1up Quik Rack with 4 bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

1up Quik Rack with 4 bikes

So I have 2 cars, one is an SUV with a 2" hitch the other is a commuter with the 1.25" hitch.

I would love a bike rack I can use on both cars, as well as have the option to carry 4 bikes when utilizing the 2" hitch

The bikes I carry are pretty light, 2 sub 30lb mountain bikes as well as 2 kids bikes. I realize that part of the issue is leverage vs outright bike weight but curious if I could use the Quik rack for both of my use cases

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yes. Get the base hitch rack in the combo 1.25/2 version. Then buy 2 add-on rack kits.

The other option is to buy roof trays and then the hitch assembly and add-on mounts as replacement parts. You spend a little more, but end up with both roof and hitch racks.

You can also call customer service and ask them about mixing and matching. They are very helpful and walked me through the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Appreciate that - in your example though, there is only a 3 bike solution, which is consistent with the 1up website. I am looking for a 4 bike solution

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Something that is not clear on their site is there is no limit to the add-on rack additions. They bolt to each other and that's it. If you want a single hitch rack and 3 add-ons, you can do it. If you want 5 bikes you can do that too. I'm sure it would impact the warranty if they could prove it.

I did see a Sprinter van here in CO with 5 bikes. 2 adult and kids mountain bikes.

If you are responsible with the load, I don't think there would be an issue. These things are really heavy duty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It has been a few years since I bought mine, but back then they had a 2" for 4 bikes, but the catch was it was minimum double, i.e., the min rack was 2 bikes.

I bought the 2" single and back then you could add 2 to it, so 3 max.

I haven't looked at their site in a while so no idea on configuration today.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I had a 2" double plus 2 add-ons for the SUV,

then got this Adapter for the hatchback and put 1 or 2 add-ons on that.

Only slight downside is no tilt, but I only used it with bikes, so that was a non-issue for me.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/add-on-hitch-adapter/
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    To have four bike capacity you have to buy the Heavy Duty Double or Super Duty Double plus two add-ons. Then with the adapter above you could put the two add-ons on a 1.25 hitch, but it wont have any tilt capability as also stated above if that matters.

If you want three bikes on the 1.25 hitch then you have to buy the 1.25 - 2 Single instead of the adapter and then you could put the two add-ons on it. It might be cheaper to buy stock in the company, lol.

mtbr member
    What type of car is the commuter and can it fit a 2 receiver hitch? It might be the cheaper route and you can be in compliance with 1ups recommendation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Something that is not clear on their site is there is no limit to the add-on rack additions. They bolt to each other and that's it. If you want a single hitch rack and 3 add-ons, you can do it. If you want 5 bikes you can do that too. I'm sure it would impact the warranty if they could prove it.

I did see a Sprinter van here in CO with 5 bikes. 2 adult and kids mountain bikes.

If you are responsible with the load, I don't think there would be an issue. These things are really heavy duty.

No here are the limits:

* Any single can only have two add-ons so three bikes total.

* Any double can expand to four bikes total.

* Heavy duty handles 50lb/bike and super 75lb/bike.

Although heavy duty the hitch/ball/under support still needs to support the hitch and bike weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Mine is either 50 or 75, don't recall, but I wanted to be able to support ebike in future.

I have carried 3 bikes at once at about 100 pounds total. No problem, but my hitch support s the load, too.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk