up the floor space pretty well and stores the bikes pretty much out of the way. Check it out and feel free to ask any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnem7XMesRw
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Pics! Sorry for the delay...as you can see, hopefully, cant open the door with the rack flat and not swung out of the way. I have our rack setup, depth into the receiver, so the door almost touches when the rack is swung out and in the upright position. Also we have the 170 EX so with the rack on the passenger side it does not present an issue as far as our awning or use of space on that side when we are parked.

Hope these help!1up and the sprinter-img_3353.jpg1up and the sprinter-img_3351.jpg1up and the sprinter-img_3352.jpg
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.