1Up Rear Ended :(- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011

1Up Rear Ended :(

Guy bumped me today. The rack was in the folded up position...empty obviously.

The cross bar than mounts the springloaded screw down latch was bent down (bowed) far enough that you cannot lift the locking bar out far enough to move the rack to a different position. That itself might be repairable. But the rack also got shoved into the hitch further than it usually goes which makes me wonder about the hitch locking ball/screw apparatus, and potentially the welds around the hitch interface.

Anybody been down this road before?

I'm sure the adjusted will think a new rack is over-the-top, but I think the rack replacement is probably a lot cheaper than the bumper that was unharmed, and I'm going to make a point of emphasizing that he doesn't want to be on the hook for the $20k worth of race bikes that regularly road trip on the those welds that their client just stressed.

mtbr member
    unless your hitch reciever is particularly weak the rack should have absorbed all of the force. Your pin could have sheared depending on the grade of metal involved. As someone who worked in body shops for years(and just had the same scenario last year) a rack replacement would be the cheap way out. i had a hair line kink under the spare tire of my liberty where it hangs on the tailgate and that was valued at $600. The mark was so minor we only saw it after cleaning and looking about 4 inches away.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    The hitch is the factory toyota receiver. Should be plenty strong I'm guessing.

I hope this process doesn't take too long. We're right in the middle of NICA season and we're using that rack for training and racing several times a week. Aint got time for this S.

mtbr member
    Call 1UP they will help you with all the parts you need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Happened to me this summer.

Their insurance cut me a check for a new rack. Since the trays were undamaged I called 1 up and asked if they just sold the bottom rectangle of the add on rack without the trays. They do, and it was only $75. I guess it worked out since I was considering buying an add on anyway.

mtbr member
    I had a guy hit mine from the side coming around a corner. His insurance company quickly cut me a check for the full replacement cost of the rack and then sent an adjuster out to check the hitch on my Audi. He got there and said "it's hot out here and I am not crawling under your car, just get a quote from Audi for a full replacement hitch and I will cut you a check". Audi gave me a quote but said mine was not damaged but I sent it to the insurance company and they cut me a check for it too.

The Adjuster also told me he was supposed to take the old crashed rack but said he didn't really have any place to put it so he told me to just keep it. I sold it for $200 in less than a day.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    They replaced the full rack 2 tray base unit and the 2 extra trays. I think the insurance company realized that an empty rack is way cheaper than a full rack and that replacing a rack is way cheaper than replacing a bumper and hitch.

I was able to get the old rack into serviceable condition, but I don't fully trust it. When the guy hit it, it shoved the rack further into the hitch hole (it compressed the spare and the rebounding tire pushed the rack back out to its normal position) and the edge of the hitch hole creased the weld where the square hitch block mounts to the pivot base. AL welds are sketchy to begin with. I figure its probably safe for use with 2 bikes because the leverage with 2 is a small fraction of the anticipated design load which assumes 4 bikes on a lot longer lever arm, and the total financial exposure from a failure is obviously half as much. In the mean time I inspect the weld area every time I put a bike on or off