1Up Rack takes one for the team...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

1Up Rack takes one for the team...

So I'm driving home from a ride today and got the "sorry I wasn't paying attention" right in the a$$. My 1Up appears to be toast... At this point it is stuck hard in the hitch and I'm not sure how to get it out. I pounded the daylights out of it with a rubber mallet and it didn't budge.

My insurance will take care of the car but won't help with the bike and rack. Rear will is like a potato chip, derailleur is questionable and I'm guessing/hoping the frame is okay but I need to figure out how to verify that it's okay.

I figured I'd share a few pictures of my misery...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wait, what covers the bike, the other insurance company? Your homeowners?

mtbr member

Re: 1Up Rack takes one for the team...

You need to go after the at fault driver or their insurance for the bike and rack.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, I need to contact his insurance tomorrow and go from there. I'm pretty bummed right now. I'll send pictures to 1Up but am certain a new rack is in order, it will be another 1up for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I figure I should add one of the other car...

Workin for the weekend!
    Rope or chain the rack to something strong (fat tree?) and let 'er rip!

Make sure the locking pin is out... ;D
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    You need to go after the at fault driver or their insurance for the bike and rack.
    Absolutely.

I was hit from behind and it wrecked my rack. I informed my insurance carrier but went to the other person's insurance firm so I had no claims on my own policy. My rack was old and not a current model so I only got 80% of a new model like it which was fine by me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Your insurance should not be involved at all. Unless I'm missing something and you are partially at fault.

Yeah!
    Check with 1up, they may have spares and can send you what you need... only appearS to be a bent hitch arm. If they don't, I'd be willing to take it off your hands for a price rather than toss it.

Rubber mallets don't go far with hitches. At a minimum, I use my 3lb steel mallet, sometimes just to get things in and out of the receiver.

Your receiver is most likely open-face at the other end. If so, just get a long bolt or some steel pipe, center it so you don't bend the tabs (presuming your hitch is class 1), and hammer it out. Don't chain to a tree... we've already seen what happens when someone does that...

Not sure why your insurance carrier won't deal with the rack... my insurer (State Farm) automatically handles any and all damages when someone else is at fault. Sounds like an insurer being lazy?

Also, to bitflogger, there is no claim against you when someone else is at fault. In fact, even if you are at fault, there is no claim against you if your insurer does not pay out to you or someone else. The incident can be in your records, but it cannot affect your insurance rates if there is no payout. Now, if you have a lot of these incidnent, payouts or not, they may decide to drop you as you have proven to be a high risk driver

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Other guy had state farm, he accepted liability and they are now handling it, there was a bit of silence when I told them the value of the bike and rack then they asked for receipts. I told them brake light was not working on passenger side and they said to take it to the repair shop. The guy at the repair shop said it was drivable and that people drive around like that all of the time. I asked for something in writing stating they or state farm would cover any tickets and he said to leave it... I guess I'm more paranoid then most when it comes to broken tail light lenses and non functional brake lights.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
    Other guy had state farm, he accepted liability and they are now handling it, there was a bit of silence when I told them the value of the bike and rack then they asked for receipts. I told them brake light was not working on passenger side and they said to take it to the repair shop. The guy at the repair shop said it was drivable and that people drive around like that all of the time. I asked for something in writing stating they or state farm would cover any tickets and he said to leave it... I guess I'm more paranoid then most when it comes to broken tail light lenses and non functional brake lights.

Did they tell which repair shop to go to? I never go to an insurers recommended repair shop. They tell you some BS about how if you take it to their recommended shop the work will be covered for life but good luck making a claim on that. Your tail light should definitely be replaced!
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: 1Up Rack takes one for the team...

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Did they tell which repair shop to go to? I never go to an insurers recommended repair shop. They tell you some BS about how if you take it to their recommended shop the work will be covered for life but good luck making a claim on that. Your tail light should definitely be replaced!
    Actually their repair shop is the Honda dealership that I've purchased all of my vehicles from for the last 20 years so I expected a little better treatment. He agreed the tail light needs to be replaced but wanted me to drive it like it is until the 16th when he can slot me in. My concern is having a mangled bike rack hang in from the back of my vehicle, broken tail light and non functional brake light, socket broken by rear derailleur, would make me a target to the law and a ticket would just add insult to injury. In the end he kept the car and the offer of rental still stands but I now feel guilty for not driving it around for two weeks.

So far I give big props to State Farm as they've been very pleasant to deal with and when I said brake light didn't work they said take it to the shop. As of now bike or rack have not been addressed so we'll see.

Yeah!
    There's some asshats that park where my wife works... her car has been hit four times. No cameras, no witnesses, a pain in the ass. I've just taken payment from State Farm for the lenses, slapped some taillamp tape over the holes until the new parts arrive, no problems. Police know that isn't typically an in stock item, and won't give you crap unless it's a year later and the tape is falling off. As long as the light is red and not white, they don't care, unless you're acting a fool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've driven with a busted trail light for years, with red tape on it. Been pulled over with it like that it was a non issue. I would definitely push for the rack and bike being covered. Do you have any lawyer friends? Just a call from a lawyer can grease the wheels. Don't bother taking the rack off let them do it. And pay for it too. They will probably just bill the ins for a new hitch and unbolt it entirely. Also, have you seen the metal the hitch is attached to?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I've driven with a busted trail light for years, with red tape on it. Been pulled over with it like that it was a non issue. I would definitely push for the rack and bike being covered. Do you have any lawyer friends? Just a call from a lawyer can grease the wheels. Don't bother taking the rack off let them do it. And pay for it too. They will probably just bill the ins for a new hitch and unbolt it entirely. Also, have you seen the metal the hitch is attached to?

Honda dealership included the cost of the rack +25% markup in the estimate and insurance okayed. Yet I'm still in limbo on the bike. Honda dealership said the hitch is okay, however, when I asked for something in writing stating that the hitch is safe to carry three bikes on a rack they asked if I'd accept a UHaul hitch as a replacement. Go figure. With the exception of the bike State Farm has been quite pleasant to deal with.

Yeah!
    OMFW... class 1 hitches are rated for 200lb tongue and 2000lb tow. A dinky little aluminum bike rack getting slammed by another car... your hitch doesn't know there was an accident. I don't think it would have mattered if the insert had been solid 7000 series, which is stronger than mild steel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I agree but the hitch and bolts should be inspected at a minimum. The hitch took 100% of an 5 to 10 Mph non braking impact

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    While that is true, the hitch is rated... Its rated at very specific angles and conditions. Plus, this is a passenger car, not a truck with a frame. The hitch itself could be ok, but the unibody it's bolted to, that really depends on the hit.