1UP Security Allen replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

1UP Security Allen replacement

Anyone know where I can source a security allen wrench for the 1UP hitch rack?

I lost mine (read - pretty sure I left it on the bumper)....I've been in contact with 1UP and they want my order number to send me a new one, to confirm I'm not trying to steal a rack.

Problem is I bought this in 2012 and at that time off ebay, even have a screen print of the ebay sale. They reply back saying they don't sell on ebay and therefore it must be second hand and as a result they won't give me a new allen.

Now they did tell me the thread size/pitch of the bolt so I can just buy a replacement non-security one (glad I lost the allen wrench after I took the rack off)...regardless I'd like to key the security allen if possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    There is nothing special about the security key. If you are handy with tools or know someone that is, you can make your own. A standard allen key should fit. You'll just need to drill a hole in the wrench. Get a cheap one from amazon, put it in a vice and drill larger and larger holes until you get to size you need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    There is nothing special about the security key. If you are handy with tools or know someone that is, you can make your own. A standard allen key should fit. You'll just need to drill a hole in the wrench. Get a cheap one from amazon, put it in a vice and drill larger and larger holes until you get to size you need.
    I thought of this...but figured it would be difficult to drill out - maybe not.

Is it a 10mm or 1/2" allen/hex key?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Mine looks like a 3/8 allen key. I would go with SAE sizes over metric because everything else on the rack is SAE and super annoying.

I haven't tried to make more keys, yet, but cheap allen keys from Harbor Freight or Amazon should be soft metal. Take your time and use cutting oil. A table top drill press would also make short work of the process.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just put my allen key in my calipers, looks like a 3/8" allen key and a 7/32" drill bit should do the job. If you have a bench vise and or drill press I don't think it would take long to make your own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Just put my allen key in my calipers, looks like a 3/8" allen key and a 7/32" drill bit should do the job. If you have a bench vise and or drill press I don't think it would take long to make your own.

Thanks for the specs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    UPDATE: they did eventually allow me to buy a replacement...but it's pretty pricey after shipping. I'm going to try the drilling out a standard one first.

All fat, all the time.
    Have you tried a place like Fastenal or Grainger? Even amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-48332.../dp/B002K3ELVO